Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'd need at least eight hours' viewing time to tell that one even close to properly.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think a Civil War storyline would have to take up an entire Phase of movies, culminating in an Avengers movie.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the groundwork for a Civil War-type story could be laid in Agents of SHIELD, perhaps. There are already some hints of that in the show, with SHIELD's efforts to catalog and contain "gifted" people.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Civil War was a terrible crossover. i can think of half a dozen events that could be better adapted.

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

There aren't anywhere near enough superhumans in the MCU to tell a Civil War story properly, and I doubt they'd want to link an entire "phase" of movies that closely.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

More importantly, the story requires the heavy hitters to work. It can't be B listers and original adaptations.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

They've got the most important heroes for that story: Captain America and Iron Man. Everybody else is just taking sides with them.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The problem with doing a cinematic Civil War is that, with so few super heroes, everything comes down to Thor and Hulk. You would need one on each side or there would be no contest. I guess Hulk would be Anti-Reg, but why the hell would Thor be Pro-Reg? And the story, on a plot/power basis, would become Thor vs. Hulk and not Cap vs. Iron Man.

9. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would assume that Thor and Hulk would either be mia or otherwise neutralized during any potential civil war storyline.

A larger problem for a potential adaptation would be trying to get Downey's Iron Man into a place where he can believably stand up and support a Registration act so passionately that he's willing to fight his former allies over it. So far, mcu Iron Man has been extremely distrustful of shield and the government both, and he's been continuously proven right about that, so something big would have to happen, probably several times over, to get him to that kind of about face.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

A widow spits in his face :p :lol:

11. Christopher

You know, I think I would not be interested in seeing a Civil War adaptation. Sure, okay, the issues of security vs. freedom are worth exploring in this day and age, but I really have seen enough of heroes fighting heroes. I can buy the idea of heroes initially being at odds due to a misunderstanding or difference of priorities, but ultimately their shared commitment to heroic principles should enable them to move beyond that and realize they need to work together. What was cool about The Avengers wasn't, for instance, seeing Tony and Steve bickering; it was seeing them instantly put their differences aside and work together the moment danger struck and lives were at stake.

And I agree, it really is hard to see Tony Stark buying into the government's pro-registration line, especially in the extremes to which it was taken. That felt out of character to me. I recall there was a lot of inconsistent characterization in and around the Civil War event due to all the different writers not being on the same page. It seemed that characters were forced into actions and attitudes that they'd be unlikely to support just in order to drive the story. That's not something I want to see in the movies.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm not familiar with the Civil War storyline firsthand, but from what I've heard of it, I can't see that sort of thing working at this point in the MCU. This world is too young and, as has been pointed out, has too few heroes. Also, SHIELD already knows who all of the major heroes are and keeps an eye on them to the best of their ability.

Maybe it could work at a much later phase when they've developed more properties. In the meantime, CA:TWS is clearly exploring the security vs. freedom issue in its own context.

13. DEWLine

The Civil War scenario seems like the kind of thing that would happen after ten to twenty years of dealing with crises ten or twenty times a month.

14. Alidar Jarok

Well, having Downey Jr. for it was my biggest doubt.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It's too early for that kind of scenario and too early for the heroes to be at each other's throats. Another decade could flesh out that situation nicely as more superheroes emerge and questions are asked about "who watches the watchers?"

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's what I thought too. This is a man who stopped manufacturing arms, refused to hand over his technology to the US government and military and was rude to a senator. Pretty much the opposite of the Stark of Civil War, from what I know of it.

17. Alidar Jarok

That's a good point. It's part of the take on Stark in the movies I hadn't considered. How does it compare to his character as a whole from the comics? I've always understood him to be a bit more right wing than other superheroes.

18. Christopher

Well, I remember reading the J. Michael Straczynski-written Amazing Spider-Man issues that led into Civil War, and in them it seemed that Stark held pretty much the opposite view on registration than he did in CW. Although I think the idea was that he was anti-registration until the tragic incident that set off the miniseries changed his mind. But I do recall reading reviews complaining that a lot of characters were written inconsistently among the various series involved in the crossover.

19. DEWLine

While Bendis had him seeing something like Stamford coming from months, possibly years, away...and trying for a "let's get ahead of this so we can ride it out properly" outcome.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Now...if, as some have speculated, Marvel Studios plan to develop a Defenders franchise in the same continuity...

...and if the heroes involved in that leg of the MCU aren't the types to answer to SHIELD...

...and if, after the Defenders have had their own team movie, Marvel can still get back the major actors from the Avengers franchise...

...imagine the glory of an Avengers vs. Defenders film somewhere down the road...!

A lot of huge ifs, I know....