Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 19, 2009.

?

Grade "Terminator Salvation"

1. "I'll be back!" (Excellent)

31 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

61 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

50 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. "If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average)

26 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. "You are TERMINATED." (Poor)

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say I was a bit surprised that Kate Connor had such a small role, and that her obvious pregnancy was never mentioned.

2. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll give my review tomorrow.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the lack of acknowledgement of her pregnancy was strange.

One other thing I didn't like...at the very end, the T-800 has John Connor in its clutches. Now, logic would dictate that the Terminator would snap Connor's neck and that would be the end of it. Nope. He picks up Connor and stupidly throws him across the room. What the hell did that accomplish?

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen the movie but I think he'd have done better to sound like Michael Biehn.:)

5. xanderwess

xanderwess Commander Red Shirt

I just got back from the show. I liked it, lots of big explosions and the action was good. I liked the Marcus guy too and Chekov was good. The ending was okay too, don't let all the negative bull shit some of the posters are tossing around fool you. Alot of this came from T1 and T2 and some T3 (ah, you know you all liked it.....)

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

A whole new page of reviews, all leaning positive, and yet still a bunch of negative votes without any commentary to back them up...

Hrm...

Cameron-ites, maybe?

7. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I gave it an excellent...
    For people that seem to not like the whole future war setting...what were you expecting???
    I thought that all the terminator fights (and there were alot of them) were well done.
    I wasnt there to follow a character from the beginning to end like you do in the other Terminator films. I just wanted to see skynet and see what its like where there are Terminators everywhere...
    They have alot of places they can take the story in the next one...They have to show how the Resistance starts to learn how to actually take control of terminators and a whole bunch of other stuff...
    I cant wait for Terminator:Resistance
    Oh and what was the leaked alternate ending about???

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I found out it was playing tonight, so I rushed out to see it. Everything's been said, so I'll just say I enjoyed it. I'll go with "average". It was nice to finally see a whole movie set during the actual war. Loved all the new machines. Schwarzenegger's cameo was great too. It was nice to see him take time out from governating to do the movie. He looks as fit as ever. In all seriousness... Special fx have come a long way haven't they? Remember how fake the dummy terminator head looked in the first movie?
    Yeah.

I didn't either.

I thought I was done but I have a few more thoughts...

- I was kinda hoping that the molten metal John poured on the T-Whatever would turn out to be the stuff used to make the T-1000s. In fact, for about a second or two, I thought it was the liquid metal getting up.

- What can they do that would cover two more movies? Right now I'm thinking the second one could be about sending Kyle and the T-800 back and the third could be them winning the war for good.

9. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

IMHO, for future films, it's simple:

There are two routes to go. Make the next film the future war we've all seen before but never in detail. Phased plasma rifles. T-800s. The resistance truly beaten down. Have Skynet have come back from this film with a vengeance, and pushed man to the brink. No choppers, no planes, no subs, none of that stuff. Truly rag-tag tech-com, people living in old storm drains. Give us that, with the end being them winning a significant victory and uncovering intelligence about Skynet's planned time travel machine...

The third film could then be one of two routes: either the epic final battle, in which they defeat Skynet and send Kyle Reese back, and we end with man rebuilding, humanity united, all our differences of the past finally settled by our common realization: we are not each others enemies, we are all human.

OR... the third film could be a remake of Terminator. Have the film begin when Kyle is sent back, past Skynet defeat, as he said they'd won when he was sent back and the time travel was Skynet's last chance to pull victory out of the fire.

10. Agent Richard07

The movie also did a good job of cementing John Connor as the leader of the resistance. One question I've always asked is... How did he get to be leader of the resistance? What makes him of all people worth following? OK, that's two questions. Well, setting him up as a voice of reassurance and understanding of what these machines are, followed by having him step up in a big way by rescuing hundreds, then finally filling the void left by a wiped out leadership really worked and didn't seem contrived.

11. Agent Richard07

Only problem is, I don't think a movie with just fighting and not much else would make a good second film. We've seen that already, so the next one has to be about something more significant. They have to take the whole story to the next level and not just give us more of the same with a payoff only at the end.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

My local newspaper reviewer made a comment that John does not recognize the T-800. I am guessing this is a total miss read on the guy's part.

I am seeing it before work tomorrow. GLad to see fan reactions are favorable.

13. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So even layman reviews on an Internet message board have teasers now?

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the film was shit, why would I want to waste my time talking about something that sucked so badly? I would rather talk about things I enjoyed!

15. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I might write a review if I can find time, I enjoyed writing my Star Trek review, but I don't know if I can get up the desire. The film was disappointingly bad. Not as terrible as T3, but pretty damn bad.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I didn't go in with high expectations. My only hope was that it was better than Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation managed that. The movie was highly entertaining but it didn't have much substance to it.

On a superficial level, this movie reminds me of Star Trek. Solid acting (oddly Anton Yelchin was one of the few I wasn't impressed by in Star Trek but loved him here), great character moments, wonderful references to the franchise, awesome special effects, but the story didn't connect. I loved Arnold's and Linda Hamilton's cameos, but I disappointed that Kate's character was just...there. It's clear to me that a lot of the backbone of the movie was cut out, and like others have said, I hope there's an extended cut that helps flesh out certain elements of the movie. On that level, the movie reminds me a bit of The Incredible Hulk, although I much prefer the latter.

Again, like Star Trek, I hope the sequel has a stronger story and gives more to the supporting cast. Overall, much better than Terminator 3, but it doesn't hold a candle to Terminator 2.

17. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

I agree with that post 100%. This was arguably the best aspect of the movie. You could also see that Connor's concern for human life in the movie fits in nicely with Kyle's statements in T1, how Connor was the man who taught humanity how to storm the gates of the concentration camps and smash those metal motherf#@$@ to hell, something that we will probably see a lot more of in T5 (hopefully).

It would be nice in the second movie to see the resistance truly beaten down to the point like was said, there are no aircraft etc. One thing to keep in mind is that Skynet after J day didn't just automatically start pumping out terminators, Hks etc. It also had to bide its time and build up its army, therefore it is kinda plausible that resistance is able to still field some hardware here and there due to the fact that Skynet may not yet have enough crap to pound them into dust. Keep in mind, Skynet is waging a world war here, and while the resistance is doing the same, it is trying to stamp out an insurgency which is always hard and difficult to do.

I just hope the movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel. Yeah, I know that there are sequels planned, but how many planned trilogies have we seen go up in smoke because the first one didn't make enough loot? I fear that a lot of bad buzz from the reviews may kill the move. I just hope with a sequel we have a significantly stronger story.

18. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I just dont understand all the "It lacked a good story stuff". Terminator movies have never been about good stories. They were not much more than horror/sci-fi movies. I think this movie pulled that off. I certainly am happy that the terminators didnt build a female terminator to get John to fall in love with....Now that movie would have sucked...
    As much as I love Star Trek...I actually liked this movie better...

19. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

IMO Star Trek was VASTLY overrated. It was a good movie in that everything about it clicked, but the story was very, very weak. It reminded me a lot of Iron Man, everything clicked and it was a fun ride, but the story and plot were weak.

20. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

wow, these ratings are all over the place.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying about the Marcus reveal in the trailers. It's too bad.

I know quite a few years have passed but didnt Sarah Conner's voice sound very different? She sounded old.

What's the Marcus TSCC connection that someone mentioned?