So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I would have just preferred a bit less of it, not a more fake version. Like I've said, I still really enjoyed the actual story, the rampant science talk just took me out of it sometimes. It's also a bit weird because I've never really seen it this much in a ST book. Still, overall the book was a great story, just with some moments that made me really scratch my head. When it comes to books by Christopher, it doesn't match the two DTI books (which are legitimately two of my favorite Star Trek books, probably in my top 10 if not top 5) but, even if the science was confusing, I still thought The Buried Age was a very good book. I'd also put Ariel's species as one of the best book specific aliens.

Also, it's kind of weird to hear this is normal for Christopher's books, since I had zero problem with anything in the DTI books. Then again, I've only read his DTI books and The Buried Age. Maybe I'm just better at understanding time stuff than I am the science in The Buried Age, although it does seem like the hardcore science is more prevalent in TBA than it was in the DTI books.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reading Voyager: Protectors and really enjoying it so far.

3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

So why aren't we talking about it? I'm about 60% into the book.

4. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Serpents in the Garden by Jeff Mariotte. I was surprised by this one. I actively disliked Mariotte's two previous outings, Deny Thy Father and Folded World, and was expecting this to be more of the same. Instead I found this to be...average. It kept me turning pages but really didn't add anything to the mythos.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading the e-book of the omnibus edition of STSCE: Foundation. So, do we ever get to hear the rest of "the Telerite story"?

6. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recently got back to my big 24th century chronological read-through. I wrapped up the novelization of "Relics" (great book BTW, loved the stuff Mike Friedman added to the book, unless it came from an earlier script of the episode) and am now on TNG: "Here There be Dragons." Normally I can't stand pure fantasy fiction, with dragons, etc. but I am loving this book so far.

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Having finished all the Hornblower books, as well as Jeff Lang's "The Light Fantastic", I'm currently rereading "Doctor's Orders", one of my favourite trek books. Awaiting the final hardback edition of James Robinson's brilliant dc series "Starman" in the post so I can do a long awaited reread of that.

Frigging loved that book. Felt like it could have easily been an episode.

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

:guffaw:

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just finished KRAD's Horn & Ivory. It was excellent. I know it came first, but it reminded me a bit of the story that DRG3 was telling about Kira/Keev in Revelations & Dust, mostly due to the apparent time travel to the distant Bajoran past. Next up is the aformentioned DRG3's Twilight :techman:

10. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead. It's book 3 in the Bloodlines series.

11. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I finished Protectors and am looking forward the next installment. Great series so far. I'm on to Captains Table by various authors in the interim. The Amazon write-up is promising, and some of my favorite TrekLit writers are on the credits.

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of One Constant Star by David R. George III.

Right now I'm reading The Klingon Art of War by KRAD. And loving it, I might add!

13. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Thank you so much! Fourteen years later, I still count that as one piece of fiction I'm particularly proud of.

Yay! :) I look forward to your review.....

14. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished KRAD's Demons of Air and Darkness last night and following that up with Horn and Ivory tonight.

Now that I think about it, my previous read was A Gutted World, KRAD's contribution to the Myriad Universes collection. Not really my intention, but it seems I'm on a KRAD streak recently...

15. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I'm just over 50 pages into The Light Fantastic by Jeffrey Lang. It's PURE AWESOMENESS so far. :bolian:

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw in the table of contents for Foundations that it apparently has the whole thing presented as one novel, rather than three novellas. So now I'm just wondering, where do the original novellas end?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There are three flashback tales making up the "novel." Each novella incorporates one of the flashbacks and its frame, before and after. So Book 1 is Chapters 1-8, Book 2 is Ch. 9-17, and Book 3 is Ch. 18-25. Although Books 2 & 3 open with a bit of recap/bridging material that's deleted from the novel version -- no more than two pages' worth in each case, I'd say.

18. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finishing up with Executive Orders by Tom Clancy.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading The Wounded Sky by Diane Duane. Its a fairly early pocket TOS book (#13), and it shows. I'm not quite sure what the 496 species of humanity are (that's a slight paraphrase), but I'm guessing its a Star wars like concept, with humans who live on different planets being referred to as being from that planet (like how Han Solo would call himself a corellian instead of a human). I think almost 500 different kinds of human's is a bit excessive myself. Also, the author writes some scenes like she had a thesaurus and dictionary right at hand, making coming out of warp (which shouldn't take more than 10 words unless its a weird situation) go on for paragraphs. She also has a weird grasp of ships at warp (I'm 100% certain that the Enterprise at warp couldn't physically destroy a comet in real space by flying through it).

Still, these are just weird things I've noticed, I'm not very far into the book yet. I've liked the few books by her that I've read before, so some of the weird stuff doesn't bother me at this point.

20. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I finished The Indigo Spell today. On to The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014