Amazing Spiderman #700

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by BillJ, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm not familiar with Marvel, so this happened in the main continuity/main-stream universe (616, IIRC?) or is this different line sort of like the "Ultimate" universe being a separate one than the main one?

If so, I think I can see why fans would be pissed, but it may all unfold in some major way in the coming issues maybe even with correcting the much maligned One More Day.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amazing Spider-Man #700 is 616. My guess all of these overreactions are people who have not been actually reading Slott's run and are just reacting to the spoilers (as I mentioned in the Marvel thread when we were discussing this). People who are reading have been mostly underwhelmed or are like me who have enjoyed the issues and are fascinated to see where this is all going. Then of course there are just the Slott haters, who have come out of the woodwork thanks to this.

3. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Stopped reading comics a long long time ago. Not a fan of this idea but never a reason to threaten a writer over fiction. Eve. If they kill Peter you know he wont stay dead

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly I think it might be too confusing to be permanent

Really the new guy is in the old guy's body is kind of :wtf: basically, seriously this has got to be the most confusing way to replace a superhero ever.

5. Admiral_Young

It's not confusing at all if you've been reading the book and not just the spoilers :) Also again it's part of an unfolding story. It is not permanent. Like I said, most people who have been reading Amazing have been pretty underwhelmed at this story. I admit it's not the most original thing in the world either. I just don't see the point of overreacting like most people have.

6. Hartzilla2007

And if new people happen to show up their supposed to just go back to the back issues?

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a jumping on point?

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There are no new readers. All the "new reader" are just returning readers. I think they can all figure out who Dr. Octopus is.

8. Admiral_Young

^Well said.

9. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's strange that people are complaining about this as if it's the first time a hero has been temporarily replaced (does nobody remember how great Brubaker's Cap was when he replaced Steve Rogers for a time?!?)

It's just the next story, it's funny to see the people who say "I don't read comics and I'm so glad I don't because of this!" as if this was just done out of nowhere, isn't actually a fun read to most of those that are reading it and will remain this way forever.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

More confusing than Peters Clone returning from 5 years in exile running from his other grumpier clone only to discover that he Ben Reilly is the real Peter Parker and not Peter Parker and that he is the rightful heir to the Spider-Man legacy, so Peter walks away and hands over the tights to some guy he's tricked into thinking isn't a clone?

How does this impact on May Parker, the Spider-Girl of the Future?

Are we supposed to believe now that all through her ten years of adventures that her father by her her side was and always had been Otto Octavius?

11. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's always been a different timeline, Marvel-1122. (unless you were being facetious, I apologize)

12. Guy Gardener

I have never been silly in my life!

I'm just remembering all the trouble Stark went to wipe his memory, 6 or seven atomic powered super scrubbers, spread out across the world, he had to fight his way through a chore of rouges galleries to access, before he was comfortable enough to imprint himself with a backed up version of his personalty he felt safe with, even though he was unaware that it had been compromised by the Mandarin which turned him into a wind up toy soldier.

13. Hartzilla2007

its that people might be confused as to why he's in Peter Parker's body and just why would he want to be a good guy all of a sudden.

Besides I don't see how tying something to your new jumping on point promotion to attract said returning readers into story lines that actually need you to go back and read old stuff to know what the heck is going on doesn't defeat the purpose of the promotion.

14. Hound of UIster

That was to wipe all the national security data including the superhero registration database and prevent Osborn from accessing it.

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mephisto already fixed the marriage.

16. Guy Gardener

I know why, I'm laughing at how.

All that herculean shite Stark went through; yet Doctor Octopus could have done accomplished the same dealio with one gold Octodrone in a New York minute.

17. Hartzilla2007

More like broke it to make Spider-Man's sadist fans happy.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Nope. Slott is doing excellent work. #700 (and Avenging #15.1, for that matter) was great story-telling, and I can't wait to see what's coming in Superior Spider-Man starting two weeks from now.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You do realize that not being able to attract new readers is a bad thing, right?

20. Hound of UIster

You do realize the problem with gaining new readers isn't content, but rather that comic companies have been cut off from the main avenues where they previously were able to gain them.