Mythbusters Does Star Trek ?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Hermiod, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Yes, he did.

However, there was a show I watched years ago where Leonard Nimoy talked about his memories of being in Star Trek. IIRC, he seemed to think there was a telepathic component but that was before we ever saw Picard, Data or Archer do it.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^All this proves is that it's far too vaguely and inconsistently defined to be testable, even if it were possible to test it safely.

If we want something Vulcan-related for the Mythbusters to test, how about the idea that pointed ears improve your hearing in a thin atmosphere? That might be testable with latex ear appliances or artificial ears.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Why would we test the Vulcan Nerve pinch? Do we have any Vulcans around? It was made up by Nimoy on the day of shooting! It's not as if any serious scientific thought went behind it.

I do look forward to seeing the "Arena" myth tested. Should be fun. I wonder if the gun will fire, or simply explode?

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'll let the picture do the talking.
    [​IMG]

5. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

6. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

8. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

With the Gorn cannon thing...we all know what will happen...it probably won't work at first, blowing the bamboo shaft appart, then they'll do it again and Grant, Kari and the other guy whose name escapes me make big "WHHHOOAOAAA! AWESOME!!" noises as it finally fires.
    That stuff gets old real fast.

9. thedude

thedude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek + MythBusters = ZOMGROFLSTOMPBBQ

I can't wait. I would love to see them test out the "Red Shirt" myth that they always die...

For instance... revisit the lighting strike/tongue piercing... but put one in a red shirt, and one in a blue shirt...

Put 10 dummies in a line 5 feet apart, and hook a machine gun up to a 180 degree swivel on full auto... unleash it and see if the dummy in the red shirt (placed at random, of course) takes more hits than the others.

And then, of course, just blow shit up :-) Oh, with red shirts... duh!

10. thedude

thedude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tory ;-)

11. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Please keep us fureigners informed of the date when this gem-to-be airs!

12. Christopher

Someone did a statistical analysis of that once. Actually most of the casualties in the first season wore gold or blue shirts. The "redshirts always die" myth comes mainly from a few episodes with high redshirt counts, such as "Obsession," "The Changeling," and infamously "The Apple," where they actually beamed down this enormous 10-member landing party in two trips just so they could have four spear-carriers to bump off in quick succession.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Speed bus jump ?

14. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Freakin' awesome!

As for the calendar, they might be trying to see if they can jump a bus over a bascule bridge like they do in the movie Speed.

15. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Didn't they do that as part of the big special at the start of the most recent series?

And from the newly opened box in the background there do we assume that Amazon sells Gorn masks?

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

They did the part where Keanu makes everyone go over to one side of the bus so it does not flip over when they go through a hard turn.

17. Christopher

"Drive in dark" sounds interesting too.

18. Messianni

I'm curious what they mean by "drive in dark". What kind of myth would that be?

Edit: Echo!

19. Messianni

Indeed they do, and more!

Gorn mask: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costum...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247594776&sr=8-1

Mugato mask: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Co-Classic-Mugato/dp/B0026XRLCO/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_b

Balok mask: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Co-Classic-Deluxe/dp/B0029F1WNS/ref=pd_sim_t_1

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I fgured the Speed Bus Jump would have to be comming -following the tight turn from Speed.