PRODUCTION: 23rd or 24th Centuries (and others either side)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

This is not a thread to say which type of fan film I prefer - I love Phase II and Hidden Frontier/Intrepid, but I've noticed that a lot of films tend to go towards TOS and that's cool.

I guess I wanna talk about logistics, most TNG, or even movie era films are greenscreen made as the sets are a lot more sophisticated to replicate.

However a few fan groups have created TNG era set:

Borg War3: Atlantis [1998]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5nTL2Wu4F4

Defiant Syle Bridge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUxwvYjwbo

Das Vermachtnis [halted in post-production - from 2.52 onwards; shuttle and bridge]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfdpx_3d2s

I guess a TNG set is harder mainly because of the LCARS systems, and the richer furnishings. It's so sad that the Experience isn't in Vegas anymore because dare I say it there were potential ready-made sets!

Fans may know about Starbase Studios in Oklahoma City which houses an Enterprise bridge to use and of course Farragut Films and CEC/Retro Film studios have their own sets. There is, however, a reconstruction/restoration of the Enterprise-D bridge coming to a permanent museum, and they've already lent set pieces to Star Trek: Renegades. They do plan to be welcome for groups to film on.

I guess if I was doing my own film I'd want a physical set but I know it can be expensive - ANY era!! What do others feel about this? Could an interior replica of say Voyager exist someday?

2. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

My problem with the 24th century episodes is that so many of the greenscreen systems don't work for me. I don't care for Hidden Frontier, but do like Intrepid a lot. On the whole I prefer full-size physical sets to anything, and I hope to someday see both a TNG and a Voyager set made available for filming.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Actually, LCARS panels are some of the simplest things to do. All you need is to have the artworks printed on a transparency (at FedEx/Kinkos, whatnot) some smoked glass and a light. A lot easier than switches and blinking light boxes.

4. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I prefer sets too. The only reason we don't have full sets is we simply don't have the resources. If we did, we'd build 'em. I don't think they'd be any more complex than TOS style sets, and I agree with Maurice's comments about the ease of making LCARS displays.

Money is really the only issue when it comes to sets.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I'm very excited about the decision by the folk in Oklahoma, Starbase Studios, http://starbasestudios.net/ , to separate their sets from their production. In response, in addition to the group those sets were designed to serve, they have had seven other fan film groups make plans to use those sets. If the users take good care of the sets and they or their fans make contributions to keep them available, it opens the possibility that somebody will decide to create t TNG bridge, or less ambitious, a Voyager type bridge. If those are well used, you may see a larger array of open use sets. I would expect the TNG or VOY sets to be built somewhere in Europe, either the UK or Germany, since most of the European fan films are from that era. (The UK produces both TOS and TNG-era films, while most nations produce predominately one or the other. E.g., most fan films out of Canada are TNG era films, most fan films out of the USA are TOS era films).

There is also a growing library of Fan-made Star Trek music that fan films can draw upon. The subtitle of this forum is actually becoming fact... resources are being assembled so that fans ... be they highly skilled or just enthusiastic... can try their hands at making their own Star Trek. How nice is that for those of us who enjoy watching these efforts? Truly, a happy day!

6. USS Intrepid

Well if it's not built anywhere near Dundee, any such set wouldn't be much help for us personally.

FWIW, a TNG style bridge would be much easier to do than a Voyager style. :)

7. Barbreader

I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you would know better than me! :guffaw:

I maintain my absolute cluelessness on such matters.

Oklahoma City is close to the geographic center of the 48 contiguous states, plus it's one of the less expensive cities in the nation, so it has some special aspects that make it a particularly good place for that set.

I don't know where the geographic center of England, Scotland and Wales would be, or how expensive those areas are with regard to rents and hotel rooms.

Ticonderoga is not expensive, but it's remote and not easy to get to.

The sets in Georgia are not remote or in an expensive location, but they are charging a non-trivial fee.

Hence, my focus on Oklahoma City.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  8. Danlav05

he Defiant seems easiest being small, Star Trek: Deception built a runabout.

The Enterprise-D has a simpler shape than Voyager - how hard would the Ent-E be to do? or simply design a new style bridge. The videogame Star Trek: BORG set during the Battle of Wolf 359 used a redressed Excelsior bridge from VOY: Flashback. I think Starship Farragut are building a movie era set - maybe that can be redressed for the TNG era and vice versa?

Then there's corridors, transporter room, sickbay etc. some areas would be easier than others!

I don't think I should mention DS9 lol space stations are big and difficult! Borg War 2: The Romulan Factor (not online) used an office block at night, outside it was pitch black, which was all silver and futuristic for a Starbase.

9. USS Intrepid

Barb, attitudes to travel are rather different in the UK to the US. Most Americans don't think twice about driving for four hours. In the UK, that would be more of a barrier. I don't think there's many of our locals that would be willing to make that sort of trip for an unpaid gig. Frankly, I'm still amazed Giles Aston was kind enough to make the Trek to Dundee.

It's not the size that's the issue, it's the complexity. The Ent D style would be one of the easiest due to the low number of video displays/LCARS compared to other designs.

Defiant's bridge would a more complex set to build. IMO.

10. Barbreader

I am sure you understand Brits far better than I do! In fact, I am just as sure of that than I am that you know more about filmmaking than I do!

That said, people here in the Northeast do not drive four hours at the drop of a hat. California, the West, the Mid-West... you are probably right. But it's much more than four hours drive from Illinois to Oklahoma. I think the issue is that people here jump on a plane easily. I know that's odd, and the Europe and Asia have much better rail systems than we have. Anyway, you make a good point.

11. Danlav05

Absolutely, I remember in the mid-00s Intrepid, Hidden Frontier, New Voyages, Farragut etc were all sharing resources and ideas. One big community of people who want to play Trek :) Of course people are still sharing now.

Interesting statistics there, yeah practically all the major US efforts are TOS and speaking as a Brit yes TNG and Voyager are the more loved here.

Das Vermachtnis/Christoph Hees built a partial TNG Bridge [I don't know if you remember Willi Wiegand, the German Spock, promoted it around the web before it was pulled in post-production] as well as the shuttle. How hard would corridors/turbolifts be to do?

I think if there was a central British location it would be Birmingham which is the middle of the country, Germany is also so well-known for Trek fandom. Dio you know about this? http://newstarship.com/

They have said they will be inviting fan filmakers to use the set.

If there was a studio here in Europe or America or anywhere they could have TWO bridges and one of everything else - yeah the Enterprise and Voyager were different but Trek 5-10 ALL borrowed sets from the current TV Shows!

So I guess it's doable but the main issues are time, money and a space to house it all!

12. USS Intrepid

Sets yes, but the bridges were distinctly different. The point remains, the TNG bridge is much less tech heavy than the others, and likely a cheaper to build. A smaller, original bridge based on that design would be a more practical option than the more display-heavy Voyager style.

Corridors and other sets are another matter entirely. :)

13. Danlav05

I do see what you mean Nick :)

14. Barbreader

I have been reminded by somebody who does not wish to enter into this discussion that there are other partial sets, including three TOS bridges, George Kayaian's, the Eagle set, the Mohave set, and the Movie-era Potemkin set, which includes more than a bridge. The last of these is in Georgia, and does NOT charge for use. I was referring to the Farragut set, which does. I stand corrected.

15. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the listing, Barb. It's impressive to think of how many sets there are, and just how many are available. I really hope Starbase Studios can get more sets added. The Farragut/STC sets in Georgia really look nice, but I think it's a pity that they're charging what's apparently a fair amount for use, as I think it would really help a number of productions to have inexpensive access to such a complete set.

16. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Barb, do you think you could add a section to your website with listing of Sets and their locations?

17. Danlav05

have you also got a list of productions and where they are based? it would be interesting to know!

sorry if its putting you out, listen to us giving you all this work ;)

18. Barbreader

Danlav 05: You will find my fan film production map here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html or here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=....640503&spn=26.320794,127.210694&source=embed . In some cases the information about the film at Star Trek Reviewed has been moved, but that move in not reflected on the map. Use the index to locate where that information is today.

I listed, supra, where all of the sets I know about are. I know that four of them... James Cawley in Ticonderoga, NY, the Oklahoma group. the Farragut group, and Randy Landers Project Potemkin which has TOS movie-era sets, have made it known they will share their sets. Only Farragut charges. In addition, I know that some of the others I mentioned above HAVE shared their sets, even if they have not announced it. There may be other sets I don't know about. You can locate these groups on my map. I assume their sets are in the same city as I have them marked. All of these sets fall within what I call "Golden Age" Star Trek.

There is a group in Florida talking about building sets for a TNG type ship for their fan film. I have encouraged them to separate the set-building group from the filmmaking group, and make the sets more widely available. They are early on and nothing may come of that. Most people to announce plans to make a film never do.

There is a facebook page that attempts to organize and connect would be Star Trek Fan Filmmakers to resources available to them. Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/661629063854564/

I think it would be great for somebody to create a website that sources resources for making Star Trek fan films, from sets and props to mikes and cameras, from CGI software to fan-made music. I applaud the threads here that offer advice. But Star Trek Reviewed is about WATCHING Star Trek Fan Films, not making them. It is aimed at the casual viewer who would watch if they were easy to find and he or she didn't have to wade through the politics and the search engines and the 101 pre-announcements and banners and posters of which only 5 eventually released films. That person finds Star Trek Reviewed and can just watch films. To the extent I find reviews, I also link to those. I have no interest in expanding my mission, but will gladly link to a website that organizes the location of resources.

19. Barbreader

You can thank my secret objector. I just report the news, I don't make it. The fun thing about a reporter's life is you get to talk to many of the principles of the subject you cover, even though you are just a fan.

You and anyone else can help Starbase Studios with a donation. I know they'd like to create a full set of sets, and they have the talent and know-how to build very good sets, too. All that is lacking is cash. Want more? Send them ten bucks... or whatever you can afford or whatever it's worth to you.

And James Cawley does make his sets available, too. So it is not the case that the only full TOS sets charge.

20. Danlav05

i notice you use the Golden Age, Silver Age etc labels, which is a very unique way of labelling. I tend to go

1. Prequel era (anything before The Cage)
    2. TOS era (The Five Year Mission)
    3. Movie Era (TMP - Generations Prologue; inc Yorktown: A Time to Heal?)
    4. The Lost Era (the gap between Gens prologue and TNG)
    5. The TNG Era (Season 1 - Generations 24C scenes)
    6. The DS9/VOY Era (DS9 Season 4 --> Nemesis)
    7. Post-Nemesis Era (so including most of Hidden Frontier up to say the end of Star Trek: Odyssey)
    8. The Far Future (Online, Phoenix, Star Trek Countdown, Renegades I think etc...)

i know a lot of people just go TOS era, TNG era the far future and pre-TOS but I see the Enterprise-D as TNG and the Enterprise-E as... something else, moving beyond that.