Trek Fans Worldwide- Im Outraged!!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by agustaoexfh, Dec 6, 2013.

1. agustaoexfh

agustaoexfh Cadet Newbie

I have to apologise for joining this forum purely to inform
    all ST fans around the world to the following article published
    in a National Australian newspaper.

Here is the link:

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertain...ws-in-tv-history/story-e6frfmyi-1226777154341

Heres my reply:

Samuel,
    How typical of a university graduate of your generation. And Ive dealt with many of you believe me. Opinions such as yours have allowed drivel on radio to flourish, television to proliferate utter garbage and newsprint to constantly output trash such as yours. Star Trek TNG: Worst TV show? Seriously? Need I remind you that STTNG spawned a global revival in the Sci-Fi saga, multiple feature films and a world wide following. Something that you will never achieve with columns such as yours. Thank you for cementing my opinion that graduates of your age group and ignorance, having gained their diploma, can now be classed as professional idiots! Murdochs got a real winner there mate!!

Sent by B Candusio via IPhone

Heres his email: Samuel.Clench@news.com.au

Please help and support my cause in rebutting this
    goose!

Many thanks

Bert

2. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Welcome to the forum ... I saw that article on the news and just thought that the person that wrote this was an idiot. And I flipped a few tables too (don't ask)

In the end, no way will take it seriously. I think that has caused more rage than any other show on that list.

3. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

It's such a shame that putting human excrement in the mail is illegal. I have diarrhea today, and there's an Australian newsblogger who I'd very much like to ship it all to, complete with gift wrap.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The guy is just trolling to get a response on Twitter. His surname made me chuckle.

5. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

*facepalm*

Anti-intellectual, ageist, generalizing, and getting butthurt over nothing. Yeah, you did Star Trek fans a real favor. Thanks.

6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

It is OK if someone isn't a Trek fan, or even hates it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and life is too short to get upset because someone disagrees with you.

For example, I enjoy watching Comic Book Men on AMC. One of the guys on the show (Walt) doesn't like Trek. I, personally, don't particularly enjoy comic books very much. This doesn't make either one of us a bad person.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yep. He's just mocking tv shows for shit and giggles. On the list of things to be outraged about, it's pretty low. (Definitively lower than wearing socks with sandals or putting ketchup on spaghetti, for example.)

Your reply, on the other hand, was... well, definitively not pleasant, to say the least. A weird mix of elitism, anti-intellectualism, and "get off my lawn!" sentiments.

I'm sorry, but you are on the wrong side here, by a long mile.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Is that the only crime for which there is still a death penalty for in Italy? :lol:

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree-

-- oh wait just a d**n minute, that guy did not just call out Hannah Montana...

[​IMG]

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Obviously, no. No sane man would ever write a law against it, because no sane man would ever think about doing that.

There is, however, a very special place in Dante's Inferno for people who indulge is such an unthinkably blasphemous heresy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

While throwing together a sausage, sweetcorn, mushroom, cheese and pasta concoction yesterday for lunch, I used a liberal amount of tomato sauce as well. It was rather yummy. :p

12. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, "My Mother the Car" was pretty lame.
    Guy's an idiot. Move on.

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It might have been different if the original author had written something intelligent to begin with but he didn't. Nothing to be outraged about.

14. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Put me down in the "So, the guy doesn't like Star Trek. So what?" column.

15. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

No, why would I? Because a guy thinks Trek is cringeworthy? That doesn't offend me at all.
    What offends me is your answer, I would prefer rebutting that instead of the article ... but I'm too lazy and don't care enough.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion and what they class as a good TV show or a bad one. And whilst it might be true to say TNG or any of the ST shows are the best TV shows ever, the reverse is also true they aren't the worst.

But the fairest way to judge a TV show is by it's contemparies, or put another way what was on in the same era. i.e What other TV shows were airing around the time of TNG and not comparing a 25 year old TV show to a modern one.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Pretty much.

Mr. Clench (whoever he may be) expressed a half-baked opinion in the newspaper, and about all the response it really merited was to turn the page and move on to a different article. (For a stronger retort, a muted "Harrumph!" before the page-turn ought to be more than sufficient.)

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Attacking someone for an opinion you disagree with is to forfeit the argument.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad he doesn't like Star Trek. He would sully, SULLY this great franchise with his fondness if he ever developed any. Star Trek doesn't need the likes of him, HELL NO.

20. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haters gonna hate.