Green Arrow (CW)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 13, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^I didn't think any of those things were going to happen especially Laurel putting on a costume to help Ollie.

I'm not sure why everyone is convinced half the cast is going to turn into superheroes.

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I expected the episode to end with Oliver walking out of the building with Tommy's body and Laurel and Detective Lance seeing that he is the Arrow.

Though that may be how season 2 opens if there isn't a time skip.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I do not get it either. Other than, its a comic book show everyone will have a code name and costume. This show is not Smallvile. Thank God!!!! Roy is the only character I think will take on the role of working with Oliver but that could be a long time from now. Maybe he will never wear a costume. Think John Blake.

No offense Lighthammer but none of your predictions I saw coming. Its not that type of show. I am glad they did not cram too many reveals and shocks into a single episode. The show was renewed and has time for story lines to naturally develop.

I had predicted right in this thread that Tommy could and should be killed. Doing this the writers have solidified by respect for them. Turning Tommy into a villain who replaces his Dad would have been a cliche and completely out of character. There has been tension between him and Oliver but not much beyond that. He thought Oliver was a murderer I could never see him becoming like his Dad.

Tommy fulfilled his purpose on the show. Looking back he was largely there to setup his father. It was a mystery in the Pilot why Oliver friend was called Tommy MERLYN. But he actually was a strong character in his own right. But once Malcolm was revealed as his Dad and the split with Laurel and friction he had with Oliver, his function was complete. Otherwise what would there be to do with him? Jealous ex boyfriend? Angry former best friend, turned super-villain? No thank you. That would have been a soap opera... in other words Smallville. I am very pleased that this series does not feel the need to keep the characters frozen and not changing for years to maintain the status quo.

4. sojourner

Maybe Tommy's death will be the impetus for Oliver to stop killing.

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Moira isn't dead, thank god.
    It was a great finale, I did not see the second device coming, I'm so used to the good guys winning that I did not expect Merlyn's plan to be successful. I'm sad to see Tommy go, at the start of the series I didn't care for him but I did like his and Laurel's relationship and he was a good friend to Oliver (most of the time). Personally I don't care for Oliver/Laurel at all, can't they just be friends and allies instead of lovers?

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who noticed the episode title?

"Sacrifice".

Is there an echo in here?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I did not expect the second device either. I am glad part of Malcolm's plot succeeded. It means everything that happened this season will have an effect on the whole run of the show. This whole series has been around the Undertaking. If it had been completely stopped and wrapped up they would have had to completely start fresh. But the characters relationships are so tied to it.

8. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

From the first half of the season I was pretty sure Tommy was either going to turn evil or get killed. So that wasn't a shock. But it was well done.

I also thought that Det. Lance was probably going to get killed to make room for the new cast members(plus his character really has nothing to do in many episodes). So I enjoyed the misdirection of his conversation with Laural the most of anything in the episode. It'll be nice if he becomes the Jim Gordon to Ollie's Batman, but it'll have the downside of giving Laural even less to do(and shoe-horning her into episodes was already something the writers were struggling with).

Moira was another one on the chopping block, with the Undertaking plot over, her character really has nothing to do except be a normal mother now. Presumably she'll be reduced to a recurring role next season, or maybe just one or two appearances in the whole season.

9. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

I so didn't expect the second device. That was brilliant.
    I liked Roy's scene at the crashed bus. Loved the Merlyn versus Diggle and Arrow fight. Really the fight choreography on this show is superb

10. Guy Gardener

If Diggle had come into the room shooting instead of talking... Sigh.

How the frakk do these people keep outrunning bullets?

11. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Its a good finale. A couple of my predictions came true, but there were surprises too. I knew Tommy would not turn evil but I never anticipated his death. I didn't anticipate that second device either.

The writers also did a good job of setting up the next season with the fallout of the second device creating a vacuum for villains to swoop in and take over, Roy's growth and I wonder what Laurel's role will be.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I hope not, they have to keep her, Susannah Thompson is too good to let go. They'll find something for her to do, she's not a normal mother, she's Moira Queen and now probably hated by most of the city, she has to redeem herself somehow.

The current main character they should get rid off is Laurel, she's this show's Lana and they found their Chloe with Felicity, they should dump the dead weight.

13. sojourner

I am guessing Moira's trial will last most of next season. Gives a plot line for both Laurel and Moira to work on.

14. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

That was awesome! Very movie-esque.

15. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I both expected and didn't expect it.

The character is too good, but the death of Ollie's parents is almost as defining as Bruce Wayne's parents dieing.

I think this was an interesting twist to redefine the character. Now these events will also weigh on Ollie.

Yea, I have to admit, the episode title had me expecting everyone had a chance to die. Heck, for a second, I even thought Ollie might die and they might do something strange like fast forward and have Thea become Green arrow or Diggle become Green Arrow (though I will say that was only for a moment and only be wondering to what extremes they might take it).

I made for compelling viewing because it was hard to gauge who would actually die. Almost the entire main cast could have died, in theory.

Very valid points.

Nothing to add to your points, but I do agree with them.

I guess QFT

If it does I will be sad.

Speaking as someone who went to school for Law, though she was complicit in what happened, there's a portion of the law known as the force of personality doctrine meaning if someone forced you to do something under death threat, you're actions are mitigates; not necessarily dismissed, but mitigated.

Arresting after the press conference, legally speaking was absolutely the right thing to do. No question. Investigating her ties to the situation is also legally sound as is having a trial.

Finding her guilty for conspiracy or terrorism under death threat is certainly not founded and the show would be doing the justice system a disservice "rendering" such any sort of a verdict in a fictional show.

16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The finale was awesome. I liked the battle with merlyn, and Tommy's death was surprising. Olliver's Mom admitting what she did on tV was interesting. I did think Detective Lance was going to die, and while I like him well enough I wouldn't have been that dissappointed if he died. I think the cop obsessed with bringing in the vigilante thing has run its corse. I'm not saying the cops should just suddenly start treating Oliver like an ally, but the obsessed cop thing was getting a little old.

Overall, this show has been great so far. I'm excited for season 2.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

That was simply epic and already Arrow has surpassed Smallville's entire 10 year run in this one. :techman:

18. sojourner

Good thing I said "trial" and not "found guilty". The trial can easily be dragged out over a season.

19. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suppose THAT's true.

If they go that route though, being someone who was educated in that profession (note, I don't currently work there, so practical experience may be lacking!) I'd almost like to see them take some "artistic license" and not drag out a long trial to demonstrate clear, swift and fair justice; but an investigation taking the much of the season, especially if she is exceedingly complicit, could be very interesting and open up a whole slue of new plot elements.

Heck, if her willingness to pursue the truth becomes a guiding principle of the Queen House, that alone could really help define Ollie's role as a hero in a way he can wholeheartedly follow in her footsteps with pride.

I think seeing her come forward the way she did REALLY touched Ollie in deeply profound ways and the story could play on that while still having Moira work towards repenting for her crimes and being brought to justice.

I might go so far as to say there could be some really profound moments ahead with this line of thought (provided they pursue it in some way).

20. Guy Gardener

But all she has to be made free is kidnap and threaten the death of all the jurors and the judges children, or pretend to do that to prove how bound she was by Malcolm.