"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, so he didn't abandon the Bat while in Gotham. He had to jump into the water

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

"You're in for a real show kid!" ... or something to that effect, says the older cop to the rookie. Another homage to The Dark Knight Returns. :bolian:

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

So is this going to become the new "Nuke the Fridge"?

4. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know... Lucius Fox has demonstrated before that he likes to design things with ejection systems that are vehicles in and of themselves. Catwoman was zipping around on part of the original Tumbler a full 8 years after it was destroyed.

We saw Batman in the cockpit. We did not see the cockpit in the Bat. (Or did we? I was not watching for details like that last night).

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Mild spoiler

[​IMG]

;)

Some day's you just can't get rid of a bomb!

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It should. For all the bitching about that with Indy he wasn't at ground fucking zero. He was two miles away inside a lead lined box.
    Batman was 40 feet above it in a light weight gyro-copter on steroids. Five seconds to detonation we know he's still in The Bat.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not going to get to a minimum safe distance in 5 seconds no matter what kind of ejection system you have...not in reality, of which many like to harp on Nolan's Bat films for existing.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Microwave Emitters

Phones capable of shutting down power in a skyscraper

Fusion reactor capable of generating clean energy

For all the jabs at Nolan's Batman series being too realistic he certainly has some not too realistic scifi devices.

9. Agent Richard07

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Just because we see Bats in the cockpit right before the detonation doesn't mean that shot took place a second before the detonation, they could have been playing with the timing of the shots to mislead you.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

All of those devices are real.

"Microwave emitters" - You can buy one of these at Walmart for around $20, they've been common in homes since the 1970s.

"Phones capable of shutting down power in a skyscraper."

While nothing I can point to, something like this isn't implausible and I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA didn't have something like it.

"Fusion reactor capable of generating clean energy."

Not sci-fi at all. Sure, it's the Nirvana of clean energy but creating nuclear fusion is already possible it's just a matter of harnessing it and controlling it inside an atmosphere and being able to generate it without the use of nuclear fission. A nuclear fusion power source would generate a fuckload of clean energy as nuclear fusion wouldn't pollute, use up scare resources and the radiation generated would be limited.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Didn't Lucius say the bomb would take 40 days to degrade? That would seem to be our upper limit for how much time passed.

13. Agent Richard07

^ I thought Bane said 5 months when they were taking the core out.

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

He said 40 days from the point he was talking. Five months was specified as the time it would take the bomb to go off from the removal of the core.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think I need to see those parts again. I recall him saying 40 days for it to degrade from the point it was removed. Bane's men remove the core almost immediately upon arming it. I don't recall 5 months having passed at any point before that.

16. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I think it's Gordan who states the bomb detonates 20-some days after it's activated. That gives Bruce a little over 2 weeks to come back at 100% from a vertebrae popping out his back via a healing punch and magic rope.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

True. More time could have passed between that shot and when the movie switches back to the perspective of people in Gotham...

Although even with a lead of 20 or 30 seconds, that still wouldn't be enough to survive a blast like that.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

The bomb does indeed take 5 months to degrade. The point at which Gordon, Tate, and Fox are talking about the bomb, there are only 23 days remaining and they need to come up with a plan. Batman has not yet returned from his exile at this point in the movie.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Look, it's all about the structure of the ending. You can't take the Florence scene in isolation. You have to put it in the context of the scenes around it, which are clearly not visions or dreams. It sure looks like Batman is dead, but . . .

1) Lucius: Hey, Bruce fixed the autopilot before the fatal flight. Could it be?

2) Gordon: Hey, where did this brand-new Bat-Signal come from. Could it be?

3) Blake: What's that, you say that pearl necklace disappeared again? Could it be?

Gee, what could this all mean? Do you think that . . .

4) Yes! Bruce is still alive, which is just what all the other scenes were setting up. That's the whole point of all those other epilogues. Along with Blake becoming the next Batman, it's the payoff to all the hints they were dropping in the other scenes.

You have to pay attention to the structure of the ending, not just the Alfred scene on its own.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  20. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief that Bruce Wayne is not in the Bat as it flies out to the bay. This would mean that when it detonates, he's probably safe on land. Since we don't see this, it's only speculation.

However, what I'm not willing to suspend is that the Bat is capable of reaching the minimum safe distance of six miles off the coast of Gotham (the bomb was previously referred to as having a six mile blast radius) when they are still on the ground with less than 2 minutes left to go, discussing what to do. The Bat would not only need to be capable of speeds well over 150mph (plausible) but they would have needed to be hauling ass and not waiting around.