'Friday's Child' question...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by LMFAOschwarz, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a bit surpised at the reactions this episode is getting. I've always found plenty of good things - location shots, Vasquez rocks, Scotty playing cat and mouse with the Klingons, some nice banter among the crew, and DeForest Kelley is fantastic (as usual). On the downside, the Klingon ship was a horrible blob of light, and the transitions from the studio to Vasquez rocks - with both supposed to represent Capella - were pretty jarring.

Oh and, yes, I agree, Bob the Klingon can't hold a candle to Kor, Kang et al.

Funny you quoted this, I was just about to as well - because that might be what we hear, but it sure isn't what Bob's lips were saying. Either Bob is a terrible lip sync, or they were removing a reference to something that didn't make the final cut - 'Kligat' or 'Makeen' maybe?

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Bob the Klingon would have won if he'd had Pete, Link and Julie with him.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The kligat is a traditional Capellan weapon. It's what one of them uses to kill the redshirt. They actually named it in the episode, didn't they?

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been years since I've seen Friday's Child. Thanks for pointing it out; I'll keep my eyes open next time it's on.

Perhaps they decided after the location shooting that "weapon" was a better choice, because they figured that the average viewer would be too confused by "'kligat'"? I certainly agree that the line, as the reference I used transcribed it, is superior to that alternative, simply because it's more accessible.

5. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hadn't seen this episode in years, but I watched it last night and... well, is the baby really McCoy's or what?

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Of course it is, because Capellan pregnancies last for many years (which is how long it had been since the last time McCoy had been on that planet)... :vulcan:

Eleen didn't want the kid, so when McCoy kept trying to get her to say to herself, "The child is mine," she agreeably said, "Okay, it's yours."

7. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was mostly McCoy's expression that confused me, like an "uh-oh, what have I done?" face. This is after already realising that she's just repeating what he's telling her, as if he'd just realised something else. And then he doesn't elaborate on it for anybody afterwards. It really struck me as strange.

The timeframe isn't stated in the episode; I just noticed that he said he was there for "several months", so I put two and two together and apparently made five. :)

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Hey, if Kirk can have an illegitimate child, why not McCoy?

9. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

haha I call him Bob too

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why it was so awkward when Chekov falls in love with Joanna in the first draft of The Way to Eden and they changed it to that lovely Russian woman.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Why would that have been awkward? I don't see what the two episodes have to do with each other...?