Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 19, 2009.

?

Grade "Terminator Salvation"

1. "I'll be back!" (Excellent)

31 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

61 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

50 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. "If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average)

26 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. "You are TERMINATED." (Poor)

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always wondered this so I'm going to ask point blank NX, are you a pro in any capacity in the business?

I saw it at a general sneak via GoFoBo.com as I see 50% of the sneaks I attend. At best they check us "general population" attendees for recording devices. I've never had to sign a NDA. The point of these screeners, as I understand them, is to get early buzz going. Talking about that is the only way to do that.

I'd say more but as I said in my first post in the thread I want to discuss it and not write up a monologue type review.

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

How was the "Arnold" cameo? I heard that it happens at the end.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Not any longer I'm afraid, but I still have a lot of friends and contacts who are. Little hint of what I used to do: I hold an advanced degree in international marketing. The only reason I think I've been permitted to see it early was because of my connections to the Terminator WIKI at this point and a phone call I made to a friend I graduated with. My specialty with TSCC was because I had worked with much of their staff previously, but I am not now nor have I been employed by Hollywood; just know a lot of people who are (and no they won't arrange for me to appear in the films :mad: :D).

Long story short. At the moment though the firm I worked for after graduation has closed due to the loss of a rather large contract. I am enjoying my pseudo, temporary, retirement and considering going back to university to get a law degree or a PhD.

4. Captain Craig

Cool, thanks NX.
    Maybe due to who you saw it with and when(I presume a few weeks ago) is why you had to sign the NDA.

Brew, I thought the cameo was excellent. A nice cheer went up at that moment.

5. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

I think I have invested too much into this movie, if it sucks I will be highly disappointed. Man just think, Terminator fans could really have a bad week, first TSCC gets canceled and then T4 sux? Wow....

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm currently half way through Alan Dean Foster's Novelization of Terminator Salvation and the plot is really interesting so far. I don't think I'll be able to see it this weekend due to a lack of funding but will wait a week since I get paid next week. I've been looking foward to it and I have the soundtrack which is pretty good but not as epic sounding as I thought from Danny Elfman.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be buying Danny Elfman's score this week, but I have been listening to his "Opening" track and I like what I'm hearing so far. Definitely not his usual "style" per se, but I think it fits the sort of world and tone that McG might be going for. I like that Elfman's mixing it up at the very least.

8. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Are there legally-available samples online? I'm hoping for some good sci-fi music after the blandness of Giacchino's forgettable Abrams-Trek score.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-Sa..._1_23?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1242196057&sr=1-23

I don't think Elfman can top Giacchino's work for Star Trek, though. To each their own, I thought his score was simply marvelous.

10. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

No, "marvelous" is Bernard Herrmann's work for Vertigo or Maurice Jarre's work for Lawrence of Arabia. Giacchino's not even close. I actually found his score reminiscent of the comic-book-movie-boilerplate that I normally associate with Elfman.

The TS score does seem fairly good, though.

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The novelization is a bit different from the film. The ending is NOT INCLUDED either.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Bringing this back up since some locations are starting to show the film this evening.

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

For everyone who says Harry Knowles is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about...pretty much all of you...you'll be happy to know he hated it and ended his review with a definitive "fuck this movie."

Like he really hated it.

So that must mean it's awesome, right?

14. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

NX

Your a big fan of the series and story, did you like the movie?

15. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a Terminator (films -- except T3 -- which I did not care for) fan. Post-9/11 apocalyptic vision or not I'll be there on opening day.

You know what you get with a Terminator film.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm not allowed to say until tomorrow afternoon due to the NDA I signed. Sorry everyone (description above of why I had to sign an NDA).

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You can't even give a thumbs up or down?

18. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...NDAs don't usually restrict your opinion if you can express it in such a way as not to give details. However, I'm assuming nx must have signed something with language embargoing any kind of "review" until opening night.

RT makes it pretty clear that this film is not the next Citizen Kane.

19. Captain Craig

Harry has become a sell out in recent years.
    He didn't get any exclusive interviews for his site or set visits.
    I've seen it and unlike NX, I didn't have to sign any NDA.
    THUMBS UP, yes its a great movie. I'm seeing it again Saturday!

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it.