Cool, Syfy UK are showing DS9!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Mar 18, 2013.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never met a fellow Brit who agreed with me that DS9 was the best Trek. In fact, they all seem to think it sucks and vastly prefer Voyager.

An example of Broken Britain if ever there was one.

3. DS9forever

Yeah, the love for Voyager is a bit baffling. "Counterpoint" was voted the best episode in the 2001 Star Trek Night, beating "The City on the Edge of Forever", "Far Beyond the Stars" and "In Theory".

Don't forget though that the readers of the UK magazine voted DS9 as the best series and "What You Leave Behind" as the fourth best Star Trek episode.

4. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am british as well and i know what you mean everyone in my family bar me and one other loves voyager more.
    Great i never knew that.:)

5. DalekJim

What You Leave Behind wouldn't even make my Top 10 DS9 episodes so it's still a weird choice :p.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

DS9 towers over the rest of Trek.

Who the hell could prefer Voyager ? All the Trek fan's I've ever come across think it's at best 'a bit iffy'.

The first properly good DS9 episode 'Progress' is on soon then...

7. DalekJim

Everybody I know. Which admittedly isn't many people as I'm an anti-social recluse, but it's all I have to go on.

I started a Star Trek society at university and few people were big on DS9 at all. Though they only really hated JJ Abrams-Trek, you could tell most only cared about TNG.

8. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back in the 1990s, everyone I knew preferred DS9 to Voyager. I used to buy the CIC DS9 tapes, and another friend used to buy the Voyager ones. Mine were always lent out to friends more often!!

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I can definitely see preferring TNG to DS9, if you can will yourself to ignore the first two seasons exist.

But how can you prefer Voyager to either of them? Voyager was explicitly designed to be TNG-lite.

Having all Treks to pick from and picking Voyager is like having all beers in the world to pick from and picking Budweiser.

Is the UK just generally anti-serialization? Most BBC series I've seen are very episodic.

10. DS9forever

I think "Emissary" and "Captive Pursuit" were properly good as well.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    My very vague memories of few DS9 season 1s I saw were that it was tonally dark, with angry characters and iffy make-up, and - let's face it - basically a Western in space (not a genre that hugely appealed). Voyager was, and is, just lighter, frothier fun. And they had a spaceship.

Of course, I've seen the light with DS9 since :). But VOY will always be first love.

12. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think that is the case sadly, those of us who like serialized arc heavy shows tend to be in a minority here in the uk in my opinion.

13. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The reason I always preferred voyager over the other series is because it's what was on when I was growing up. Born in 93, so Voyager was the one that was new by the time I knew what I was watching :P I do however love DS9, but mainly after they get the Defiant.

Also the fact voyager was on daily back when Virgin 1 still existed, watched every episode throughout highschool. God damn that helped me get through the day xD

14. DS9forever

Next episode is "The Storyteller".

15. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Once upon a time... th-there was a Dal'Rok!

16. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't worry you're not alone.

Me and a friend used to do that too for the big episodes of DS9 instead of waiting for Sky to show them. I still have my old VHS copies of "Way of the Warrior" and "Trials and Tribble-ations".

Most UK shows only last for 6-8 episodes instead of 20-26 so there isn't much serialisation. The dumb masses here love serialised soap operas like the suicide inducing Eastenders so we're not anti-serialisation.

17. DS9forever

"Duet" will be on this week, perhaps Thursday or Friday.

18. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

Unfortunately SyFy seem to be editing out some of the violence, and doing a pretty sloppy job. Marritza's death in Duet was shortened to remove any glimpse of the knife; we see the Bajoran standing outside Quarks watching as Marritza walks past, and then suddenly cut to him with the knife already in Marritza's back. :wtf:

Necessary Evil last night was similarly affected; the Bajoran security officer getting stabbed was almost completely removed, and the assassin didn't even have a chance to pick up the pillow to smother Quark cos Rom just appeared out of nowhere to start screaming. Very irritating, particularly when this is the kind of violence that other channels would be perfectly happy to show at 3pm in various bland crime dramas. Don't remember ever seeing the show being quite so heavily censored before, Lord knows how it'll be when the Jem'Hadar and Klingons start carving people up... :confused:

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've noticed this too. I've been watching the teatime airings... is it repeated later? They may be uncut.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I've found exactly the opposite, when I've con to cons and events. DSN is generally ranked as the best Trek.

And yes I've noticed some editing, true it is shown at 18:00, but can anyone remember if the BBC who also aired it at 18:00 all those years made the same kind of edits?