TOS Maps for RPG Campaign

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by ghoyle1, Jan 3, 2011.

1. ghoyle1

ghoyle1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm planning an RPG campaign set during the TOS time period. I'm using the Risus RPG rules for the game itself, but i'm looking around to all the Trek games and reference books for inspiration. The game will center on an exploratory vessel like the Enterprise.

The main issue I'm pondering is mapping. I know that there was really no official map of Federation, Klingon, and Romulan space during TOS, so I wonder if I need one for my game. I've been looking at maps from lots of different sources, and I'm not quite sure which one captures the feeling of exploring the great unknown that is associated with TOS.

Since the game will probably be episodic in nature, I'm not convinced that I need a map that plots every single location on the Star Trek universe. However, some internal consistency would be nice. Any suggestions or recommendations>

Guy

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

For TOS reference material, there's always the Star Trek Technical manual (circa 1975 by Franz Joeseph) - Link to Amazon.com offerings of it

This Tech Manual has a Galaxy map as well, that takes into account all the episodes of the original Star Trek.

You want original Enterprise NCC-1701 Blueprints? Try:

Star Trek Blueprints: the Complete Set of 12 Authentic Blueprints of the Fabulous Starship Enterprise General Plans, Constitution Class, U. S. S. Enterprise - Link to Amazon.com offerings

(I still have both, but I got them as gifts back in 1975 ;))

3. ghoyle1

Thanks for the suggestions! (I actually already have both, though...)

Guy

4. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you can hunt down any of the old FASA Star Trek RPG material, they had several sourcebooks with maps in them all based on TOS. Their stuff is nowhere near canon any more, but it was all really quite good for the time.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

If you can find it - Star Trek Maps is considered one of the seminal works on the subject, TOS-based. Sounds exactly what you need. I've used that very publication in several RPG campaigns of my own many years ago.

6. ghoyle1

Sounds great... wish I'd bought it back in 1980, though (I remember seeing it on the shelves; don't remember why I didn't pick it up then.) As it is, I can't afford the collector-level prices. Thanks, I'll put it on the :Buy This Someday" list.