Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

From Deadline. Target date: August 1, 2014. No title (but is there anything wrong with Guardians of the Galaxy?)

Yay, that's on my list! :bolian: Now they just need to do Doctor Strange, The Inhumans and The Sub-Mariner.

Adam Warlock, my long-lost love! :D :D :D (Oh they better not frak up the casting.)

PS, warning, the article contains "that" spoiler from the end of The Avengers...no, not the shawarma scene...

It appears the plan is to have the Guardians fight Thanos, the grinning evil purple character seen after the credits in this year’s The Avengers.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a big fan of Guardians 2.0, this rumor has been about the net for weeks/months now.
    They cannot put out a movie with both a talking raccoon and tree. One, in a minor role maybe. Despite the increase in f/x I still fear Howard the Duck type comparisons even if he is a badass in the comics. Kinda shocked to not see StarLord in that list actually.

I'm a fan of the Gene Colan co-created original team. They better have Vance Astro. Besides it ties in with Captain America, even if loosely.

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be okay with lots of Quasar involved in this project, but not of the Phyla-Vell variety.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, if they are going to turn every comic book into a movie I want to see Warheads, Bozz Chronicles, and ... and ... and ... :)

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quasar had bracelets and Adam Warlock used the word "entelechy." Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank. Very few comic book movies without nostalgia value work very well.

6. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bah. I don't want Guardians-lite; I want the *real* Guardians from the 31st century! It had a real Farscape flavor to it.

7. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

This has Pixar all over it.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Except BLADE, THE MASK, MEN IN BLACK, HELLBOY . . ..

People don't care how obscure the comic is. They just care if it looks like a fun movie.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read anything with these characters, but I've flipped through some previews for some of their stuff on Comixology and they look pretty cool.

10. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

So if the Guardians are expected to do battle with that spoiler from the end of The Avengers, I assume this is going to take place in the same continuity as the previous Marvel Studios movies, right? Cool. The more the merrier.

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Alien Legion.

Strikeforce Morituri.

I only read the Jim Valentino series from the early '90s and man, was that cheesy. I hope they were better represented elsewhere.

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I have never read any comics, but in the least I generally know what the X-Men, Justice League and the Avengers are about. Guardians of the Galaxy? Sorry, I have never heard of them and very likely won't be interested in the movie.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I was excited for a second there, but nuGuardians doesn't interest me. I love the original Guardians. The original one-shot by Lee and Colan, Gerber's series and the fairly long-running 90s revival were all fantastic (with the exception of the abrupt ending to the 90s series). That team would-- or at least could-- make for a great movie.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That's the only version I'm familiar with and I quite liked it.

15. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Amen!

16. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

WOOHOO! I can't wait to see Warlock and Drax on the big screen!

17. stj

Of those four, Blade is unwatchable; Hellboy really only works if I pretend that the new guy actually was recruited because he has some sort of healing powers so what's-her-name goes sane and John Hurt is cured, so that it genuinely matters when his character is killed; The Mask is nothing but Jim Carrey; Men in Black did work, but then, I said, very few, not none. The Rocketeer works well too but its premise has the nostalgia factor built in.

Obviously, the subtext is "very few work for me..."

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Blade, unwatchable....to each his own. That movie rocks!!
    I kinda tuned that post out after that first sentence.

19. stj

Comparing the first and last sentences, "to each his own" obviously should have read "to each his own, so long as it doesn't contradict my taste, in which case, his own should be kept secret, like the noisome vice it is.":lol:

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

No offense to any of you. I picked it up because I'd read about them in OHOTMU and was a great concept. It certainly had some great moments, and I stuck with it for twenty issues or so, but... no. Too many things that were overly-contrived or nonsensical. It diluted the parts of it that I enjoyed. And it got worse as it went.

Not that I'd object to a movie. A ragtag team of futuristic superpowered freedom fighters is still a great concept.