STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Like I said, there are very few exceptions to the rule.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're wrong; college is not a "rule" - it's an increasingly dysfunctional educational/career/training path.

BTW, you know they're making these movies about people who are exceptions don't you? The idea that it's someone's job to send kids the message "work hard, stay in school and you can be Captain Kirk" is absurd.

3. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's funny because the 2009 movie had a Kirk wasting his life doing nothing, getting drunk in bars. And had Pike lecture him into going to "college" in order to get on the good path and achieve great things.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

He doesn't like the movies, and says so.

The fact that Abrams gave him a walk-on in one needn't sway his opinion unless one views such things as quid pro quo.

6. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

I'd think that the fact that these movies take place 300 years in the future, in outer space, and involve transport beams/warp drive/aliens/alternate realities, kind of helps to negate any possibility of Captain Kirk actually being a real role model. Kids aren't stupid, for the most part.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

The notion of using fictional characters - or celebrities, for that matter - as role models is an awful one in so many ways.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The popularity of some rap artists and their lyrics, challenges that premise IMO.

9. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it is a bit of the hydrant pissing on the dog.

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny, but I don't :lol:

That analogy holds up pretty well, I think.

11. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

So has anyone seen the pictures of the new Klingons?

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep. They look pretty good, at least in low-rez.

13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't really get statistics, do you?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Very well, thanks. Of course, that has nothing at all to do with what we're discussing but feel free to bring up any red herring you'd like. ;)

In fact that's not at all so.

15. WarpFactorZ

It has everything to do with your statement. You cite a handful of individuals who have been successful without a college education as proof that a college education isn't necessary for success.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

No, and your mistake is contained in the bolded phrase. I'm not offering examples as "proof" of anything.

Anyone who's awake and paying any attention at all to the world around them knows by experience that a college education isn't necessary to success, so that's a given.

The notion that the filmmakers are somehow doing Our Youth a disservice by portraying Kirk as taking an exceptional path to success is arrant nonsense.

17. WarpFactorZ

Oh really. I suppose that depends on your definition of the word "success." But, go ahead and define it so that your side of the argument is correct. To begin with, I'd ask you to name 5 (career) jobs that don't require a college education for entry.

But this will likely go beyond the scope of the forum.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ridges?

19. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Just thought I'd add this link:

http://collegedropoutshalloffame.com/

Interestingly, according to the site, 63 of the 400 richest people in the U.S. in 2011 either graduated high school but didn't attend college or dropped out of college. That's almost 16 percent of the list.

The sad thing is a college degree is no guarantee of success (even middle class success) these days, either. A lot of overqualified people are doing grunt work.

Back on topic, this thread needs more spoilers!

Nice to see the positive early reviews, too. The 95 percent fresh mark set by ST09 on Rotten Tomatoes may be tough to meet, but STID is off to a good start.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Everything does. Success is a ridiculously broad term, and the moment someone generalized about it as a way of criticizing the movie they shot way wide.

If you said "one cannot expect to become a medical doctor without going through the required educational process and training," I certainly wouldn't contradict you; that would be dumb.

If, OTOH, you want to claim that "formal education is a prerequisite for success" - well yes, I can define "success" in about a thousand ways that make you wrong, and every one of them is entirely valid. :lol: