Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland first pictures

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Sep 27, 2008.

1. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Big Fish was the first Tim Burton movie I saw that I liked. Then I saw Edward Scissorhands and thought it was just as good--strange, because I can't stand all his other stuff and also if any film is Burtonesque it's Scissorhands.

2. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought this *was* the Disney one?
    & yeah that Alice looks a bit too old...
    but Ill be looking forward to it anyway. I like spooky wooky. :)

3. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Disney came out with one in the late 90s with Martin Short as I believe the Tortoise

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ That was an NBC TV production from the (infamous?) Halmis and Hallmark.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

^Yeah, from the same folks who brought us Merlin.

6. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

And it was HORRID.

7. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

So how many gallons of fake blood did they need for this one? :lol: Burton can be good, but geeze, I wouldn't want to meet the little bastard in real life.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wow, I didn't know there was this much Tim Burton hate. Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas are some of my favorite movies ever.

Responding the the fact that Burton hires Helen Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp for many of his movies that's his damn right since he is the director. Maybe he just works well with them? What's wrong with picking the best people for the job?

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

Okay, it's probably not that. I was wondering the same thing when I saw the photo. I just can't think of anyplace else where a ship gets into things.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The actress playing Alice is 18. Having any actors younger then that forces production to be really long since they can only work a limited hour each day. Unless having actors be kids is extremely important like with the Harry Potter movies it's better to go with the older actors. Besides what's the matter with an older Alice? This is another interpretation by another director and I like that he is trying new things with it already.

The sailing ship is there because it's secretly a sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean. Jack Sparrow being in it automatically gives it another 100 million in the boxoffice. ;)

11. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to this. Mia was fantastic in In Treatment, and I'm looking forward to seeing her as Alice in this film.

12. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

He's married to one and best friends with the other...but I don't mind either. They obviously work well together :techman:

13. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alice being a little girl isn't important? I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that; it's as important here as it is in Harry Potter. That, coupled with the idea of her being on a ship somewhere (family on the way to America? I wouldn't be surprised) I think clearly shows that the story of the book has gone at least halfway out the window. Believe me, no one would be more glad than I to eat crow over this, but unless it gets some pretty good reviews I'll probably be skipping this one.

:lol:

14. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

He's 50-50 in my book. I enjoyed the two movies you listed, but I disliked his take on Batman (I know I'm in a minority here) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Planet of the Apes was absolutely abysmal, Sleepy Hollow bored me to tears, and Ed Wood was only occasionally entertaining.

When he's doing an at least semi-original story it tends to turn out fairly well, but most of his adaptations have been God-awful. Alice in Wonderland would be an adaptation. Hence the "meh" attitude from some.

15. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

what I liked about Sleepy Hollow is that it was the first time Ive seen the gothic aesthetic applied to colonial times(as opposed to Victorian/Edwardian). :lol: I think it fit rather nicely.

16. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

is Danny doing the soundtrack to this?

I love Tim Burton and his films..well most of them. he is such a twisted dark soul.

17. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Ok, I was given to believe that this was being rendered into one of these awful 3-D animation things like Beowulf. If this true or not?

What about the frumious Bandersnatch?

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if Alice is 18 this is still a Disney film!

19. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I've either out grown or gotten tired of Burton's dark, moody, ostentatious style. Big fish was the the last of his movies I enjoyed, and I'd say it is more mild than most of his recent movies.

I really didn't like Chocolate Factory, and that is all I can think of when I see these Alice images.

That said, part of me is still looking forward to this.

20. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

I think Pushing Daisies pretty much proves that Big Fish had at least as much to do with its producers as it did Burton. At least as far as the visual style and charm goes which, honestly, are the only main reasons I liked Big Fish at all.