Golf in Trek

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ironduke555, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ironduke555

ironduke555 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Has the sport of golf ever appeared in a trek book.If not it would be cool to here it mentioned like Riker hitting the links in the holodeck.Some college football would be cool too.This isen't story ideas just curious on sports in the Trek lit world.I'm sick of baseball and really bored today.:(

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's a rather bizarre golf sequence in John M. Ford's How Much for Just the Planet? Other than that, the only golf reference I'm aware of in ST was in "I, Mudd."

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

There are references to golf in the SCE eBook War Stories Book 2, which was printed in dead-tree form in the collection Wildfire.

4. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Screw golf.

I want to hear about volleyball. Beach volleyball. Women's beach volleyball.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've been wondering about sports in Trek too. I've been watching the Olympics while also reading Trek, and together they got me wondering if they've ever had any of this kind of stuff in Trek Lit.

6. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Screw hearing about women's beach volleyball...

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the greatest Chekov scene in all of history. Also, the greatest golf scene.

8. Lorraine Anderson

Lorraine Anderson Writer Red Shirt

No woman's beach volleyball for me, thanks. Is there men's beach volleyball? I wanna see that.

Hmmmm... seriously. What are the sports mentioned in fiction or film? Picard rode horses, Archer watched water polo. Riker liked a lot of sports, according to Memory Alpha. Anything else I'm forgetting?

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sisko and baseball. ;)

10. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"There are FOUR lights." *whacks the ball*

Sports in Trek? There are a few invented ones, like Parises Squares (which I don't think we've ever actually seen) and Velocity (played by Janeway and Seven). There's that game Bashir liked to play, not sure if it was made up or not or not, about playing tennis off a wall. We know that people still ski and swim, although it's unclear whether there are still competitions. Fencing (Picard and Guinan). And then there's darts (Bashir and O'Brien), whose tournaments appear on TSN, but whose status as a sport I've always found dubious.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

11. Christopher

12. Lorraine Anderson

Lorraine Anderson Writer Red Shirt

:p I was trying to ignore baseball. I think the last game I've actually sat through is when the '84 Detroit Tigers won the World Series. It's duller'n'dishwater for me... :vulcan:

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Actually, Bashir played springball, which is a Bajoran sport, but similar to racquetball.

:(

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  14. William Leisner

DS9 also gave us springball, a sport as Bajoran as Mom, hasparat, and katterpod pie.

I think it was also established that Chakotay boxed for the Academy boxing team in the VOY episode "UPN-Mandated WWE Promotional Crossover".

In prose, we learn Sonya Gomez's sister was a professional soccer player in, I think, Breakdowns.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

soccer's also mentioned as played professionally in ... uh... that season 2 episode where they crash on that planet led by that luddite bitch that locks Sisko in the box...(Sanctuary?)

ah, "Paradise"...

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

No, that was "The Fight." The "UPN-Mandated WWE Promotional Crossover" was "Tsunkatse," which combined a made up word with the Rock (back before he won his true name back from demon trolls of Middle-Earth with his silver-screen magic, along with his ability to assume a facial expression other than the Spockian raised eyebrow) and Seven of Nine in a new outfit which featured cleavage and her kicking men in the face. Now, that's wresting!

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, thanks guys. Not really a sports-minded person.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. Christopher

No, you're confusing two different DS9 sports. Bashir (and sometimes O'Brien, particularly in "Rivals") played racquetball, albeit in a futuristic court. Springball is a similar sport played by Kira and other Bajoran characters in episodes such as "Shadowplay" and "Crossfire." Racquetball was also played by Picard and Jono/Jeremiah in "Suddenly Human."

True, but "Tsunkatse" did refer to Chakotay's boxing experience a couple of times.

19. William Leisner

Oh, hell, that I could have spelled right without checking...

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

There was a scene with Worf, Riker, and Geordi(?) playing American football in one of the early TNG novels; I want to think it was A Call to Darkness. They also played volleyball in Grounded.