Braga: "Archer was supposed to be Future Guy"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Michael, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I couldn't make any of that out.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

One thing that always bothered me about Enterprise-- there were several races we never heard of before (Suliban, the Xindi races) and events that were never heard about again in the chronological timeline of the later (earlier) series. Was this ever explained?

One thing I did like was references to races/systems that would later be destroyed (Malurians).

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm not so sure it needs an explanation. Space is big. Given that, I think Enterprise had a healthy dose of familiar elements mixed in with the unfamiliar.

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    this is just Braga pulling stuff from his butt. It is very clear from the direction that the TCW went in the series that Braga was just making stuff up about it as he went along, even before the big revelation that they had no idea who "future guy" was supposed to be.

The TCW COULD have been a good storyline had it not been so poorly thought out.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh right, I'm thinking you meant it was in Braga's original oft-fumbled plans for the series.

Voyager was supposed to explode in some timeline's accident as well.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We were led to believe at that after Cold Front that we were viewing an alternate timeline from where none of the previous series and movies would ever manifest.

Kathryn Janeway might never have been born because Johnny Archer lived!

7. teacake

Future Guy would be the patron saint of the Treklit forum if that was the case.

And Chakotay might have been giving his angry warrior speech to Riker who would have weasled his way into that power vacuum.

The angry warrior swore to himself that he would stay by Will's side, doing whatever he could to make his burden lighter.

Hmm..

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm thinking of facetoilets too,

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

90% of the races from The Original Series were never seen or heard from again in Next Gen, DS9 or Voyager, either. Virtually none of the cool background aliens from The Motion Picture nor the aliens that made up the Federation council in The Voyage Home nor the aliens from JJ's Star Trek ever crop up in chronologically later Treks.

I like to think those aliens are always there, but always just off-camera.

10. teacake

And Enterprise did the wondrous thing of giving us Andorians and Tellarites which had barely been seen since TOS.

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. But I just would not have wanted Future Guy's storyline to have been written by Brannon -- or Rick Berman either.

12. Midas

Midas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Archer being FG would have been quite the logical stretch, IMO.

13. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

It's possible that Enterprise wasn't supposed to blow up in the original timeline but some previous event which was changed by the Future Guy faction of the TCW lead to the incident as an unexpected consequence. Maybe Silik was just putting right what once went wrong...

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of Archer as Future guy, it's surprising and makes sense too. Better than some unknown Romulan for the future. Wooo...

15. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

Would have been a very interesting twist. I'm sure a good writer could have pulled it off...

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

No. There is no timeline in which this could have been a good idea. :scream:

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A few fans were unhappy with Star Trek's implication that Archer lived to be 150 and knew Kirk and Scotty at the academy. To be Future Guy, he'd have had to live to be approximately 600.

18. teacake

But if he was Future Guy he obviously has time at his fingertips so who knows how old he would be. Old enough to be bitter though.

I like the idea of old, bitter, petty Archer pissing around in the timelines sucking on his teeth.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

He's just mad because everybody liked Trip more than they liked him. :p

20. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Ancient Archer in the future? NO. Its simple and obvious = TIME TRAVEL.

I always thought the only satisfying reveal for "Future Guy" would be a known character. Which given how far in the future he was means he is stuck in a time he is not from.

An older time displaced Archer is a theory I had when the show was first aired.