New FREE fan-created Star Trek TOS game available now!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by GambitRealm, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GambitRealm

GambitRealm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello everybody,

We have just released to the public our FREE Star Trek game based on the Torque 3D engine. It is titled Star Trek: NCC1701 and features for the first time the entire original Enterprise rendered in full-scale 3D. This means players will actually be able to walk the entire interior of the ship from top to bottom when all the interior decks are completed.

For now, our playable demo includes the bridge and the shuttlebay (you can turbolift between the two), and the ability to fly a shuttle around the outside of the ship and practice various combat and flight missions.

Check out our website at http://gambitrealm.com for the free download link and more information.

Did I mention you can also play as an old-school Klingon and fly their cool fighter out of the back of a D7 battle cruiser?

Many things never before possible now are, check out the site to learn more, and please feel free to pass this link around to any other Star Trek fan sites you can think of...

NOTE: This is completely FREEWARE, with no registration required to download, and no ads to view or any other hinderances. Just download and play.

Live long and prosper!

Paul Weston
    Gambit Realm development team
    paul@gambitrealm.com

Some screenshots to wet your appetite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this needs to be in the Trek Gaming forum...

I do like the concept...

And hope this is completed soon...

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

So long, and thanks for all the spam.

4. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, looking at the Web site, I think this may have originated with one of a TrekBBS member's attempt to create a 3D CGI TOS Enterprise. If so, this may be less an attempt at spam an more over-eagerness.

In any case, the project is about to discover if the app runs under Wine on Lucid ... :devil:

Edit:

Nope, no luck:

HTML:
    <pre>[wrstone@jefferson ../Program Files/NCC1701]$ wine NCC1701.exe 
    err:module:import_dll Library X3DAudio1_6.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\NCC1701\\NCC1701.dll") not found</pre>
    If the project would like a wee bit of advice: drop DirectX in favor of OpenGL. I know there are reasons that they like DirectX, but it's not very portable.

Think with future portability in mind: nobody expects a Linux version right out of the gate (though it would be cool if there was). Some day you may want to port to OSX, Ububtu, Android, other Linux derivitives ... if you base it all on OpenGL now, it leaves you options for porting to other platforms. DirectX will always and forever be Windows.

Dakota Smith

5. GambitRealm

^, Yes, what he said :)

I realize I placed this in 3 topics today, and apologize for the over-eagerness. It's just that we are trying to get the word out as much as possible, just to get people to download and try out the game.

It's all free, no strings attached, our website does not even have any advertising. We're just trying to get this out there for people to enjoy, and maybe get some feedback to see how it's received.

Yes, we had set out to create the TOS Enterprise in 3D, and be able to walk around inside it. We succeeded using the Torque 3D engine and just kept going with it. We do have the entire ship complete, all 24 decks, you can go anywhere, it's really something. However the performance is slow as we have not yet broken the decks up in to suitable "zones" to optimize the experience. Hence the playable demo only having the bridge and the shuttlebay, but all sorts of fun things to do in-flight.

When the full ship is able to be loaded with little performance loss, we will be posting free downloadable updates to the demo in our members area. So you will all be able to actually walk from the bridge to deck 24 if you want to, for the first time ever.

Again, completely FREEWARE, no ads or spyware or anything. Created by fans for fans. If CBS were to come calling and be interested, well then maybe things would change, but for now it's a give-away project.

Cheers, enjoy the game and let us know your thoughts.

Paul

REGARDING POSTER ABOVE (Linux, etc): This is a limitation of the Torque 3D engine. It can be built for Windows or MAC (performance on MAC is terrible right now though so we will wait for an engine update from Torque before trying to release a MAC version), and other export modules can be purchased to go to xBox, PS3, etc. We are currently awaiting the launch of Torque 3D for the iPhone, when we will be able to fly the shuttle around on iPod Touch or iPhone. But as for Linux distribution or other OS it is not something I see anywhere in Torque's repertoire. Sorry :(

6. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, well, such is life. However, the fact that Torque apparently has an OS X version (however crude) means that there's some possibility in the future. OS X and Linux, both being UNIX-y under the hood, can share a code base if the developers so desire. Whether Torque has done so or not is another story.

I hope Torque decides to get into Linux for Android devices. It'd be cool to fly around the ship on my Droid. :D

Dakota Smith

7. GambitRealm

This conversation has been moved to the Trek Gaming thread. Please feel free to post any comments over there.

Thanks!
    Paul W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.