DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doomsday is picking on Wonder Woman. Her boyfriend is next. This all usually ends with a corpse being tossed in a hole.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So the opposite of volume 1, then? :p

Even with the different costumes??? You would have really hated the JLA/JSA crossovers where the two Supermen did wear the same costume.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It is not about gay rights, it's about wanting conflict and angst in its characters. What I can't figure out, is why not let the guys finish their storyline--they were literally let go in mid-cliffhanger.

4. Nerys Myk

Yeah, they should have let them finish.

5. Guy Gardener

But that's the point.

They were told to abort the current story line they had been moving toward for the last year and they had completely mapped out into the future for the next year in favour of "Um, I dunno, well, something, just make something up, that's your job. It doesn't matter, anything at all except what you're doing which we said was fine and dandy a year ago and 6 months ago and a month ago, but not now. Now it sucks. No offense. It's not becuase they're gay. No. No. What about if they open a bed and breakfast? That's what lesbians do, right?"

I admit that the wedding was only the straw that broke the camels back and it was the arbitrary and inconsistent micromanaging that forced their complete withdrawl from DC but this entire cluster fuck isn't just about one thing. Telling those imaginary made up fictional characters that they were not allowed to get married had to be heart rending for those boys. No wonder they needed to manifest their outrage with such a jarring and loud finality.

Can't you imagine Batwoman? "Please sir, plaese my editor with the power of god, please let me get married, I already spent a fortune on the dress, and I can't get my deposit back on the reception, you're going to ruin my creditrating entirely, it's, just not fair... I do love her, I love her so much and I want everyone to know."

(This is when I admit it's been almost 4 years since I read any Battitles includng the entire run of Batwoman.)

(Is Wedding Insurance a real thing?)

(Yes it is.)

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Because Bob Harras. He did that kind of stuff a lot back when he was running Marvel.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

DC would have been happy to let them finish their storyline, as long as they were willing to change parts of it. They didn't want to change it, so they walked. It's not about DC kicking them off the book.

I'm not saying is guilt free in all of this, there are a lot of stories of last minute editorial interference.

But in the end, the creators CHOSE to leave rather than compromise the story the wanted to tell.

So, it's not about "letting" them finish it....

8. Nerys Myk

By finish I mean conclude the arc they started which would have been wrapped up in issue #26.

9. theenglish

Right, why not let them wrap up the arc at the very least?

10. Professor Zoom

Wasn't the arc finishing with the wedding? I thought that was the problem?

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The arc would have finished with the actual wedding yes. The problem seems to be because of DC's new stance on characters getting married, they didn't want to actually show the wedding defeating the purpose I'm assuming of the story. Thus they walked off.

Wonder Woman #24 was awesome as usual. This book continues to be my favourite New 52 book.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, Wonder Woman is a very dependable read.

I just read Supergirl #24 and it was ok but Supergirl's dialogue was very clunky this issue. She didn't sound anything like the teenager introduced to us in the first issue. Her speech was way too formal.

13. Professor Zoom

Yeah, that's what I always assumed. They didn't want to finish the arc how DC wanted, so they left. There is no "letting them finish the arc," they chose to leave.

Which, actually, I'm in support of. I admire those who aren't willing to compromise and are willing to walk away rather than do so.

14. Guy Gardener

The problem is is that they just alienated 40 percent of the (English language) comic book writer employers in the world... Which could make paying the mortgage somewhat difficult.

15. Professor Zoom

I think they'll be ok.

And besides, DC is a business. If they think they can make money from those guys, they won't care. They will hire them.

16. Guy Gardener

Imagine their future at DC in the future?

"NOGAYSFORYOU!"

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm debating whether to keep track of the Lights Out storyline or not. I hadn't planned to originally, but since it picks up from the New Guardians storylines with the various corps being threatened I'll see. As if I need more stuff on my shelf to read... :p :lol: I've been picking up some of the IDW compilations, and sort of wondering if it's worthwhile since the current titles will probably go into an IDW Collection at some point.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

IDW has some very excellent Transformer comics right now.

19. theenglish

Okay, but it doesn't really state that in the article.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just read Morrison's Batman RIP, Batman and Robin, and Return of Bruce Wayne in the space of a couple nights. That story makes SO much more sense when you read it all at once :lol:

One thing still confused me. When we see Darkseid and Metron in Return #6, was that just in Bruce's head and they weren't literally still alive? At once point Bruce says that Darkseid is trying to reincarnate in Doctor Hurt... but the Omega Sanction was going to destroy reality... they seem like contradictory plots, though I suppose a truly reincarnated Darkseid would survive the Omega Sanction destroying reality...?

So summarize... Bruce was infected with the "hyper-adapter" beast which was going to destroy the Earth when he got back to the present, but they managed to send the beast back in time to avoid this, where it infected Thomas Wayne in the 1700s, who became immortal and ended up Doctor Hurt. And the Omega radiation was dissipated by allowing Bruce to die for two minutes.

Also, Talia going nuts in Batman Inc works better for me now. I had forgotten the whole bit of her trying to control Damien, showing him the clone they're growing of him, and her swearing vengeance when he rejects her once and for all.