William Shatner claims he will not be included in ST 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by VOODOOXI, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

well...he was killed as a result of Khans actions so...:shrug:

maybe he could've said 'he was the most dangerous adversary we ever faced...after that alien who was pretending to be god of course'

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I simply don't understand that stance. If I didn't like/watch entertainment from people who saw life differently than me, my entertainment options would be pretty damn slim.

I really don't care about someone's personal beliefs. I just want to be entertained.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So William Shatner is claiming he isn't in a movie that he shouldn't even be in anyway?

Move along folks, no story to see here. :devil: ;)

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Emperor Tiberius Kirk from the Mirror Universe, maybe? :whistle:

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

+1

That would be nice, too.

6. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure! Or the like? Maybe a Baron Harkonnen-like take (Baron Harpoonen?) I think the General idea of him being a bad guy has merit, and it also has the virtue of surprising the hell out of just about everyone. :eek:

7. 137th Gebirg

Heh...except those of us discussing it here. Then we get bragging rights when it happens! :D

8. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Yes, I make fun of the tendency toward cliche rogue admirals too.

But it's not the most optimistic point of view - is it? I can cast those aside as easily as STID and still keep my focus on what Star Trek is more famously known for.

I would enjoy knowing the "truth" of this gossip that's been bandied about - debunked or true.

This trivializes all the great people who have said outright that Star Trek was their inspiration to do good in bringing things to life, including those at NASA and the space program in general, and that it is why they are in their chosen fields. Fiction is part of life - real people create it and other real people draw inspiration from it. And some of them have given their lives in its pursuit.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm still waiting for them to do my suggestion from 2001 (for ENT) of bringing in Shatner as a Klingon wanting to destroy the Enterprise.

10. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. - C.S. Lewis

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what Super 8 has to do with Star Trek being inspiring. They are two different films :confused:

Regardless, I find inspiration in George Kirk's sacrifice, in Sarek's counseling his son, in Pike's father figure role and in Spock talking about how George Kirk was Prime Kirk's inspiration to join Starfleet. In all of these reflections, I see my own father, and what all kinds of different possibilities. I see a reflection of modern society, and how important fatherhood should be to society, and how positive an impact it can have.

As for the optimistic future, as T'Girl mentioned, the optimism of Star Trek was that humanity would survive the 60s and the threat of nuclear war that hung over society at that time. That was TOS's inspiration (that and Robert Heinlein ;) ). Beyond that, it was an action adventure with social commentary, inspired by events of the time.

Optimism does not mean no conflict. It means that humanity has come together and worked towards a greater good. A less optimistic version STID would be Kirk siding with Marcus and carrying out a shadow war on the Klingons.

By the way, when I reference GR, I am working from what he used to inspire TOS, and not what came after. To me, Abrams Trek is TOS with a more modern sensibility, and I don't expect it to reflect all of GR's opinions.

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No it doesn't. Don't try to wrap your argument in that flag.

Crediting Star Trek with inspiring you to be good or useful is like Mark Chapman blaming Salinger for his shooting Lennon.

13. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

TOS spock was a huge part of the first trek story. in fact he was the mole

14. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Or John Kennedy crediting the Soviet Union for NASA reaching the moon.

And yes it does trivialize all benevolent inspiration that has come from Star Trek, a work of fiction.

I was looking at missing parents in both - Kirk's father in STID's case.

15. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Please jog my memory, but what was this?

16. 137th Gebirg

IIRC, the Enterprise finale "These Are The Voyages" was touted this way. The box of candy wound up being a box of rat turds. There may be another choice, but I remember when that steaming pile of shit hit the 'waves. It was followed by the usual "we're all very pleased" suit-speak from Berman.

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^Oh yeah, thanks.

BTW, what does your icon mean?

18. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Pretty much all stories have an ideological viewpoint. This has some degree of impact on people, just as being exposed to the someone's viewpoint through an essay does. It's just couched in narrative and it filters through people's perceptions.

What I recall most of all from my high-school english courses is how little it was about english as a language and how it was really about the subjectmatter of the stories we read, which tended to revolve around musing on the wars of the 20th century or race-relations. Books like Night, Black Boy, Animal Farm (which my daughter just read recently), Brave New World. These all have a strong ideological axe to grind. Also consider the uproar of late regarding 50 Shades of Grey, the book vs. the film, and what it says about modern sexuality and gender relations.

To say that the entertainment we consume has no impact on how we view the world is just plain wrong. It doesn't mean we necessarily are subject to being brainwashed into shooting celebrities, but it has an impact. It's being confronted with someone (namely the writer's) view of the world, as presented in narrative-form.

19. 137th Gebirg

Last week, there was an article on I think it was CNN (and, of course, I can't find the link any more) on the possibility that Microsoft might finally kill Internet Explorer as a browser (while keeping some of its components as a part of the greater Windows Explorer engine) and make a whole new lightweight browser from scratch, using Chrome and Mozilla as a model. This graphic was in the headline.

Having been a web developer for over 20 years now, that bit of news warmed the cockles of my heart, as I completely despise having to down-code compatibility exceptions for IE's many inconsistent flavors. Hell, I'm still required to keep some of my apps compatible with some old IE6 stragglers!

So, I loved the image so much, I changed my avatar for the first time in, like, 12 years.

Edit - Found it! It's an article in CNN money called "Internet Explorer Must Die".

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry I was too late to get in and explain it, Shaka. My thanks to 137th Gebirg for stepping in there, and he was much more eloquent about it than I would've been.