GUARDIAN: Your vessel, your beginning, all that you knew is gone.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by JWPlatt, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm sorry, that's not large enough for my needs.

2. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

How about a SALT MINE instead ?

;-)

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Can I borrow this story for my students? I discuss media bias in just about all my courses and try to find something amusing to illustrate the point (the content of my courses is rarely amusing as my most common course assignments are Middle Eastern history or 20th century global conflicts).

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yes, yes, that will do nicely. :D

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

THIS, 500%!

I also hope that any new Star Trek series or movies after movie #3 are filmed in the same set up as the Abrams ones, and also use the same ship designs, costumes designs, weapons, etc.-we don't need a retread of the Roddenberry/Piller/Berman/Braga/Sternbach/Probert/Okuda era, style-wise or otherwise (and as good as it was), just because of a few loudmouthed fans at one convention and elsewhere trapped in the past (and now nostalgic for a past era that most of them were vocally tired of [the Roddenberry/Piller/Berman/Braga era in particular]) but now want back as if all has been forgiven simply because they feel Abrams, Orci, & Kurtzman 'screwed up' Star Trek.

6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

That's quite the ironic post about "loudmouthed" fans.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Go for it.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Hey, I call it as I see it. And I defend the franchise and like it in spite of a few weak episodes and movies.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I've been a Trekkie since 1984. Star Trek has been one of my long time loves. Have you ever been in a long relationship, whether as friendship or something more, and one day you just see someone with new eyes, and fall in love all over again? That's what happened with me and Star Trek when I saw the 2009 film.

In short, I agree.

10. JWPlatt

I think you meant 'despite' which is more supportive - not that you are spiteful toward the weak episodes.

In any case, part of my point was that everyone who posts is just like you, calling it as they see it. When each point of view sees the others as wrong, what does that say to you?

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It says that someone needs to step away from the computer and do something more productive with their time ;)

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Nonsensical science is hardly new to Trek (which has long used it as a milk skin under which it does its thing), though the last two movies did seem to have an inordinate amount of it.
    The plots themselves were nonsensical on several points, granted, though as with the science that doesn't make them rubbish provided that they tell a good story overall.

The rest of the article as reported seems to consist of facile arguments at best. Particularly, a return to Prime (whatever that means; the premise of Voyager, for instance, can't credibly share a universe with certain episodes of TOS or certain of the movies) seems very unlikely. If the franchise births another TV show in the next ten years then it's likely to be either an ostensibly Abramsverse show or some kind of reworking of the original concept (eg a cold reboot of TOS or the original concept). The alternative would probably involve going forward only in the sense of the show's chronological setting - way too constraining for a creative team, in my opinion.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Plus, when you go too far ahead, you start to lose the relatability to 21st century society. The great thing about TOS, or one of the great things I should say, is that it was set in the future, but not so far that we couldn't identify with them.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Any chance of the Guardian of Forever coming back would likely have to be allowed by Harlan Ellison, and that seems unlikely.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Plus they'd have to recast the Guardian as a white British guy, and they probably wouldn't want to do that twice in a row ;)

16. JWPlatt

Wow, I'm amazed and amused at the wholly literal take on what I wrote. The whole thing with Guardian is about losing Prime to the Abramsverse. Or from the characters' point of view it was losing what they were to be to what the alternate reality had become. The quotes just fit the situation well - that's all - and I was toying with the unlikely event of a return to Prime in the films. In no way was I even remotely suggesting that they will bring back the Guardian.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

When you say "acccording to it", meaning the article, it sounds as if you're paraphrasing.

18. JWPlatt

It's a wishful extrapolation - not paraphrasing.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Did they? The plots of TWOK and TSFS turn more crucially on nonsensical foolishness they decide to call "science" than any other Trek movies I can think of.

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

By a considerable margin at that.