Dexter - Season 7 (with Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Rita wasn't love. Rita helped him discover his humanity but she was in love with someone who never existed and by the time Dexter figured out he had any real feelings for her she was shortly dead.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Deb shooting her isn't as big of an issue as you would think. All the pistols were glocks I believe. Nice thing about them is that their parts are interchangeable. Just swap Deb's barrel into the gun with the guys prints on it and your set to go. When they test fire it for comparison to the bullet recovered from LaGuerta's body, the markings will match. And since they will, no one will look at the shellcaseings to make sure the firing pin mark matches.

4. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the same show that tells us the gunshot to Estrada's corpse will eliminate the evidence that he'd been stabbed to death. The show gets very, shall we say, imaginative about forensics. Just shrug and accept that it works the way the story needs it to work.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw all of season 7 over the course of three days and loved it for the most part. I thought the character stuff was well written even if the arc itself was a bit unfocused. And the ending… Wow! I was filled with anxiety as everything drew to a close. No real cliffhanger this year, but what a game changer for Deb. :eek:

Now for my usual rundown...

- I liked that they didn't go for yet another serial killer as the main antagonist. Not really anyway. They mixed it up for a change.

- Deb dealing with the big revelation over the course of the season was hard to watch, but gripping. The writers did a good job of taking her on a roller coaster of reactions and emotions.

- I didn't mind that Dexter found yet another woman who understood him. It doesn't get old because with all the secrets and problems in his life, he needs someone who can take the pressure off even if these relationships never last. It would be nice if he found his "Catwoman" someday, but I don't see the show taking that route.

- It looked like they were trying to find something for LaGuerta to do this season and it really paid off. Having her be the only one who knew about the blood slide was a bit too convenient though. And that leads to one of the few problems in the writing… People conveniently keeping Dexter's secret for little or no reason.

- It looked like they were also trying to give Quinn something interesting to do. It worked out and wasn't too contrived. The only thing that really stands out about him is that he's no longer on Dexter's case at all. That bit is too contrived.

- I thought that was Jim Beaver playing Hannah's dad, especially after he said "balls!", but I wasn't sure. Had to look it up to confirm.

- Adults can be real hypocrites sometimes, or should I say "real complex". That was evident when Dex and Deb were lecturing Astor about drugs. That was a nice touch and a well written bit. Nice to see Rita's kids again, by the way.

- Nice that they brought back the whole Doakes-as-the-Bay-Harbor-Butcher thing again. I actually thought he might have his name cleared. And it was nice to see Doakes himself again even if it was a flashback. He was always good comic relief. The actor's face looked a little weird though. Plastic surgery? Steroids? I can't decide which.

- When Deb heard a noise in the back of Dexter's car and he said it was Hector, I laughed out loud for a good half-minute when she just rolled her eyes and left. Business as usual for a serial killer. :guffaw:

- I was on the edge of my seat, wondering how they'd end the season, and the end result really delivered. It left me shaken. Deb is on a dark path now. I feel bad for her.

- Batista and maybe a few others know that Dexter wasn't at his party and that Deb left at some point too, so that could possibly come back to bite them if someone goes digging into LaGuerta's murder or Dexter's past again.

- Is David Zayas leaving the show?

Another year until I see season 8.

6. Agent Richard07

Given everything Deb went through, I wish she hadn't found out.

Not after lying to everyone, letting Doakes take the fall and killing LaGuerta to protect his secret.

I wonder if Rita found out about Dexter in the end.

You've been good at predicting things before, so I'll save this quote and see if it comes to pass.

No kidding. He showed no interest in the babysitter. Did you see her in that bikini? :eek:

I spent most of the time thinking that Hannah looked a lot like Lumen. I wouldn't say that Yvonne Strahovski and Julia Stiles look alike, but they sort of do in this context.

I thought the same thing. Going after Hector after he's released? That would look too suspicious even if it wasn't a set-up.

Yep. Deb's gun will be a problem.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you ever hit on your best friends younger sister?

It's explosive, even if they cut it short with something like "Hey, creepy old guy, fuck off."

The actress, Aimee Garcia is also busting balls as the Sheriff's office manager in the new mobsters vs cowboys series Vegas.

Carrying a completely different Madmanesque look I might add. :)

8. Agent Richard07

At first I forgot that she was Angel's sister.

9. Guy Gardener

Forgot, don't care... Potato, potato. Although does Dexter see her as a child or a functionary?

You don't screw where you eat.

A trustworthy nanny is far more important than a couple crazy lays.

Although if you do it just right you can stop paying her to look after your kid.

But if she does it just right, you wind up giving her half of everything you have.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think Dexter is only sexually interested in someone if they're a killer or crazy. Was he ever truly hot for Rita?

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he loved Rita, but knew he could never trust her with his secret.

12. Guy Gardener

He asked some couple on his table why they love each other and they explained to Dexter that it's because they share the same values and that they are heading in the same direction towards the same goals, and then he killed them. Later in the episode he talked to Rita about what she saw as her goals and how she saw the future and he agreed with her vision.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original Dexter character misunderstood himself as feeling no human emotion. That was Crazy Daddy's script for him. But pretty much every scene outside of the kills contradicted this. This Dexter loved Rita as best as he could, making an admirable and endearingly comic effort to live up to his self-imposed obligations.

The new Dexter character may say and believe he loves another one but I really don't believe the new Dexter character actually feels very much, if anything, in the rest of his life.

14. Guy Gardener

No one feels much. From first principles, "emotions" was all just a trick to sell French poetry.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I have no doubt that Dexter deeply loved Rita, but I'm talking sexual passion here. I seem to recall that he felt sex with her perfunctory. Did he ever want her sexually?

16. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show has increasingly evaded the fact that sexual excitement is an inescapable part of Dexter's killing. Despite any lip service otherwise, Dexter's killing is now at worst a supposedly exciting conflict between a nice killer and an icky killer. Or even a supposedly admirable exercise in vigilantism. Even the first season didn't flaunt it in our faces.

Nonetheless, in the first season, Dexter's killing was his sex life. Rita's sexual withdrawal after life events was in fact part of her appeal for him. When (like the original Dexter character,) she started recovering, she felt confident and sexual enough to give Dexter a blow job. It was a big deal that Dexter could respond appropriately. In later seasons of course, Dexter has cheerleaders thrusting themselves upon him (literally I think in the HS reunion episode, even if ten years later,) and it's no big deal.

So yes, Dexter had sexual feelings for Rita. It was the audience that couldn't cope with marital sexuality I think. But I might be projecting Homeland Season 1, where the hero rejects Morena Baccarin the wife in favor of Claire Danes the lunatic spy. This was so jaw-droppingly wrong I can only conclude that Hollywood was sure its audience could not possibly regard a wife as sexy, instead of a carrier of tiresome obligations (aka "children.")

17. Agent Richard07

Dexter loves Deb and cares for her wellbeing. He was willing to let her shoot him so she could save herself when a choice had to be made between him and LaGuerta.

18. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Why did LaGuerta tell Deb to shoot Dexter instead of arresting him?

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Because she's already seen the multiple times he's wormed his way out of getting caught?

20. Guy Gardener

Possibly Maria though that Dexter was going to kill both of them to protect his secret because she was unaware that Debra was already in the fold.