Best Teaser

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TOSalltheway, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So which TOS episode had the best teaser ?

I find that an easy one. I remember in the early 1970s, being very young and new to Trek settling down to watch an episode of Trek only to be royally P.O.'d when it was not on and in its place was some sort of military show. I still remember the goose bumps that I felt when I saw that the "UFO" being pursued was the Enterprise flying through the clouds. :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Definitely memorable. I'm trying to think of one that topped it... but can't right now. Wolf in the Fold has a good one with Scotty clutching the knife...

Sir Rhosis

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mirror Mirror ftw! :)

4. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I saw the thread title I thought the exact same thing. I was a little kid in elementary school just getting into Star Trek in the early 70's. It came on at 4:oo just after I came home. I was late and came running in to turn on the TV at 4:00 and thought there was some Air Force show on. Everyone hated the military in those days, so i knew it wasn't a commercial. When the Enterprise was shown flying through the clouds I was like "What the Hell is going on?"

5. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Are there any truly AWFUL ones?? Even some of Trek's more ugly episodes have decent teasers. " And a fine lot, they are too!"

Man Trap's teaser, considering its the premiere episode, is pretty odd, and Tribbles is actually kind of --- limp! But generally speaking, most of them are pretty good and draw you in.

6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was I Dream of Jeannie!

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with "Tomorrow Is Yesterday." Another that always grabbed me was "Arena." A nice, routine social beam-down to a Starfleet outpost and then, "Wow, the shit's hit the fan!"

8. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

I had the same exact experience!

Got home from school, ran in to watch Trek, but found some F-104's flying around.

I was (and still am) a big fan of the AirForce, but come on don't interrupt Star Trek!

Then I saw the Enterprise and all was OK!

9. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

The Enterprise Incident, Balance of Terror

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Tomorrow Is Yesterday," definitely.

Gotta put a word in for "Devil In The Dark," though, especially as it's the only teaser in TOS that includes neither any of the regular characters nor the Enterprise - and how can you not love: "Like all the others - burned to a crisp!" :lol:

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

What about "Amok Time"? How many episodes open with Spock returning his soup?

12. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Elaan of troyius. Just for being funny.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Tomorrow Is Yesterday's, hands down.

It's neat that others had the same WTF experience with it as I, as kids in the 70's. I was definitely fooled, too!

Mirror, Mirror's gets honorable mention from me.

The Devil in the Dark's teaser is cool, and I remember also being a little concerned about it, that it was really gonna be Star Trek, when I was a kid. They did at least mention the Enterprise by name, so that was reassuring!

14. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

Simple,... best Trek's "Best Teaser", hands down,.. Helen Noel.

15. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

First of all a big "hello" to everyone here at the Trek BBS, since this is my very first post. Looking forward to a lot of fun.

I had a similar experience with Tommorow is Yesterday, thought I had switched to the wrong channel. But since I´m not a great fan of time travel episodes, the teaser didn´t really do it for me though - IIRC, it´s been quite a long time:)

Best to me is Enterprise Incident. It sets up a great espionage story and pulls you right into the thick of it. And it is accompanied by a gripping musical score :techman:

Similarly memorable I find Immunity Syndrome and Doomsday Machine.

Cheers, Mario

16. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"And The Children Shall Lead" has a fantastic teaser. Too bad the rest of the episode sucks.

Captain Tracy likes this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

For me it's the Doomsday Machine, because ending the teaser with a sister ship of the Enterprise reduced to a wreck by...something is definitely a "stay tuned" moment.

18. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was certainly one of the longer teasers at nearly 3 minutes long, including 3 Enterprise fly-bys.