World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I don't know, but he seemed thrilled with the movie in Austin.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nimoy read the entire script.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

So, Uhura is Spock's love interest. Didn't everyone kind of roll their eyes at the relationship between Uhura and Scotty in TTF? Isn't this kind of the same? I don't know, just throwing it out there. It has the same "why?" factor.

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

The real "why" is why the studio threw 150 million at a decaying franchise.

Personally, I'm glad they did.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly so.

6. FarDreaming

FarDreaming Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the events of this movie, the destruction of Vulcan, the death of Amanda, would have to leave us with a very different Spock than we saw in TOS. And will also have to redefine the relationships he had with some of the characters, especially McCoy, who has always been portrayed as the "heart" of the trio. One cannot be the heart and not realize that no matter how stoic or inward Spock may turn, this is now a character that has great tragedies befall him, one that we know that the original Spock never had to deal with.

7. jim hadar

jim hadar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:bolian:

8. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

We don't know much about early Spock or how he handled his double heritage.
    We do know he laughed and smiled and he was shouting "THE WOMEN" and was different from the later era dude.
    Perhaps JJ ABRAMS chose to do something cool and creative with that?

9. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Perhaps. I just did not find the huggy/kissy transporter room scene that cool or creative. :rommie:

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus in Where No Man Has Gone Before he was smiling and seemed to be taking enjoyment from what I think was beating Kirk at Chess, and then had an annoyed expression when Kirk pulled off some 3D chess move that craped on Spock's winning.

12. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

Yes, after a day of thinking about the movie, this itches a bit! Just a tiny little bit ;)

Which reminds me: there were tribbles where they found Scotty ;) I didn't see them (it was too fast) but I did hear them.

Silly me, I forgot to mention the best bit! :D

Don't run, I agree with you, they could. But he said that so many times, he could let Leonard say it once ;) (or was it the second time?)

Let's hope he'll dismiss his counterpart's counsel.

Now, about the villains, were they made that dull so there would be more screen time for our heroes? Somehow, I think it was done intentionaly so the villains only existed to have some kind of menace in the story.

That said, I expect a sequel of a much better quality.

Now you all can throw things at me because I completely forgot Majel did the computer voice and I didn't recognise her voice :(

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, second. He ended TWOK with it. Maybe it should've actually been Pine. By the end of the movie, people would've recognized that it was his (Kirk's) voice. That would've been a true hand-off.

14. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

I did not like the Spock/Uhura-thing either.

But then, it may have something to do with the fact that I liked Uhura least of all. I think part of it is that she doesn't even remotely look like Nichelle Nichols, part of it is the writing. Nichelle's Uhura always had a heart of gold and a sense of humor - she was a deeply humane character, with artistic interests in addition to being a top-notch communications officer. Saldana's Uhura seems to be mostly a calculating career woman.

15. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Unless there's a rule there I can't see that says "no image macros", then my posting is within the rules that are posted there, as all my macros are from my own photobucket account. I'm also hardly the only one to use them.

16. Kanenas

Kanenas Commodore Commodore

Re: Moved to spoilers discussion thread

Or it sets ups star trek 12 with a whole reason to have a conflict to fight and fix the univers and save vulcan and amanda.

Seriously, where is "amok time" going to happen? The whole tpau meeting kirk. We finally get an interesting back story about her and now we have no back story.

It is kind of like rewriting romeo and juliet without the family fued.

17. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

I really don't want to revisit old episodes. I hope they'll do the censored stuff and more :techman:

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably never. T'Pau is almost certainly dead, and probably T'Pring and Stonn as well. I don't see any of those people as the type who would ever leave Vulcan. So they must be toast. :(

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Amok Time happened in Old-Spock's past- it doesn't have to happen in New-Spock's future.

Folks may do well to stop thinking of this film as a prequel.

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

People may as well stop speculating about a prequel sequel until after the box office numbers come in....