Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Official English title of this new film is "Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark".

It comes to Blu-ray in in one month (May 27th).

The is also a rumor that "The Saga Continues" from the most recent official magazine. I am somewhat expecting an announcement in a month when the film releases.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the changes 2199 made would make any sequels interesting.

3. Ithekro

Still hoping for at least a small number of new Earth ships including Andromeda. Even if the situation is reversed and it is Gamilas and Iscandar that need to be saved from the Comet Empire by Yamato and the Earth fleet.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

5. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Anyone know if the new series is coming to the streaming services? I've been digging but haven't found anything.

6. Ithekro

I would say no.
    Though I don't know exactly what all the streaming services are for the record.

I'll check with others.

EDIT:

At this time there are no streaming services running nor planning on running Yamato 2199.

(The episodes can be found online sometimes from anime sources, though that is more uploaded video than streaming)

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  7. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager can't even be bothered to finish the BD release, let alone get it streaming somewhere. Only legal source is the US BDs (1-4 have been released) and then you'd have to import the last 3 from Japan if you want to complete it, like a few of us did.

There's always Bittorrent, but I don't want to encourage that.

8. Ithekro

Around the end of the month I'll be getting two copies of the most recent movie as well as another copy of the compelation film that came out in October. The extra are gifts.

The main copy of the new film will be the digipack from Amazon Japan that has a case for all 10 BD of Yamato 2199 (the seven discs for the 26 episodes, the compelation movie and thw two disc set for what I still call "Ark of the Stars"). Even though I can't understands most of he extras as those are only in Japanese with no subttiles. The episodes themselves and the movies have English subtitles, so one can easily follow what it going on.

Still one of (if not the best) remake on the market. Takes a 40 year old show, keeps the spirit of it intact, and them updates things enough to keep it modern yet doesn't go overboard with making it new just to be new. The overall plot is the same. The details are a little different here and there.

And we know more will come. We just don't know when. (Even if Voyager has a lack of understanding the North American and certainly the European market, they were at least wise enough to put English subtitles on their original BD releases from the start.)

9. 137th Gebirg

Are they even still in business any more? Seems like they're simply waiting for their domain name registration to expire at this point.

10. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming that their attempts to sell it to Cartoon Network with that English dub went nowhere, so they just aren't bothering any more? It sucks that they didn't even finish releasing the series though. I'm sort of glad that I decided to wait until the whole thing was released before biting.

11. Ithekro

Still can be gotten as Yamato 2199 out of Japan.

12. zakkrusz

May 27th is still so far away....:scream:

I have the regular edition of Ark of the Stars coming along with the latest installment of what has proven to be most impressively animated franchises (as well as artful) as of late: K: Missing Kings.

13. Ithekro

Amazon.jp says my copy of Ark of the Stars is on isn't way. Should be here in a day or two. Also more model kits from Hobby Link Japan by next week.

I am hoping for an announcement that justifies a rumor started by a Bandai sales rep. About the reason for a lack of new Yamato model kits in late Spring. The rumor mentions a potental Andromeda story. It is just a rumor though it be interesting if the next series was titled Space Battleship Andromeda, instead of Yamato.

14. 137th Gebirg

SO looking forward to the 2199 treatment they're going to give Andromeda (or, should I say, the 2200 treatment?)

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just got the e-mail from CD Japan that my Blu Ray set (with English subtitles) has shipped as well. I really do hope that they decide to do a series remake of the 'Comet Empire' storyline; and announce it publically soon.

16. Ithekro

The package had arrived. It looks like it comes with a book. A thick book.

17. 137th Gebirg

And an empty 2199 case. At first I thought they also sent me the complete 2199 series, but realized it was just a collectable case for alternate storage of the discs.

18. 137th Gebirg

After only having had the opportunity to get through the first half last night, I feel somewhat mixed in my reaction to it so far. Here are my initial thoughts - Pro's first:
    • The technical quality of this show, with regard to ship and character design and animation, continues to be top-shelf. It is truly enjoyable to watch.
    • The White Comet "barbarians" really appear to be almost inspired by what one would view as human/Klingon hybrids. Got a very Klingon vibe off these guys - better than Klingon, in fact - what I would have expected Klingons to actually look and act like in their early days.
    • Love the references to the old WWII battleship Yamato. This is really the first time that its history has ever been really explored more deeply than passing mentions in the entire franchise.
    Cons (so far):
    • Speaking of the White Comet guys, why does the top one want the Yamato's "killer of Gamilons" weapon so much (wave motion gun)? His Magna-Flame Gun seems to do just as much damage without breaking a sweat, has equal-or-greater range without the victims knowing where it came from AND can fire multiple shots in rapid succession with deadly accuracy, none of which the WMG can do. His motivations seem suspect to me. Other than being a 2-dimensionally stereotypical "Galactic Alien Bully", there's really no legitimate reason for him to pursue Yamato.
    • Did the Yamato just blow up that planet of energy-sucking space squids by warping away, with heroic music playing in the background? Is it possible that they just committed genocide on the inhabitants of that world? Serious mixed messages here on his one.
    • While an interesting concept, I find the "Hotel Yamato" segment in the middle part of the movie where all the characters seem to be aimlessly meandering about the hotel dragging on quite a bit. The pacing just doesn't seem to pop like the series did, which is odd, considering the limited amount of time they had to tell this story.
    • Not sure if this is a pro or con, but did the plucky, blond Gamilon kid all of a sudden turn into an angst-ridden teenager within the span of a half-hour? One minute they're ruminating over the truce with Yamato, and the next, the kid looks like he's aged at least 5-10 years! Just how long have they been stuck there? Does time operate differently in this place? Do Gamilons age that quickly in adolescence and then slow down? I vaguely recall something in the main 2199 series that Desslar is actually a lot older than he looks. Maybe it's something I haven't seen yet. If so, please disregard.
    That's where I left off and plan to watch the rest tonight or this weekend. More later...

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  19. Ithekro

For your cons I have some answers:

The guy only knows of Yamato's weapon by reputation. It blew up several thousand Gamilon warship in one shot (the reputation doesn't mention about Balun expanding that did the damage) and it capable of continental destruction (at least). The magnaflame gun doesn't seem to be as powerful and needs the energy transporter system to really do anything. That or he just knows of Yamato's reputation and wants the ship, as its weapons seem to be more powerful in general than everyone elses. It took out several Gamilon forces without the wave motion gun.

Yamato's warping away seemed to have blown a hole in the planet. I don't know why. Maybe because one of the creatures exploded from all that power. But the planet itself should be fine.

"Hotel Yamato" probably pays off by the end. It is slow.

The blond kid and the blond pilot are different characters. At least I think they are. The pilot was suppose to be the guy with Burger when they were bombing Yamato at the Rainbow Cluster, and the kid is too short to have been flying one of those bombers. The kid and the old men are to remind us how desperate Gamilon was to stop Yamato at that fight. Bringing out the retirement aged soldiers and the Dessler Youth equivalents.

20. zakkrusz

Mine shipped out a couple days ago from CDJapan, not expecting it anytime soon with the cheapest shipping possible and US customs. I've got a backlog of other DVDs to keep me busy until then though.