The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yeah, noticed that too. Unfortunately, they'd have to replace the miniature shot with their CG model, which I'd be against.

It looks like back in '88 they composited it over the ILM starbase interior plate (which in the film is the reverse of how it appears here) and then during the edit, decided to flop the completed shot to avoid breaking the 180° rule to keep the Enterprise traveling in the same direction (i.e. right to left).

3. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for your 16:9 versions. How did you create these?
    I compared them with the TSFS screencaps at Trekcore and the new TNG BR ones are clearly superior. The first 2 of the Enterprise approaching the starbase are much charper and retain a lot more detail. The movie version is softer.

But what really surprised me is comparing the flipped shot you mentioned above:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd0159.jpg

In the movie the entire startbase has a greenish tint while the TNG BR version shows lots of details, red and black markings on the starbase model. Clearly, there's a lot of room for improvement with the movies.

5. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Yeah no idea what's happened to this shot. Looks like it's all out of focus, both the fore and background.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Possibly the original shot was zoomed footage? (As with one shot in EaF.) The shot in the episode in SD is painfully blurry too, so it's not an oddity that's showing up for the first time here. ...Just that's it's more obvious now. :)

7. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The movie starbase is softer and inferior due to the grain scrubbing digital cleanups of the movies. If only CBS did the movie blurays! Paramount just did a half assed cheapo effort and maximised profits..

8. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Isn't this the one shot in "The Last Outpost" that was done in 2.35:1 anamorphic and then electronically panned and scanned to create the landscape reveal to the left later in the shot -- the same technique used to create 4:3 versions of 2.35:1 anamorphic films? I guess this was a clever budget-saver at the time but maybe they couldn't find the original Scope elements for this one shot and had to upconvert the video. If so wouldn't this be a strange choice of still to release to tease the upcoming Blu-ray?

9. Maxwell Everett

You're correct about it being anamorphically filmed... and its relative softness may be because the screenshot was taken in the middle of the electronic pan and therefore has added motion blur. It definitely has more apparent detail than the DVD and surely the analog 1-inch tape source.

There's a similarly filmed shot in "The Battle" when Picard is having his vivid dream of losing the Stargazer in his quarters.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda surprised they didn't redo the fancy starfield shot from Where No Man, and make the nebulas a little more detailed and sophisticated.

It looks like the exact same shot as before.

11. Maxwell Everett

A couple hours in Photoshop using the STIII screencaps you mention coupled with the clone stamp tool. It took a bit longer than I thought it would and as you say, there was a fair amount of color/contrast correction on the STIII pieces I used. Looking back, I should've added matched grain to the STIII stuff, but oh well... it looks okay. Glad you like them!

12. Maxwell Everett

I think their philosophy is, if the element still exists and it's high resolution, they're going to use it. The upside is, the show will be finished faster that way. I'm all for it.

13. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think that's the point.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm shocked at how they can duplicate these shots that are on Trekmovie so closely to the originals!!

RAMA

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well yeah, but they greatly improved the Crystalline Entity effect while still keeping it essentially the "same shot". I was just hoping for the same kind of thing here.

16. Maxwell Everett

In fact, of the 23 new shots, only the sun from "The Naked Now" and the phaser beams in "Too Short a Season" are new effects! Everything else is original elements, re-comped.

The Crystalline Entity effect was originally rendered in standard definition, so it required a new effect. The stuff in "Where No One Has Gone Before" was apparently still around and in high enough quality to re-use.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Are you sure about that scene with the Tsiolkovsky? I ask because in the HD shot, you can clearly see the ship's registry number on the rear of the secondary hull (NCC-53911), but when the ship hits the star fragment and explodes, the registry number is only three digits. So either a) the two ships in that scene are CGI as well, b) they're the original model shots but with a new registry number digitally placed on the hull, or c) they're the original model shots and the 53911 number was always there...which would not explain why the number changes later :confused:

18. Maxwell Everett

Perhaps Legato an co. began filming with the miniature out of sequence before they remembered to modify the original Grissom registry (NCC-638)? I guess we'll know in July when we see the shot of the Tsiolkovsky explode. If it says NCC-638, then they goofed backed in '87.

And as you suggest, it wouldn't be that hard to track-in and replace the registry in the final shot. But I'm pretty sure that ship with the Enterprise is the ILM Grissom miniature.

19. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

I don't think the sun from "The naked now" is a new effect, as the black sun spots in the original episode and the HD screenshot are a perfect match. The sky in the Delphi Ardu shot (from "The last outpost"), however, is new. Also, the Relva VII matte painting shot is a little different. While no CG elements have been added, the shot of the small shuttle drone is different in the original episode. It seems the footage is identical to the footage of the drone in "11001001", only mirrored. In the original episode, different footage of the drone is seen.

20. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I checked the same shot at TrekCore. The star has been improved, and the ships are clearer. The registry error has been corrected on the Oberth-class model. Now, for me, I have a question - what is the light source that is illuminating the starboard profile of both ships?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.