The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Technically, that is how the scene resolved.

2. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it does seem a little odd that after all that wandering they would choose a field in plain sight of the house to have their 'dual'

3. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but shooting zombie Shane to save his father doesn't carry the same weight as it would have if Shane had still been alive.

4. Psylent1

Psylent1 Captain Captain

As to the Herd showing up, I think it has been building all season. The primary sense for the Walkers seems to be scent, it is how they recognize each other, so burning all the walkers from the barn may have put an invitation in the air.

Add in at least two dead cows, Dale and Randal and you got blood scent in the air to draw them closer. It is also possible that some of the Herd is following the scent of the Walkers that we have seen. Who knows, maybe a dead Walker attracts other walkers. You swat a bee, it releases a pheromone that tells other bees "Sting here".

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Zombies should remain an environmental threat, but to focus on zombie-centric storys rather than the human drama makes no sense whatsoever. The zombies are there to challenge the characters and occasionally force their hand to change up the dynamic. Nothing more.

6. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

am I the only one who thinks it's half possible that carl was aiming at Rick and accidentally shot zombie shane? :lol:

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Wow, what an episode. I'm glad Shane's dead, especially with Dale gone-- Shane has been conductor on the crazy train for a while now. Daryl will make a much better right-hand man for Rick-- sane and savvy, yet still a contrast.

As usual, the writing and acting were about the best you'll find on TV. Rick's reaction to having to kill his best friend, despite all the guy had done was heartbreaking-- and the fact that he did kill his best friend proved that Shane was wrong, and he can do the hard thing when necessary.

I agree. I hope they don't dumb it down.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Me too, but too much morality (gray) play can make for excessive soap. Circumstances need to keep changing. One thing I like about this show is that everyone's expendable, apparently...

9. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have read the whole plot for the next episode and the way the zombies show is kinda credible.

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact that they weren't noticed earlier (say, when they were on their rampage earlier that day) is the only thing that strains credibility to me.

11. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but every now and then a good Zombiefest is a good time. Like in Battlestar Galactica, having an all out space-battle extravaganza now and then.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Amazing episode.

I loved how Rick took down Shane. The entire scene was perfected shot, written and acted by the two actors. You could see how conflicted Shane was during the whole thing. It was brilliant how Rick was trying to talk Shane down, but in the end it was simply a distraction so he could stab a knife through the other man's heart. Rick's break down after killing Shane was really well acted by Andrew Lincoln. It was all over for Shane the moment he pointed the gun in Rick's face. You don't mess with Rick when he is protecting his family and himself.

Rick being the one to kill Shane never happened in the books, but this was a good change. The show has built up the whole Rick and Shane rivalry too much this season and it would have been a copout to have Shane die any other way. Carl also got to be badass shooting walker Shane. That was perhaps some redemption after being responsible for happened to Dale in the previous episode.

Great cliffhanger at the end. Next week's season finale looks like it is going to be epic!

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Last night's score was very reminiscent of BSG's score. I enjoyed it greatly.

14. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, they let Bear finally slip some music into an episode, and it was very nice. Hopefully they let him continue to do that.

So, we have 13 characters on the farm now going into the season finale. Without any knowledge of spoilers, I am going to guess that at least three characters die next episode. Anyone else want to take a stab at guessing? Am I over/under? Is no one going to buy the farm(ha!) in the finale?

Rick (safe)
    Carl (safe)
    Lori (safe for now I think)
    Andrea (possible)
    Daryl (possible)
    Glen (safe)
    T-Dog (likely)
    Carol(likely)
    Hershel(likely)
    Maggie (safe)
    Beth (likely)
    Patricia (likely)
    Jimmy (likely)

I think it is entirely possible that only a half dozen survive next week.

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I LMAO'd when T-Dog said: "Yo Randy, Governor called. You're off the hook!"

Nice name-dropping! :cool:

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I enjoyed it. Shane and Rick scene was great, and the twist (of the knife) was shocking and surprising.

Regarding the complaints of the Zombie herd coming out of nowhere, I don't understand this complaint. Herschel mentioned the danger of the drying up swamp, Shane and Karl both fired off a shot, and there was alot of noise in the woods from the search for Randall and the showdown between Shane and Rick. It's not surprising at all to me, that this all drew a horde of Zombies in on them.

Heh, Temis, they've been reading your posts, they actually mentioned "Ringing the Dinner Bell" in this episode.

Regarding surviving the Season Finale:

1. T-Dogg, seems to still be pretty expendable, they don't seem to know what to do with him, he may not survive.
    2. Herschel - Since Dale was lost last week, I think there's a hole in the cast, that Herschel can easily fill, so, I'm leaning towards Herschel surviving
    3. Herschel's Family - They're all pretty expendable except for Maggie at this point. Glen and Maggie haven't had an opportunity to get close enough, for the show to get a major dramatic payoff if Maggie gets killed right now, IMHO, so, I think Maggie is safe for now, if/when she is killed, there will be a major drama for Glen. I don't really see any reason for the rest of Herschel's family to survive.
    4. Rick, Lori, Darryl, Andrea, Carol, Glen - I think they're all safe for now. Karl on the other hand will start visibly aging quickly during the gaps between seasons, I think he's safe for now, but, I wouldn't be surprised if S3 is his last season, by the start of S4, he will be very visibly older than he was in S1, and I believe that was only a month or so ago (It doesn't seem likely we'll see a time jump and also doesn't seem likely they'll ignore how quickly the actor is aging, compared to how much time has passed for the character)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  18. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I think Daryl is safe. I also think that Rick, Glenn and Carl are safe. Anyone else is probably up for grabs.

19. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Assuming they are going where I think they are going Andrea, Daryl, Herhsel, and T-Dog should be safe. I expect most of Hershel's family except for Maggie to die. In fact I bet that Beth will be the first to go during the siege.

20. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I don't get why a 'sudden' army of walkers seems so improbable to people here. Earlier in the season along the highway, all of a sudden a big horde of them passed through. I'd imagine this is a similar situation, where for some reason the zombies aggregate and take on a direction.

At least in this situation they were likely attracted by the loud noises that have been occurring over time, and the gunshot that killed Shane was their final lure.

Aside from that, I'm not even sure there needs to be a strong reason.