Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The official Bioware forum for this game has been active in the last few days as details of the game's ending were released. It seems that what has been released has divided the community into love it or hate it factions. For myself, if the details are accurate, I think it's the only way the series could have ended.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My experience says otherwise, at least as far as the British Army is concerned. Try calling a Staff Sergeant "Sergeant" and prepare to get your head bitten off.

Not that it makes any difference to my original point, which was that the dialogue was consistently ambiguous regarding those ranks.

How about we *not* discuss that, 'kay?

3. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Agreed, but when the game launches, when do we permit info to come out, obviously we'll need to use spoiler code during the first week or so, just to be on the safe side. Anybody got any ideas on that?

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

How about we just create a separate thread for spoiler discussions and keep this one spoiler free? Maybe get a moderator to change the thread title accordingly?

I think it's the only sensible thing to do as some people just won't be able to restrain themselves and of course not everyone will be playing the game on launch day. Plus, of course the game launches on different dates in different countries. On top of that, if the game plays out anything like the previous two then we'll all be playing different mission in different orders as we progress.

Personally, I think I'll be staying off the net from the now and until I've completed my first playthrough, regardless. It's been hard enough avoiding major spoilers up until this point (I've already accidentally encountered some minor ones) and I suspect it'll be next to impossible in the coming week.

5. LeadHead

I like that plan, we should keep this thread spoiler free. I haven't been over to the Bioware forums in quite awhile and I know I can't return until I've gotten through the game. This forum should be safe enough as long as we stick to that plan.

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

On the Bioware forum, if only half of them hate it, it must be pretty good.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Quick update for anyone in the UK or Ireland affected by Game situation. In a nutshell though: - for the CE, Amazon, Play.com, ShopTo.net and Zavvi are all sold out, though they're saying Blockbuster, Gamestop and Sainsbury's still have some left.

No word at all on the CE's exclusive pre-order DLC, only that the N7 wargear pack is available for those that pre-ordered the standard edition from Zavvi, Play.com & Thehut.com. They also have a *massive* list of retailers that are stocking the standard edition, so most people who want one shouldn't have too much difficulty.

As I said, they've not said anything about the N7 wargear, or even the Argus (which is a bit odd in and of itself) for the CE pre-orders, but I suspect that's because since the CE was previously *only* available from Game than all of the CE's will come with it. At least that's what they bloody well should do. Personally I only wanted it just to see what my femShep would look like in that ridiculously bulky armour. ;)

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

In the US Military its different. For example I'm a First Lieutenant in the Army, yet I've always been addressed as simply Lieutenant. Even when introducing myself to someone its always done as Lieutenant whatever rather than as 1st or 2nd Lt. Even more common is being addressed as simply "LT"

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was my thought too. I've noticed a big backlash against ME3 from fans of the franchise over the last few months and a lot of them seem to be the same people that dislike ME2 for not being a "real" RPG, whatever that means. Since I think that ME2 was a considerably better game than ME1, I'm reasonably confident that I'm going to enjoy this game. :techman:

I just preordered at my local Gamestop just in case this Game situation affects supplies in the area and I'll pop in early next Friday to pick it up.

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Although I have faith that this won't be the case, am I the only one concerned that there's been so much attention given to the whole multiplayer arena combat aspect of ME3 (an aspect I have no interest in, preferring solo gaming especially in RPGs - and yes I consider ME to be a "real" RPG) and virtually nothing about the story aspects, the voice acting, etc? I know the information is out there if I go hunting (there are references in this very thread, of course), but for example I've yet to see any article or preview mentioning whether, for example, Yvonne Strakovski reprises Miranda or Martin Sheen comes back as Illusive Man. I suppose it could be considered a spoiler, maybe. But even in the gaming store yesterday all I could see were promos for the multi-player (of course the PS3 packaging is useless because they cover the back with disclaimers and technical info so you never really get an idea what these games are about anyway). And based on my experience over the last month playing ME2 that's not what it's all about (any more than I'd be interested in arena multiplayer for Half-Life 2; Team Fortress remained in my copy of The Orange Box uninstalled).

Alex

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think the demo went a long way to assuage a lot of the fears surrounding the multi-player. Of course the marketing people are focusing on the multiplayer aspect since it's a major new feature and one I imagine they're hoping will draw in *new* customers who may not normally play single player games, let alone RPGs.

As for how they're reporting on the game, I for one am glad that spoilers have been largely kept out of the trailers and I'm confident enough in Bioware's track record that I'm not concerned about the single player either. Maybe it's just me, but I *want* to be suprised! ;)

To answer your questions though: yes, Sheen is definitely back as TIM. Yvonne Strakovski I'm less sure about, but Miranda, like all former (surviving) squadmates, is also definitely back.

[Edit] For those still looking, Play.com has the CE back in stock for all platforms, complete with the N7 wargear pack. No telling how long it'll stay that way of course!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  12. TheGodBen

There was the voice cast trailer that was released a few weeks ago:

[yt]v=Hfvo5ueKJY8[/yt]
    I'm not sure about Strakovski but I presume she's returning as all crewmembers from ME2 are supposedly in the game at some point. Then again, they changed Mordin's VA so it's possible she's not in it. :shrug:

13. LeadHead

I think they'd have a hard time replacing Miranda at all, since it's not just Yvonne's voice but her facial features that went into the character.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It would certainly be weird if they changed her voice actor, but I think I'd understand if some of the characters are recast. I mean let's be realistic, it's a *huge* ensemble and they have a finite budget. It stands to reason that they might not be able to afford to bring everyone back, especially if they're the relatively famous actors and as such, not working for scale. If they're only playing relatively minor parts then it just might not be worth hiring them, especially when you have some very talented voice actors with a diverse vocal range already cast.

15. TheGodBen

They have Martin Sheen, that's enough for me. They could have had him replace all the other actors without any variation in the voices and I'd still be happy with the result.

16. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Even if they changed voice casting for pre-existing characters, it wouldn't be that difficult for new voice actors to try and match their predecessors in voices somewhat and let the sound techs 'sort it out' - they certainly have had the tech to do it for some time now.
    Having said that... Bioware has a tendency to pay a lot of attention to details when it comes to Mass Effect, so this would be a relatively minor 'problem' to overcome - but realistically, I don't think there will be many changes that would impact the game in a negative capacity (least of all one that would be noticeable unless you are really looking to spot the changes in question).

Anyway... I'm replaying Mass Effect 2 myself right now with all the DLC content and having a blast.
    I thought about simply importing my save from previous ME2 game, but it was corrupted (unlike my ME1 save) so I decided to replay until the third game comes.

I gotta say I love the ME series... and (finally) there should be same-sex relationship options in this third release.
    Heh... either way, will be interesting to see how the story comes to a wrap and what might happen after ME3 - if they perhaps continue it in some shape/form.

I would love it if the ME movie for example would be done 'properly'.
    I find a lack of genuine SF and technical aspects that could easily be realistic in real life dismissed as 'techno babble' that is usually replaced with hardcore action and explosions.
    I see no reason not to have all those aspects combined.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^If you want to replace lost saves, it's pretty easy to do if you use 'Gibbed's ME2 Save Editor'. Just start a new game with the Shepard you want, save as soon and the Lazarus level starts, exit, edit the save file with whatever ME1 plot flags you like, reload and you're away!

18. Deks

I was aware of that option, but I chose not to do it because I find it more fun to go through the game again.
    :-)

19. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

First off, in my last post, I didn't mean to spoiler anything for anyone. I attempted to be vague, for I honestly am not sure if what I am reading is accurate for I haven't seen anything yet that verifies the rumors. So, again, if I upset anyone, I apologize.

Secondly, from what I have read and seen at IGN, I will be spending a fair amount of time in the Citadel. This game has a terrible case of Skyrim-itis wherein I can't take a step without acquiring a new quest. I fervently hope that the quests don't become a drag like they did in the first game.

20. Deks

I don't mind the side-quests and the RPG-iness of the first game.
    I do think that they should have kept a few things from the first game in how a character levels up though instead of dialing it down to biotic abilities and weapons damage - tech hacking skills etc. probably should have/could have been kept - and a limited (instead of infinite) inventory would be good for exploratory purposes.

The side-quest buggy tank driving missions in ME1 were a bit of a drag though (to go all over the map to find a base and then shoot everything in it (the interiors were rather copy/pasted as well).
    That was the only part that was a bit tedious - not to mention going through all of those hills and whatnot.