A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was. There's a short period in B5's schedule when the control room is entirely empty, and he said the speech then.

That's pretty much the punchline of the sequence; Sheridan finally gets to say his speech but nobody's there to hear it.

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

...which made him seem kinda nuts to me at the time.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can only agree, while Na'Toth was never all that interesting the original actress at least gave her some personality while this new actress just feels bland. I'll reserve judgement until I see more but she hasn't made a good start.

I was a bit thrown by him calling Lincoln an "old Earth President" because Lincoln wasn't President of Earth, he was President of some United States over thataway. I know JMS probably phrased it that way for brevity because saying "an old President of one of Earth's historic nation-states" might have been a bit much, and he was writing for an American audience so he probably didn't care.

Other than that, it was a standard television speech, it was no "The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight."

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I think it just meant "president from Earth".

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Don't waste your time.

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Yeah, it's not really a spoiler to say that JMS wasn't happy with the new Na'Toth, and as a result she's barely even in the show this year.

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

JMS purposefully wrote Sheridan to be light and fluffy in the early half of season two. He wanted to play off Boxleitner's reputation for playing rather lightweight roles, such as in Scarecrow and Mrs. King, before showing the character's real teeth, so to speak.

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It occurs to me nobody's mentioned Warren Keffer yet, but then, he hasn't really done anything at this point,
    nor will he ever. What a pointless character. There was potential in theory for a hotshot fighter pilot character - just look at the fertile ground it was for BSG - but JMS didn't like having a character imposed on him from on high, so he axed him at the first available opportunity and used him as little as possible otherwise.

Quite. It's a pity as I remember Mary Kay Adams as being pretty good as Grilka in her two DS9 appearances. But then haven't seen those episodes in years, my memory may be playing with me.

9. Vestboy

Vestboy Captain Captain

JMS said something about how, in the second episode of season two, he needed G'Kar to talk to someone that he reasonably trusted, and there was only Na'Toth. Recasting the actress made more sense then creating a new character completely. But it's true, with either actress, Na'Toth never "popped" like Vir or Lennier.

10. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to wonder, after he's finished watching the series, if Godben's gonna go back and read all these spoiler tags?

Revelations was good, though I felt ol' Bruce was given some really heavy material for only his second episode. Not sure if he was able to pull that kind of drama so soon. Quite liked Garibaldi's interrogation though.

Next episode's a great one! Well, maybe not, but it does feature the B5 premier of my favorite director across both B5 and DS9. (edit: plus, the DVD commentary's a hoot, though I'd hold off listening to it since there's a number of spoilers in it :bolian: )

11. TheGodBen

Only if I remain unemployed after leaving college. :lol:

I really shouldn't laugh, it's probably going to happen. :(

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

There are always jobs in food service. :p

13. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, those dark cauldrons I have trod. When I feel their hellish, greasy flames lick at my feet, I run a little faster.

:devil:

14. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Maybe then is when you need to watch the series - and fill us in on your views - the most.

15. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! I hear you on that one.

*nervous laugh, looking at frighteningly blank post-April schedule*

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've been graduated for 2 years, and bartending at TGI Fridays is still the best thing I've been able to find. :lol:

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is what I thought:

Sheridan: "When I was 21.."

Me, interrupting: "I SAW A GAZELLE BEING BORN.."

Everyone falls off the couch laughing.. had to rewind the dvd to hear the speech.

That about sums it up.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Sheridan's speech was a good luck speech and given almost a decade before Archer's speech there's no connection between the two.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Would you like spoo with that?

20. TheGodBen

What do I look like, a robot?

Hmm, I suppose I could build a bartending robot, have it take your job and keep all the money for myself! :D Wait, the hydrogen fuel-cells would make it uneconomical. :( I guess I'll let you keep your job and I'll sit around all day reading spoiler tags.

Luckily for me I have a thesis to keep me distracted! :)

So I'll read the spoiler tags between May and the third week in August, then I'll panic and throw something together in two weeks. And if I fail then that only means I'll have something to occupy my time come September.

Tee hee hee. Scott Bakula made a funny. :)

The Geometry of Shadows (**)

Technomages. Oh, goodie. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but this is just one of those things I find too silly to take seriously. I realise that they don't really do magic and that everything they do is based on science, but if the future is going to have bands of people like this roving the galaxy then I'm going to chop my nuts off just to ensure that none of my descendants have to meet them.

Only joking, ladies. You can keep that hope alive. ;)

The one moment I did like about this plot was the final scene between Elric and Londo. So Londo is this show's Gul Dukat, eh? I didn't see that one coming. I guess Kegg is right, nobody on this show is as they first seem.

As for the b-plot, I loved the simplicity of the greens and purples killing one another for such a silly reason. Well, it's silly to me, I'm sure it makes sense to them. The ending was a bit too easy, and while I admired the fact that Garibaldi was questioning his competence as security chief, I can't say I was thrilled by the way it was resolved. It was a little too TV-like, which isn't what I expect from a... television show. :alienblush:

I'm feeling very tired today, does it show?

Oh bugger, I nearly forgot Scott Bakula!

Scott Bakula: 20