The Prime Alternative

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Angel

Sgt Angel Lieutenant Red Shirt

This next image is for Ricky and anyone else interested in the actual size of my shuttle. I am hoping this will help in the scaling of the decals Ricky :)

[​IMG]

2. Sgt Angel

Had trouble with the paint for some reason. Did a lite sanding to put another coat of the same gloss white on, and it bubbled the paint..not sure why, any suggestions would sure help. Scared to put any more paint on it in fear it will make it worse. Have sanded the bad stuff and primed again, but not sure I should apply the paint or not. What you think?

3. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

- What was your base coat / primer?
    - What brand filler / putty was used?
    - What was the gloss-coat used?

4. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, I've found that I have to stick with Krylon or Valspar spray paint... if I use anything else, I've had trouble with layers of paint sticking together.

I also don't sand between layers either, so I'm not sure.

-Ricky

5. Sgt Angel

I actually used three different kinds of Primer depending on what I was covering, first was a generic white primer for the first coat after filling and sanding, then I lightly sanded again, looked for imperfections and filled those, then sanded again, then applied a generic grey primer. The grey then allowed me to visual see if there were any other imperfections, which I then sanded again. Then for a final primer, I used an automotive crack filler primer...its thicker and seeps into small cracks and levels off the finish. Then I sprayed my final Gloss White Krylon finishing coat. All was good, it looked beautiful. The antenna on top had been masked off for the final spraying, so was a flat gray. I took my can of clear lacquer and gave it a shot to gloss it up like the rest of the craft and low and behold, the whole section it touched, bubbled right down to the first layer of white primer. I figure oh S#$#@!..but wiped it all off and then sanded it smooth again. Since it was stilled primed, I gave it another spray of the gloss white again and every where the gloss white touched (even the first coat of gloss white) it bubbled again. So now, I have wiped it down and sanded AGAIN and then sprayed the whole top of the top with the generic primer and that's how it sits...not sure what to spray it with now. If I do try the gloss again, you can be sure I will have to mask off the whole bottom of the top section so I don't get any overspray.

6. MadMan1701A

It's probably the clear lacquer that did that to you... if you sprayed the lacquer over an enamel, it probably had a reaction.

I just use clear gloss enamel to paint my top layer, and it seems to work well. The one I like is Krylon Triple Thick glaze.

-Ricky

7. 1701TPA

Hi Terry/ Sgt Angel
    In addition to Ricky's great insights & comments above,
    I also sent you an email with a few writes-up that may help : )
    also check this forum, RPF http://www.therpf.com/f11/tacky-paint-problem-please-help-75163/
    -- a lot of great artists & builders there ready to offer their insights & help ...

8. FrankT

FrankT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kudos! These models more resemble how I envision a rebooted original series.

9. 1701TPA

10. Sgt Angel

Hi RIck,
    Did not get the email...but did get the issue resolved. It was the clear lacquer, so once I sanded It all down again and added another coat of primer, my white gloss coat went on nice and smooth.

11. Sgt Angel

Got the kinks worked out of the paint, now I can start on the bottom again. Any luck on the decals Ricky? Just email me the template and I will print them off when you have them done.

[​IMG]

12. Sgt Angel

one more quick shot of the paint.

[​IMG]

13. Sgt Angel

A couple quick questions.....first was there ever a physical model of the Prime Alternate Enterprise built? What about the 12" version of the shuttle mentioned in earlier posts, were they ever completed and if so by whom. Were there any photos taken, would love to see them if there were. The second question...which of the lights on the shuttle blink and which flash (strobe) Just so I get it right. :) Angel

14. MadMan1701A

Morning. :)

The big 1:350 model of the Prime Enterprise is still being worked on, but I think it might be finished later this year. It's looking awesome, so far.

I'm supposed to be building the 12'' shuttle, but haven't gotten it printed out yet. :)

As far as the lights, the white lights are strobe lights, and the red and green ones are slow blinking.

It's looking good. :) Are you planning on leaving it white, or were you going to do another coat of light grey on top of that?

-Ricky

15. Sgt Angel

I need to complete the bottom (Filling, Sanding and more structure work and then a coat of white. My plan is to try and do some "Aztec Decals" afterwards, but we'll see how the build finishes off first :)

So as far as the red and greens, do they all blink (the ones on the sides of the shuttle as well as all the ones on the engine pods?)or are some just static lights (no blink just solid)

16. 1701TPA

But the PA Shuttle is not white (or Gloss) its Gray - with the dark gray on the bottom portion and the lighter gray on the upper body
    http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/Images/Shuffle2.jpg

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104550&d=1373316860

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  17. MadMan1701A

Yep, they all blink. The red and green ones should blink at the same time, with the strobes blinking about twice as fast.

-Ricky

18. 1701TPA

Terry... The lights flash the same as seen in the PA Enterprise video- see link below
    PRIME ALTERNATIVE E Early 2010 Draft Animation fly around HD < sound on > by Ricky (MadMan11701A) Wallace > http://www.mediafire.com/file/54wybly9vowxxe3/PrimeAlternative_HD.wmv

19. Sgt Angel

Okie Dokie, got it...more sanding ;)

20. Sgt Angel

Well I tried to match the greys as best I could, hard to do with standard off the shelf spray paints. Now I need to finish my sanding and building the lower back panel and all its details as well as the underside of one wing and the whole wing on the other side.
    Here are a few ROUGH pictures of the color combination.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.