The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 24, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

1. Excellent

33.8%
  2. Good

42.6%
  3. Fair

14.7%
  4. Poor

5.9%
  5. Terrible

2.9%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they stuck with the classic design.

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

The second one down is sweet!

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean Peter gave up the search for his father? Because he really didn't seem to give two shits about his mother.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No, actually if you really look at the new suit in the film they didn't. It's certainly one of the things I don't like going in.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ From what I remember, it was pretty close. It still had the broad strokes down. And I prefer it to the concept designs above.

7. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If anyone here has an account with funds on Intrade, I suggest that you invest in the market for The Amazing Spider-Man making $75 million or more this weekend. The odds are still extremely good for making money on this one, despite existing box office receipts which make this a guarantee.

That is all.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The red really makes it striking. It's interesting that "The Man of Steel" is trying these same concepts(No belt) but Spider-man pulls off the look better.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The third one is my favorite because it reminds me of a stylized take on "Spider-Man 2099".

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I was thinking the same thing. I would have been pretty okay with that design.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for sharing that article, it's an interesting read. It did seem like a lot of the storylines were just cut short in order to fight The Lizard. Although maybe one way to interpret it is Peter puts his own revenge search on the backburner in order to protect innocents (but there should have been some reference, just a line indicating he's going to continue the search for Uncle Ben's killer).

The star tattoo makes me think that the killer is going to part of a group, perhaps tying into a larger arc with the villain of the next movie.

I hope those deleted scenes make it onto the dvd. I'd especially like to see more of Gwen and her father.

IGN had this article which speculates about what the end-credits scene means.

I've long championed Mysterio to be the villain so I hope it's him. Electro would be visually interesting as well.

His father is a strong possibility too given that storyline is going to span the next films.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

These don't resemble anything close to Liefield designs.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw this on opening day, but haven't really had too much time to post lately. I was under the impression that an origin story (again) was going to be a complete waste of my time, but it didn't really bother me all that much. I guess a decade will do that. I think the Lizard made a great villain and Emma Stone is the best thing since sliced bread. Mary Jane can just never show up for all I care.

I'm going to give it an A-. I thought the ending with the serum was really dumb, but I enjoyed everything else. If they can keep these movies coming out at regular intervals, I think this could be the beginning of a great franchise.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have never ever liked those web "cape"/wings/whatever so I'm extremely pleased they didn't go that route.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I gotta say, I just started watching that Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, and I thought they handled the Lizard origin in a MUCH more compelling and believable way than the movie.

Having the family there not only made him more sympathetic as Connors, but made him seem quite a bit more dangerous as the Lizard as well. His transformation was a lot more gradual and creepy, and his motivation was a whole lot clearer too. Instead of that odd "World Without Weakness" nonsense, his goal was simply to help amputees grow their limbs back.

17. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^I was disappointed his wife family didn't get a mention. I always liked that aspect of his character in the comics, it made his transformation all the more tragic. His wedding ring was visible in the film, it's a shame that the stuff with his family apparently got cut.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A guy at work saw this movie yesterday and this morning was saying how much he liked it. Now I'm even more discouraged because I have a rather low opinion of this guy's taste and judgement. :lol: We never like the same things and he watches crap I would never even glance at.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, less the design and more the over muscularness of them and the lines/details on it and how every muscle can be seen through the costume (rather than having places where a material would drape or bunch-up) as well as Spider-man's "smooth area."

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

After seeing those, the final design they went with looks better than ever. It was still recognizably Spidey, but with a slightly more modern and edgy twist.

As good as the classic design is, I'm not sure it would have been quite as good a fit for this movie as it was with Raimi's.