Superman costume to appear on SMALLVILLE after all

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 24, 2009.

1. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

what does he have against the idea of a suit & tie?

is this guy for real?

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

He doesn't want to be typecast. He plainly feels that playing Clark Kent will restrict the roles available to him once he has moved on.

He simply doesn't want to do anything that will make him look like Christopher Reeve in the Superman movies.

3. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

So to re-cap...

What news? Is that artist sketch legit? What happened? HUH!?

...*confused*

As far as Welling and Superman...

We'll never really truly know what his reasons are for not wanting to done the cape. That said, I think for enough money, he would do such. Or if it was briefly enough, like the series finale and it was 30 seconds of screen time.

I also wonder how much the Superman curse comes into play. For both personal tragedies and careers, playing Superman has never been a good thing. Which I imagine must weigh on the mind of anyone in the role.

4. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I found interesting about Welling's Comic-Con comments, was when he was talking about his audition, and how he wasn't that interested initially because he thought it was a show about Superman (ala Lois and Clark from the 90's), and figured it had been done before. It wasn't until he found out that it was about Clark Kent as a young adult that he agreed to audition. I think that is indicitive of his attitude towards the show. Maybe he's not as much of a prima donna about the suit as people think. Maybe he's just a bit reluctant because he doesn't want the show to turn into Lois and Clark MkII.

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I can understand the Superman suit, however a normal suit that is just crazy, why on earth did he take the role if he is unwilling to actually play the role.

I think Clark wearing a proper suit would be great for show, im fed up with seeing him in his farm clothes (for want of a better phrase).

Should be noted that im sure he didnt think the show would go on this long, and he did not think he would end up playing the Daily Planet Clark, yet alone Superman himself.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was something along the lines of "It's really awesome you are looking at me." Or something like that. I'm guessing the girl was either Jr. High or early High School age.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She asked her question and then also asked if he can make his answer a long one so that he can keep looking at her.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

talking of things Tom Welling does not like doing that make him appear like Daily Planet Clark Kent, kissing Lois Lane, that is something that will type cast him as the adult Clark Kent (along with working at the Daily Planet) I noticed Tom does not object to kissing Erica, still having spent so long kissing Kirsten who can blame the guy.

;)

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I wouldn't be surprised if they were just trying to avoid the wrath of the fangirls with this near constant dancing around the subject of Clark and Lois here.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this has been brought up in the past quite a few times when you read how Welling got into this role.

As the glasses thing, it's sort of become an urban legend.

"Oh Welling won't wear them because they interfere with his acting"

"OH! Welling wore them for two seconds before ditching them! He's got to hate them!"

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

im sorry but what on earth are these fangirls thinking of? why would they hate Lois&Clark so much?

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Think about it: Tom Welling with someone else.

13. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just thinking that this news would have been far more welcome had it been announced that the suit would appear at the end of the FOURTH season.

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

so why on earth did they tolerate Clark & Lana for so long?

to be frank after the whole "Save Ianto" rubbish, I think fangirl type behaviour should be ignored by the producers of TV shows, or do the exact opposite.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I don't think anyone tolerated that.

The show is on the CW. Got to do what the female audience wants at all costs.

It's why we get scenes where Oliver's naked but camera moves upwards just as Tess undoes one button on her blouse.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

A crime against humanity, I say!

(the camera moving, not the unbuttoning)

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

someone did, it went on far to long.

and yes I dont like the Green Arrow character enough to not want to see Tess in a state of undress

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Alfred Gough and Miles Millar?

19. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed !
    It's right up there with Kara leaving the show without at least some kind of skimpy shower scene :klingon:

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It's a very strange example of how mixed up this show can get sometimes. They'll repeatedly show Lois in a swimsuit in the title sequence but then they do weird things like refusing to show The Orgasm Murderer's bare neck or the strange instances of using a body double whenever Kristin Kreuk had to appear in her underwear.

Right now, the show has a cast almost completely chosen (with the exception of Allison Mack) for their looks, yet it's a bit one-sided in the clothing removal department. Then you have to couple that with the high probability that if a male character isn't completely clothed he will also be physically restrained in some manner too.