Other planetary unions other than the Federation

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bbjeg, Jun 6, 2013.

1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Are there any? Why does it feel like only the federation thought of that Idea. Romulans and Cardassians would make a good union. At a flip of a coin they may join your side or back stab you.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, given both the Cardassians and Romulans were highly xenophobic, I'd say a union is out of the line. Precisely for the same reason they're so similar at times, they're treacherous and expect treachery as the norm. So trust is out of the question. At best you're going to get collaborations like Tain and the Tal Shiar's incursion.

But if you're looking for a planetary union of multiple races... well the Dominion was pretty much designed on the thesis of being the "anti-Federation." Though instead of uniting together in peace and cooperation, it's politics out the barrel of a gun.

3. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Romulan Star Empire implies, to me, a stellar union. So does Cardassian Union. Maybe Morn's people are part of the Union. For that matter, the Klingon Empire probably spans several star systems and encompasses various species (we just don't see). I don't recaell evidence the Romilans or Cardassians were Xenophobic, just Orwellian and oppressive.

The Dominion obviously held dominion over multiple stars and species.

One would think the First Federation covered multiple peoples, but we saw how overblown and tending to exaggerate Balok turned out to be.

The Borg were multi-species and vast.

The Son'a had two subjugated species.

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TOS had a few multi-planet (single system?) unions.

Eminiar and Vendikar (before/after the war).
    Ekos and Zeon.
    Troyius and Elas in the Tellun system.

I'd think there'd be more planetary unions consisting of half a dozen worlds or so. Seems everything in ST is either a one world civilization or a vast empire/federation.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The First Federation (Balok) and the Nyberrite Alliance (Tekeny Ghemor once mentioned them - he said they were always eager to hire experienced officers for their fleet) tend to spring to mind.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was Worf who mentioned the Nyberite Alliance actually in Way of the Warrior. He was going to hire on to one of their ships when he quit Starfleet. They were a group I was hoping we'd hear more about.

7. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in the novels you currently have the typhon pact, made up of I belive Romulans, Gorn, Breen, Tholians and Tellerites

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

In TOS the Klingon Empire was originally conceived as a multi-species Empire as well, with "Klingon" being a political name instead of the name for their species but the writers figured it might confuse the audience to see a bunch of aliens all called "Klingons" so they just made them a single Empire.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Source?

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Some issue of the Trek magazine, IIRC. But I don't have it. I might be wrong.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In Errand of Mercy, Kirk said (iirc) that the Klingon Empire engaged in conquest, this would imply that the Empire was composed of not just Klingons, but also other non-Klingon alien races.

Or maybe I'm thinking of FASA?

:)

12. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

^Yes, but an Empire isn't really a union of species. It's one species subjugating others.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

They should have expanded on them. Not really as aggressors but just as another party.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not Tellarites.

The TP members you didn't mention were the Tzenkethi and the Kinshaya.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

When I heard Tzenkethi raiders the first time I thought specifically of Genghis Khan's army for some reason.

16. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

United by force.

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily, being joined together doesn't automatically imply that it was voluntary on the part of all parties involved.

:)

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I always thought the Xindi were a proto-type Federation of sorts.

19. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

The Republic in Star Wars is perfect example of both things happening. It started off as a democratic union of planets.

The senators then gave their chancelor so much power he later used it to simply "reorganize" the republic and make it into an empire.

It was supported by tyranny and violence, yet technically it was supposed to be a republic.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And dominated by "humans".