20 most Cringeworthy Scenes in the New Trek films???

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Jul 19, 2014.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

And is it really that big of a violation to begin with? I agree with Kirk's assessment: they saw us, big deal. A few natives saw the Enterprise. For a while there will be stories about it among them. Then it will simply fade away with time.

And I'd rather watch Kirk save people than see Picard and his officers sit on their hands and mumble about a "cosmic plan".

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A severe case of starship envy, me thinks;)

3. BillJ

I have to keep telling that to the wife. I'm not sure she's buying it. :shifty:

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually thought the Enterprise in TOS was ridiculously small. Starships only about the length of aircraft carriers (with a good part of that length due to the engines)? A saucer only football field length in diameter. A secondary hull only a bit longer than a football field and at its tallest only about the size of a seven story building. Its size wouldn't look impressive compared to today's cruise ships.

The crew of only 430 felt wrong in many ways, too, given the many needs aboard ship and the need for redundancy in jobs.

Space is big. Why such small ships? I think sizing things up (starting with the TNG Enterprise then with the Abrams Enterprise) was a good idea.

5. xavier

xavier Commander

Really, You got to be kidding. Uhura is unprofessional?:confused:

Kirk would be worst in that area. The real thing that is cringeworthy is when fans say Uhura is unprofessional but some how they give the guys a free pass.

Lets count the time Kirk acted unprofessional shall we:

He rigged the kobayashi maru test

he screams at Spock when he was captain in the first film and they were on a more dangerous mission.
    he ridiculed his teachers
    he uses girls for sex and to pass exams
    In into darkness he chews out spock in front of captain pike for not going along with him by lying about the mission.
    Kirk got on the enterprise because he was friends with bones. Uhura got on the enterprise because she was top in her class.

From my veiw point, I think all this behaviors at time shows how three dimensional the characters are but if people are going to chew the girl out for being unprofessional you may as well chew the guys out who are twice as worse. :eek: :wtf:

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing about Kirk violating the Prime Directive at the start of the movie was that he was not only called out on it, he was severely reprimanded and demoted, too. It'd be cringeworthy if he got off scott free, like Pike ruffling his hair and then buying him a beer; or even worse, the matter dropped altogether like the dozens of times that the Prime captains did it. But we have not only follow up, but the start of Kirk's character arc for the movie -- and that ultimately ends with him apologizing to the crew and sacrificing his life in the warp core.

7. Franklin

:techman:
    +1

8. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

13. Hi, Christopher, I’m Nero” From Star Trek

This is one of my favorite lines in NuTrek. The sudden dropping of all pretense, the deadpan delivery from Eric Bana. I knew at once that we finally had a bad guy we could take seriously. IMO Nero is the best Trek bad guy since TWOK-Khan (and yes, I had to go there). He didn't monologue, he just acted. It was epic.

9. Franklin

Since Nero is a civilian, so he doesn't have any protocol or courtesy to adhere to in how he addresses Pike. The delivery actually reminded me of Bill Murray. I thought it was great, too.

10. BillJ

+1 to both of these.

11. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was great too. He was being condescending to Pike, that was the point. I think some people didn't get this.

12. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

"My name... is Khan."

13. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Yeah, I don't get that. And it just brings everyone back to the Khan vs Harrison argument. Not a cringeworthy moment unless you were one of the few who 1) didn't want to see a new Khan and 2) didn't know you were getting one whether you wanted it or not ;)

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The bar is pretty low. After all, they let me write for them! :lol:

(Didn't write this, thankfully).

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm sure your articles are the exception though.

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

The term cringeworthy done mostly probably for hyperbole is much too harsh

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, the most cringeworthy scenes are simple: the last twenty-five minutes of Into Darkness. Literally every single second was difficult for me to sit through. Not just the Twok scenes reveresed. Not just the "solution" Spock comes up with for defeating the Vengeance. Not just Checkov's super strength. Not just Bones' "superblood" comment. The entire last twenty five minutes. Every second. Ugh.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I've read and enjoyed a couple of the pieces you've written for them, as well as other examples of your writing elsewhere. You obviously cleared the bar with room to spare.

Most of the rest of what I've seen from Whatculture (and particularly the items which have been linked in this forum as "evidence" of something-or-other) could well have crawled in under the bar, for all I know - amateurish stuff.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Checkov's (sic) Super strength"?

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Authors get paid on a per click basis, and the site earns revenue based on ads, so let's just say the editing is heavily inclined towards eye-catching headlines and making the pieces more argumentative, not cleaning up mistakes or elevating the conversation.

But I try -- the problem is it takes me ages to write something (I'm putting together a piece on the "greatest sci-fi movies of the 20th century," which is of course obnoxiously hyperbolic, and who knows when I'll finish it).