Favorite blatant contradictions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And there have to be similar names and crew with the exact same names.

Although.

The computer probably has a list of often called/favourites and it extrapolates from their if the crew don't make their own lists manually like we do on cell phones with speeddialing.

Remember everything, even crew speaking English to other crew listening for English, it all still goes through the universal translator so the computer is picking up a lot of nuance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

They use tachyons.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The combadge links with the chip in your brain they install at birth to know who you're calling. This is what also makes the universal translator work for multiple languages and what Section 31 uses to monitor your thoughts.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I wear a transparent aluminum hat will it block Section 31 from my thoughts?

5. Guy Gardener

Ordinary peoples little thoughts? Probably.

Your thoughts? I doubt it.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I just found they're off the hook for Mezzati's home planet. She did not go back to her home planet (Which Janeway said she'd been to), she went home with the twins.

7. Guy Gardener

You remember back in the 1978 Superman movie when that 3 year old Kal El lifts the Kent family Model T Ford above his head?

It would have been fantastic seeing those kids prove that they are 4 or 5 times stronger than Harry Kim because they all have hydrolic duranium endoskellitons.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a critical position, which means it should be filled by someone who's trusted and highly capable. You can put a bright, promising ensign there, no problem. If he does well, you keep him there and give him a promotion. If he doesn't do well, you shuffle him to a different department where his skills can be utilized better.

But if such an officer is never promoted from ensign after seven years, it's because he's either not trusted or has proven himself incapable. In neither case would you simply leave him in that critical job.

9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

true but Janeway herself said she didnt want to promote him due to their situtation, and she handpicked him for ops

silly perhaps but not really a contradiction given who his Captain is...

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It was mentioned earlier about "Threshold" and the lizard-syndrome that Paris and Janeway developed for travelling at warp 10. By the end of the episode the Doctor had cured them and they never showed any negative effects of the transformation afterwards (you have to love Voyager's reset button almost as much as the shuttlecraft genie).

Why didn't they just go ahead and jump to warp 10 for a second in order to get back to Earth. Once there, the Doctor could then cure all the human crew (there is nothing to saw the aliens onboard would be affected in the same way) by the same method no bother.

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, you're right. The contradiction isn't Harry, the contradiction is JANEWAY. :p

12. Guy Gardener

"Shuttle Genie" :)

That's hilarious.

The shuttle didn't have a steering wheel. They had no idea how to navigate in a strait line at warp ten, god forbid plot a course to earth.

The technology was in it's it's infancy.

13. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is she implying that if she promoted him, he'd HAVE to change positions? That's just silly.

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^No. She'd have to promote everybody else. At least, that's probably Janeway's reasoning

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I've read this thread twice now and still makes no sense :)

16. Guy Gardener

Almost thirty people died (or left) (I counted once.).

Janeway decided to consolidate rank and staff positions rather than promote because then ther'd be no grunts at the bottom.

Kim completely has to move out of Ops.

If he wants more responsibility in proportion to an increase in rank, he has to do more. He can't do more if he's doing the same thing. And if he is moonlights to find that extra responsibility, then he's half assing the Ops job... And it's a consideration for everyone elses safety that they promote a petty chief or an able crewman to the Ops Job if Kim thinks his talents are more suited elsewhere.

But as I said a long time ago. The rank is about the size of the department and the amount of crew he has to command to keep Ops running 24/7 and their rank. Anyone can sit in the chair and do that job for a dutyshift. They're all supergeniuses. Kim's really hard job is to tell the 10 enlisted crewmen in his department what to do and when to do it and let them know what they are doing and when they are doing that for the next ten weeks and if/when that's all going to change due to the unexpected and if they are worthy of promotion, stagnation or demotion... When Section heads have a poker night they play for crew to get rid of their lemons.

17. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scorpion - Kes reliably informs us that Species 8472 is a violent race of pure evil and Janeway uses this information to justify helping the Borg to murder as many of them as they like

In the Flesh - turns out....Species 8472 are fluffy, cuddly space bunnies with hearts of gold......making Kes look like and idiot and Janeway an accomplice to attempted genocide

oops

18. Guy Gardener

Not a contradiction.

That happened organically.

Janeway could have apologised however.

19. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Their established character traits are entirely undermined and presented as being essentially the absolute opposite of reality - doing that over the period of one episode does not adequately qualify as being an organic development to me

and if Janeway had apologised......now that really would have been a contradiction of established character traits

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Janeway tried to tractor 8472's ship, beam it away, then had her people board it all during their first encounter as if she was entitled to do all this... then she wonders why the pilot reacted in a hostile way?