New ST:XI trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Sector 7, Nov 13, 2008.

1. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I make no promises but you guys might like to go to [no, you diiiiidn't!]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
  2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

James "I need my pain!" Kirk might disagree with you. ;)

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

More versions appearing on youtube, this one seems to have better sound then the other i saw:

[link removed - please read]

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Did you also hate the explosions in ST II, ST III, ST VI, "First Contact", "Insurrection" and "Nemesis"?

5. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Reports say that Urban's McCoy is dead-on, so I'm thinking that's not his best moment and that the line was selected more for dramatic content than for authenticity-of-character...

And as for Scotty: I admittedly love Simon Pegg and the idea of him as Scotty, so mebbe I'm biased, but in his defense that appears to be a moment shortly after he is brought up from the ice planet and seems to be his first experience of the Enterprise, so he's not exactly in work mode. I'm sure he settles down and does Scotty justice once he gets to engneering.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got to wonder why version of TOS some of those people were watching? do they not think the space battle would have been like this if GR had the budget and technology available to him?

7. Basil

Basil Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not so much in TOS, where pills, tapes, books, wrenches, printouts, flashlights, push buttons, non-digital clocks, and other "old tech" existed right alongside the fantastic each week. Of course, these things are often cited as evidence of how dated the show is, but in many ways, they support the notion that some "old tech" would make it into the 23rd century, just as folks here have pointed out that plenty of old tech inventions still exist in ours.

8. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

I'm all on that... good point! My issues, personally, have nothing to do with the Corvette. Hell, I hope my fricken Fiero is still around in how many generations. ;-)

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, to me it looked like the kind of sexy and stylishly shot scene you'd find in one of today's Bond movies. It's not like slo-mo car chases went out of style in the 80s.

My only problem with the scene is the way Kirk somehow travels slower than the car once he jumps out. So much for the laws of physics. lol

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

KIRK: I changed the laws of physics; got a ticket waived for original thinking. I don't like to lose.

11. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Inertial Damper Airbag. ;)

12. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really...He puts the car into a sideways slide, and it seems to be sliding sideways at only a few feet per second when he jumps out, away from the cliff (relative to the car)...and when he lands, his momentum carries him toward the precipice.

13. enlisted person

enlisted person Admiral Admiral

My god I just saw that trailer, "I'm James Tiberious Kirk". This is going to suck big time. I don't think its possible but it appears they have manged to combine the characters of Wesley Crusher, Jonathan Archer and Scrappy Doo all in one. I will wait for the bargain DVD at wal-mart on this one. Corvettes have no place in trek IMHO.

14. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my opinion of a movie is based on a trailer...if that was the case..I'd never gone to see Star Wars..after all the original Star Wars trailer sucked for me...

I happen to like some of this trailer, and dislike other parts..

I'm gonna hold judgement till I plunk my ass down and see this sucker..

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Oops, sorry did not now we were being picky about youtube links to the trailer, does not make sense though, since trekbbs threads are littered with links to all sorts of copywriten material on youtube, but i guess in regards to this film this site wants to play nice so they dont lose there news links on startrek.com or something, got to love the politics of it all ...:)

16. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

It IS puzzling, given the other copyright violations you mention. Even trekmovie is flagrantly displaying a bootleg, now. And a pretty good one, too.

Oh well, 'nother day and a half... :D

17. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Sci-Fi.com. But this is the stated request of our hosts here at Trek BBS, so we either abide by that request or go home and find something else to do with our time. Like fix a leaky roof.

Damned leaky roof.

Damned wife who complains about a leaky roof.

Damned Abrams for launching the Enterprise from the ground.

18. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

We haven't seen it launch from the ground, nor heard of any scene in which that occurs.

19. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed.

So instead please enjoy a trailer for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, featuring a voiceover by Orson Welles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeF9O0OCVd0

20. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I have said before in this post, I'm not thrilled about that scene in the trailer either (maybe it will be better in the context of the film, -- then again, maybe not).

However, I'm not ready to say this will be a bad film...in fact I'm very far from saying that.