Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talfe'anhar

talfe'anhar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ok, here's a question from a fan girl. Are there any pictures or schematics, that are as accurate as possible, that show the size in relation to the people inside? I didn't read through all 51 pages of posts, so I may have missed something. Thanks!

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This teaser video for the 2009 movie shows tiny workmen on the saucer and nacelles:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZFWr0vR8Q[/yt]
    There are tons of pics in this thread, showing how the rooms fit inside the bridge deck, how the shuttles fit inside the bay etc. but they're all fan-made (okay, they're mostly me made)

3. talfe'anhar

Ah, unfortunately my old Mac Mini will not play videos, and my Kindle won't play this one either. I just wanted a reference for size of people vs ship. If you can direct me to any stills, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I loved the "under construction" teaser.

5. F. King Daniel

6. talfe'anhar

I'm just not having any luck here! I got this error message:
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp-content/uploads/2008/01/st08construction1.jpeg on this server.

7. F. King Daniel

8. talfe'anhar

Thanks. I can't make out any people, but that is a bad-ass picture!

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well said. I always thought of the ship as city sized. I loved the big TAS hangerbay--making the TAS ship as big as JJs anyway.

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Take a look at the main viewscreen/window (not the outer cladding, the darker area within that if you look closely) at the bottom of the central dome of the saucer, that is about 8ft high which should give you some idea of how big the NuEnterprise is.

11. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

That suffers from "two model syndrome." There are 2 versions of the model for the bridge detail. The window on that version is too short to match the actually viewscreen window on set. There's a second version of the bridge that matches the dimensions properly.

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Yeah I know Gerbil, it was just to give an example of scale to talfe'anhar above me, wasn't trying to be exact and as we know that picture was from the trailer for the first film and the design has changed since then. :)

13. talfe'anhar

Thanks Gonzo! Gerbil, I'm not interested in exact specs. I just wanted a reference to the ship in relation to the people who live and work inside it. I write fan fiction and that reference could come in handy at some point. :-)

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I don't think any definitive JJ-prise/nuEnterprise reference exists yet, or at least not outside the offices of Bad Robot and/or ILM, where us regular folks can see. There have been a couple of other threads here in which the subject was wrangled over at some length. (Slogging through those isn't for the faint of heart, though. Suffice it to say that there are some who remain unconvinced about this, that, or the other.)

15. James

James Guest

I'm not new here but I haven't used this before today. Am I going to get flamed for disagreeing with the 725 meter length?

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

No, but we will expect definitive proof that trumps everything we've said.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No one should flame anyone here, for any reason, but explaining your reasons for disagreeing with the 725-meter length probably wouldn't be a bad thing for your next step.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

What do you mean we can't flam...uh, yeah, what the moderator said.

:evil:

19. F. King Daniel

Do you disagree with the idea of it being 725m, or do you think we actually saw on screen was smaller?

20. James

James Guest

I think we saw it to be smaller than 725 meters. I don't know what you mean by the idea if being 725 meters. I'll state a couple of examples, the escape ejection scene, the nibiru scene, the shuttle entering Enterprise landing bay in STID and the vengeance crash scene. I'll focus on the two STID scenes, we see the shuttle entering the shuttlebay and it's right there next to the opening structure of the bay, shadows and all. The ship looks a lot smaller than 725 there, the Vengeance crash also shows a Vegeance that's clearly not almost a mile long. Alcatraz is approximately 1 mile away from the waterfront and the Vengeance easily fits into that gap with ample room when it hits the water. Like Daniel's sig, that doesn't show everything but that's the scene I'm talking about

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.