Cleopatra's Needle - Design Proposals

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DEWLine, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Bombastic? No, it's a standard linguistics term. And I wouldn't say a term coined by Lewis Carroll is bombastic.

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

No- I was clearly refering to YOUR use of the word "portmantea" as being bombastic, not that the word itself is bombastic...

And thank you for providing a definition that was pretty much the same as mine.

Ps. It also means: a large suitcase... But that bit of humour was clearly lost on you.

3. Christopher

^I know what a portmanteau is in the original sense, but it wasn't relevant to my response. I don't see why you'd assume I'm incapable of understanding your reference just because I didn't bother to quote it. Especially since you'd see, if you bothered to follow the link I provided, that the article in question overtly acknowledges that sense of the word and explains why Carroll used it as an analogy.

And I still don't understand why you'd think I was being bombastic for using a linguistic term in its proper definition. "Portmanteau word" is not a high-flown, pretentious substitute for a more routine technical term; it is the routine technical term. It's simply the correct word to use for that particular concept. I'm not aware of any other. I'm genuinely bewildered that you find it objectionable.

Anyway, can we get back on topic now? DEWLine, I wanted to remind you that the text describes Cleopatra's Needle as containing a "compact lounge" for the crew (see p. 125). I describe "the team" sitting in the lounge, implying it's able to hold at least half a dozen people. I don't see anything on your deck plans that could serve as a lounge.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I may now have some space on deck one available for it with the gangway/stairs and lift moved off to either side of the passageway.

5. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

You know, IDK if this could/would apply here, but a lounge of that size could indeed be quite small. If we're going with a ship with only 2 or so decks, I might adopt a small space similar to the small lounge on the upper level of a 747, with a small spiral staircase leading down to the bottom deck, to save space.

Again, IDK if this applies... I'm just thinking out aloud.

6. BolianAuthor

Here is a photo illustrating my concept. I think if you slap a wall-mounted VOY-style replicator in here, it would be about the right size to accommodate 12 people.

[​IMG]

7. DEWLine

I was thinking of something like that for the deck one replicator galley on the starboard side. Not sure that the upholstering would be as decorous as this, though.

8. BolianAuthor

^

LOL... well, aye, the decor would be Federationy, lol... but yeah, you get my general idea.

9. Patrickivan

I apologize for offending you. I was trying to convey a certain point and I was obviously not clear enough for you to understand. I certainly did not expect you to respond as you did.

Again, I apologize.

And yes, I agree, we can indeed get back on topic now.

I think that long distance passenger trains might serve well as some inspiration. They're great at cramming in lots of people into small spaces for long periods.

10. DEWLine

And making the passengers like it!

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know ... these examples of lounges for jets and passenger trains have some appeal, but they're also designed for accommodating passengers for hours possibly stretching out to a couple days. Better models might be found in yachts, submarines, destroyers, or freighters where crew and passengers live for days to weeks. And even then, they're usually able to go out on deck and stare at blue skies and open seas, a luxury completely unavailable to passengers on a three month journey in space.

Let's not cramp these poor souls unnecessarily. We don't want to drive Picard mad before he gets to command the Enterprise or the Borg will kill us all!

12. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

If you go Googling for ideas, "boat interiors" is probably a better search parameter than "yacht interiors". Choosing "yacht" will get the high-end luxury stuff, not the more functional and working end of the spectrum that we'd see on the Needle.

13. BolianAuthor

Well, the thing is... this ship is quite small. As such, I would envision a "lounge" on such a ship being no larger than either something like on a 747, or maybe a small breakroom, at a work location... just enough for a few people to unwind for a few minutes... a table and a few seats, a replicator, and maybe a viewscreen or table game. Again, just my take.

14. Christopher

^Which is why Psion's comparison to a submarine is apt.

As for the breakroom analogy, I think that doesn't quite hold, because the designers of a breakroom in a workplace assume that it's not going to be your only recreational facility for months on end.

15. BolianAuthor

Yeah, that's a very good point, about the breakroom analogy, and I agree 100% with it. I think what I was trying to articulate with that comparison, though, is that such a lounge on this small a ship would probably not be as extravagant as a lounge on the Enterprise-D or a full starship... it would be pretty bare-bones... some chairs/seats, a table, and a replicator... since space is at a premium here.

16. Patrickivan

Is something like the runnabout's lounge out of the question? They seemed to have made good use out of a small space.

17. Patrickivan

opps- sorry. Accidental post.

18. Christopher

That's a good direction to aim for -- something spare but clean and comfortable, with windows. When I think "break room" I think of something cruder. We want something that's compact in size, but psychologically inviting and soothing, maybe something with art on the walls as well as a viewscreen for watching movies or something. Maybe a fold-up treadmill or exercise bike comes out of a wall.

19. BolianAuthor

It's not said anywhere that a breakroom can't have windows... I've had multiple jobs, where our breakrooms had windows.

20. Christopher

I never said anything about whether a breakroom could have windows. I was comparing a breakroom unfavorably to the comfort and sophistication of the runabout lounge in general, not to the single specific fact that it had windows. A breakroom can have windows and still look crude.