Captain America movie rumor. And the role has been offered to...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

George W Carver and MLK are real people that are icons of history. We are talking about fictional characters. There is no integrity to the characters. They have all changed over the years. Superman today is not the same as he was before, cause you would never see Supes saying, racists statements, but he did in the past.

I have no problem with someone white playing Shaft or any other made up character. Why should I? It might not be what I would do but it doesn't mean someone else doesn't have an artistic take on it.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

but, the thing is, Sam Jackson as Nick Fury works, because Mark Millar reinvented the character that way.

if someone could reinvent Cap as a Black guy in a way that works, i say more power to their elbow.

however, making it work is the thing that i don't think can be done.

to me (a non-American), Captain America will always be a WWII super-soldier who gets frozen and wakes up decades later to take on America's new enemies and that only realistically (ha!) works if he's a white guy.

3. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the other hand, that's how you end up with nigh unrecognizable, crappy, failure at the box office comic book adaptations. Some auteur who doesn't care about the property, why it's a success, more concerned with his/her "vision".

And along those lines, there have been MANY successful, even good "historical" films that took liberty with the facts of history. If that's the case, and race isn't sacred, and some artist had a vision, why NOT change the race of a historical character?

Hey, if it's all about the vision thing...

4. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey kids dija hear the latest announcement?

Good Times, The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son are the latest TV shows being made into Movies.

Oh BTW they all have an entire white cast.
    I don't know what they plan to have the new white George Jefferson call the new black Tom Willis. Gosh I sure hope it's not some sort of racial slur.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Russell Crowe and Diane Lane as The Jeffersons is racist and discriminatory.

Cedric the Entertainer, Mike Epps, Gabrielle Union and Regina Hall as The Honeymooners is not.

6. PKerr

Now you're getting it. ;)

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that's basically what I said earlier! :p

(And FYI to anyone reading, that WAS the cast of The Honeymooners movie.)

8. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Surely I can't be the only person to detest Will Smith.(okay,detest is probably too strong),but man ,I cannot in my mind,"buy" him in any role I have seen him in.
    BTW,the same goes for Tom Cruise,Harrison Ford and worst of all Tommy Lee Stoneface....sorry Jones.

9. Galactus

The 90's Captain America was true to the character but it was bad. What was the excuse for that? If we are making just a movie then I have no problem with them changing anybody, if you are trying to make an accurate record true to the times, then that is different.

Why it is so hard to separate real people from fantasy people? These people are made up. They are not real. What is the problem with changing them?

10. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Robert Downey, Jr. should play Shaft.

In the blackface makeup from Tropic Thunder.

Not offensive.

11. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

It also works thematically. Cap was the super soldier created to fight the "master race." Physically, he was the Nazi ideal. Ideologically, he was it's antithesis.

12. PKerr

And there was an initial uproar of RDJ playing a back man before the facts were even out.

13. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's not different, as I already pointed out why.

As to why that Captain America was bad, number of reasons. I didn't say that mucking up the character/property was the only way to trash a comic book adaptation. But it is definitely one way.

Because, if it is an established character, loved by millions, then that character/property already works. The idea that you can somehow do better than what is established rarely works.

It only, in general, works with more obscure characters, or properties that weren't that good originally, such as Battlestar Galactica.

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I don't like Jackson as Fury (never found his schtick very interesting), but it works with Fury because the modern version of Fury really has nothing to do with his World War II career; his MU role is as a superspy who is the interlocutor between superheroes and the government. Making him an immortal WWII veteran is really outside his core role.

15. Galactus

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wil Smith will payback Downey by playing Cap in whiteface. ;)

They could go the Jesse Owens route and make Cap the physical anthithesis of the Nazi ideal, and that could work thematically, too. In fact, it makes more sense - I doubt the original Cap being blond was due to anything more than the fact that Americans thought blond = hero back then, too.

But like I said before: traditional Cap comes first. Then we can get cute. :D

17. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Now I actually want him to do it. And then have him in whiteface opposite Downey in the Avengers movie.

18. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TOO-SHAY! :rommie:

Oh god stop the plot bunnies!!!!!!!!! :cardie:

19. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Says the guy who is now quoting Russell Brand in his signature.
    :lol:

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

True, but that doesn't really have anything to do with my statement.