2ft E-D model

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by swaaye, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed!

I thought that was the four-footer? :confused:

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds more likely. IIRC, the six footer was never used after Generations, so probably stayed in it's box (unless it was on display in one of the exhibitions).

The four footer was used a few times in DS9, as the Odyssey and the Venture for example, but was phased out in favour of CGI by the time the Dominion war episodes came about. I'd say it's more likely to have gone walkabout.

3. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The four-footer was the miniature that had been lent to a restaurant -- a Planet Hollywood, if the IDIC Page is any indicator.

4. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like a CG model. It has that plasticky look and the glows are, I dunno... CG-y.

Looks to be mostly based on the 6-footer, but it seems to have the 4-footer's "buck-toothed" underside windows. The crooked hatches are probably an error on the part of the artist.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That´s the CG model that was build for the Akiraprise finale. The only model on which the windows on the saucer rim are lit (too complicated to do on the physical ones and the Generations CG model´s textures were based on photographs of the real models).

This one actually looks much better in the test shots where Gabe Koerner tried to remake the TNG opening.

7. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

No, that's a "beauty" of the original 6'er taken under "still" lighting instead of stage lighting. It appeared in one of the early issues of the ST:TNG Magazine (the first, staple-spined run), both on page and as a poster sized pull out, which I used to have on my wall.

8. lennier1

You might want to get your eyes checked. The indicators are pretty much impossible to miss.

9. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I am looking at the indicators. The harsh way the light plays across the texture of the hull, as it does on the real model, not the smooth lighting of the CG version. The lighting on the nacelles, esp the intercoolers has the texturing of the interiorly lit real model ones as opposed to the even "glow" from the CG version.

I SHOULD know that image...I looked at it every day for almost a decade.

10. lennier1

In that case the problem would be definitely on your side.

For the blind ones in here a few pointers to identify Gabe´s model:
    - metallic shader effect on the hull
    - on the six footer there´s a smooth transition between the neck and the engineering section rather than the sharp edge in this pic
    - the saucer rim on the six-footer is much more rounded whereas the four-footer has the problem with the "fat lip" and on Gabe´s the vertical part of the profile is much too obvious
    - RCS thruster on the engineering hull is just a little yellow box
    - RCS thrusters on the saucer are just a box and an extruded rectangle
    - blue section on the nacelle to the right of the viewer is obviously a simple texture
    - navigational lights near the saucer impulse thrusters are only single-color glowing spheres
    - none of the filming models had any interiors behind the windows
    - smoothing problems on the bussards and the deflector area
    - rounding on the deflector sections upper lip doesn´t match any of the other versions
    - phaser strips had been replaced with more detailed ones for Generations
    - pylons don´t even have rounded edges and don´t match up cleanly with the lower extension of the nacelles
    - captain´s yacht is a dead giveaway
    - area where the neck joins the saucer doesn´t match in color (because the halves were textured in parallel by two different people back then)
    - nacelle pylons are missing the registration number
    - renderer has caused anti-aliasing problems throughout the shot (e.g. the window bays behind the captain´s yacht)
    - the mentioned wonky look of the escape hatches on the underside of the saucer
    - the simple fact that the filming models didn´t even have any escape hatches on the inner section of the lower saucer or on the bottom of the engineering hull
    - it´s missing the "groove" where the upper lip of the deflector area meets the upper section of the engineering hull

And even the majestic six-footer did not have any interiors behind the windows or have a lit saucer rim!!!
    http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7084/gen06572211759.jpg
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2861/gen06292220894.jpg
    http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1231/gen06372225148.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^The linked image is the CG version. The lifeboat hatches are a dead giveaway....aside from the obviously CGI lighting and too-sharp detail.

ETA: Damn, lennier1 beat me to it in a rather more thorough manner. :lol:

12. FalTorPan

Yes, the linked image is a CG rendition of the ship. The windows are a giveway, as are the captain's yacht and the lifeboat hatches.

13. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Whatever you have been looking at, it wasn't this CG-model.

14. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I have that same poster on my wall. I love it.

15. FalTorPan

We are all talking about this image, right? It's not the six-footer, which is obvious based on the captain's yacht, lifeboat hatches and windows, among other things. It's not the four-footer, which is obvious based on the shape of the navigational deflector, neck, and other things. It's not the two-footer either. And most of all, it looks like CGI.

16. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ya that's definitely no shot of a miniature. 100% CG. Not too bad, but as usual the lighting isn't quite natural. Surface reflectivity is strange making materials look fake. The usual CGI issues.

my wall = [​IMG]

Sorry for the crap image but that's what I found on Google images. Mine's framed. This poster is about 4 ft across. Been on a wall for about 17 years now....
    :drool:

17. kitsune

kitsune Captain

Here you go (I know, this is poor quality as well, but it's larger).
    [​IMG]
    Or this:
    [​IMG]

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

"That's no moon... it's a space station!"

Yeah, that's definitely a CG model. But whose? Whose? :wtf:

19. lennier1

Mentioned before. It´s the one Gabe Koerner built for the Enterprise finale.

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh, sweet memories! I had that very same poster hanging over my desk when I was a child. I'm pretty sure it's still at my parent's home. It was huge.