Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There are no more big superhero adaptations until May, but there are two indie non-superhero comic book adaptations before then: Dredd in September and I, Frankenstein in February.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

How did I forget Dredd at the least??!!! DOH!! I even have an inkling to see that.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

A better quality version of the Comic Con trailer is out. It's unlisted on youtube but the name of it is funny

mongoose on steroids leaked in his pants (hq)

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Almost has a Bill Bixby Hulk vibe in parts.

5. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is it? How underwhelming! For people who wanted to get away from Singer's Superman Returns, they put out a similar trailer but done worse. The whole thing would've been a better teaser for Aquaman The Movie with all that fisherman stuff!

6. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The absolute feeling am getting about this movie is dread. Sure, I havent seen any real footage yet, but with the gloominess of the trailer and setting up Supes to be in a "real world setting" is pretty underwhelming IMO.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, love all the new detail we can finally see. The spaceship, the Fortress, the head shot of him as Supes...

8. davejames

I guess you haven't seen the longer version then.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree with you. Superman Returns was a movie I was psyched about and it disappointed me greatly. But the teaser (whose only flaw was spending a quarter of its running time on logos) was just fantastic. It's remarkable how similar and how much better it is to the new teaser. Maybe part of it is John Williams' Superman theme (The new trailer used a great piece of music from Horner - Gandalf's fall, but it's obviously not what will be used, and represents Gandalf more than Superman), or maybe it's the power of Brando's voice (which far surpasses the voice of either Crowe or Costner) or maybe it's the words themselves, unforgettable and poetic. Maybe its the iconic shots they used in the trailer, people gazing skyward, or how heroic and romantic Supes looks as he steps to rather tiny (in comparison) Lois, or the fantastic shot from above both of them as he takes off. Or maybe its the glimmer in Routh's eyes before he rockets down to Earth. The new trailer, which looks more like the first hour of Batman Begins, doesn't come close, despite teasing the audience in the same way.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DMCd7hv1w[/yt]

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah some of those shots remind me of a Terence Malick film.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. yeah, I definitely wish that was the trailer I'd seen on the big screen in front of 'Dark Knight Rises.'

13. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

<Kicks the dog into the well> "This is KANDOR!!"

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Probably the same place Siegel and Shuster got the idea. Superman's costume wasn't pulled out of the ether, it was based on the costumes that circus strongmen wore in the 1930s. Maybe in a world where that look didn't become associated with superheroes, it continued to be associated with circus performers. For that matter, Evel Knievel wore a cape during his career as a daredevil/stuntman, so even in real life the custom lasted at least until the '70s. Young Clark could've been emulating his favorite daredevil or acrobat or weightlifter.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd want Superman/Clark Kent to be a very wise, enlightened being, conscious, confident, a role model for everyone, because of his origin, and because Ma and Pa Kent are wonderful parents. He isn't prejudiced or jealous, and when he fights criminals he never kills (but then again, that's also Batman's thing), and he doesn't take justice into his own hands. But it seems that the film again goes for the "I don't know who I am, I don't know what I want" angle.

Superman Returns had him being depressive and jealous, I never liked that.

Superman II had him turning into a pussy after he lost his powers, and at the end, when he got his powers back, he bullied the guy. Not something someone could admire.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Plus, maybe Clark was a Zorro fan?

And I seem to recall Flash Gordon sporting a cape occasionally.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Of course it depends on when the movie is set, but Clark might've watched reruns of the Greatest American Hero on television as a kid.:techman:

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Kids don't imitate Zorro by putting on a cape.

19. davejames

I think there's a way to show Clark searching for meaning and purpose in his life without him becoming "depressive." It's only natural that a guy in his position would be uncertain what to do with the powers he has, or be shaken by the knowledge that he isn't human, or be concerned with frightening the world with his abilities.

It makes him seem a whole lot more REAL than if he puts on the costume and just automatically becomes this "wise, enlightened role model and shining light to all mankind". He'll obviously become that, but I think we need to see the natural progression to it.

20. davejames

I'm sure kids did back in the day.

In fact I used to run around in a black cape for a time when I was a kid.... although I was probably just emulating The Greatest American Hero and not Zorro. :p