If There's a New Trek TV Show Then Which Universe Will They Set It In?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Ro_Laren, Jan 31, 2014.

1. David

David Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: If There's a New Trek TV Show Then Which Universe Will They Set It

Note: Haven't Been on here for ages, great to be back.

I wrote this on an Aussie forum, we were also discussing the future of Trek:

"I would love to see a new ST series set in a original universe, but i don't entirely trust Paramount / CBS. There would have to be no involvement for B&B, instead bring back guys like:
    Ira Steven Behr
    Hans Beimler
    Manny Coto
    René Echevarria
    Ronald D. Moore
    Robert Hewitt Wolfe

It's a shame the Michael Piller has passed he was a great as well.
    Many people don't like or get DS9 but it's the only true serialised version of Star Trek, it still holds up today, where the best shows are serialised. I loved TNG and liked Voyager and Enterprise but they are more like your procedurals or MOW shows.
    I would love to see a 12 season ST set post Nemesis on a cable station or on Netflix."

Cheers

Dave

2. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I say sometime in the 25th century, featuring the Enterprise-F, G, or H.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yes. It is. And good riddance to it. Berman produced some good Trek back in the day, but Berman-Trek is not the end-all and be-all of Star Trek.

4. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

I would like to see a new Star Trek series in the prime universe, the 24th century or further into the future.
    But I also enjoy to watch fan series like Star Trek: Phase II and Continues which are set in the 23rd century, prime universe. So if say Star Trek Equinox would become the new Star Trek series, I'd like that as well.

Unfortunately I also read somewhere that CBS isn't interested in a new Star Trek series, and even if they are it would be set in the 'J.J. Abrams' universe. :-(

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I haven't played it but I think the F is taken in that Star Trek MMORPG.

It's not dead, it continues in books and games. I do agree with the rest of your statement though. If it were up to me, I would continue the story, but with new eyes running it, inheriting the "Continuing Mission".

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the next series could do what TOS basically did and not exactly nail down when the series is taking place, would modern viewers accept that.

It's centuries in the future ... that's it.

:)

7. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

I would say that Phase 2 and Trek Continues does a pretty good job of proving that good stories can take place in any time period.

While both pay homage to TOS and rely a decent amount on some of those episodes (To Serve All My Days in particular), they exist pretty much on their own and don't really require a lot of the original back story to make worth watching.

The best episodes of both would probably have worked just as well set with a different crew/ship post Nemesis as they do with familiar characters.

The key is as it's always been. Quality writing. Which, frankly, has been missing from Trek for a long time (Bermanverse and JJverse included).

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In other words, during the whole period of Trek's greatest success. :lol: