Superman:Unbound and Flashpoint DTV

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't be very hard to do that :lol:

3. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

I saw it good very good! but too much blood for me! i wonder what coming after flash point i hope some thing for batman 75 birthday!:)

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Was it just me or did the animation on Unbound look a lot cheaper than the past few movies?

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw Superman Unbound. I thought it was decent. I really liked the voice work, especially for Supergirl. Bomer made for a good Superman too. Noble's Brainiac was just okay for me.

As for the story I thought it was stronger in the first part and petered out by the conclusion. But overall a solid addition to the DC animated films. I had almost given up on them, but I think I'll be coming back for more.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, Unbound was well-cast and there was some good character writing, but that was more emphasized in the early portions of the story since action dominated the climax. I'm not entirely happy with how Superman was written, since he seemed like too much of a tough guy. There's often this perception these days that Superman should be tougher and more aggressive because the boy-scout persona is hokey, but my view is that Superman is so powerful that a) he has no need to overcompensate by acting macho and b) he has to restrain and limit his use of power as much as he can for the safety of the people around him. Not to mention that he's a small-town farmboy at heart. He should default to friendly and diplomatic and only get aggressive as a last resort.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, All-Star Superman is the benchmark as far as I'm concerned. I liked Unbound though, certainly more than Elite.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Unbound, it was very entertaining. The cast was good, the story was good, and the animation was done very well. I wouldn't say its my favorite, but it was definately another great DC animated movie.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I liked that they finally managed to get the \S/ on the cape.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

James Tucker said that was the reason on the commentary track. He initially tried out designs based on Franks' art style, but there was just too much detail for it to work in animation at this budget level. He also felt that the script didn't feel particularly Donner-esque, so a Superman modeled on Chris Reeve, such as in Franks' art, wasn't the best choice.

They also said on the commentary that the coda in the credits was to leave open the possibility of a sequel.

The S shield was on Superman's cape in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2, but Tucker said he was pleased to be able to take it a step further and make it two-tone in color. One of the others asked him if technical advances made the S shield on the cape possible, but he said that's not the case. It's just that the foreign animators have improved their skills and can now manage it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I kind of want a New Krypton adaption. This could very well serve as a prologue to that if they go ahead and do one.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The commentary track on The Flashpoint Paradox will feature Geoff Johns, James Tucker, screenwriter Jim Krieg, and director Jay Oliva. The running time is listed at 81 minutes, a little more than usual. The score is by Frederik Wiedmann, who was composer on Green Lantern: The Animated Series. This is his first time composing a DC DTV movie.

13. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

qne ting I did not how Lois gave Brainiac the finger in fact 2 of them! Not smart Lois that man step on you like a bug! 2 thing you not 14 keep it classy Lois:)

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

there was a post-credits scene?! what did it show?

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It was halfway through the credits. I assume this is a spoiler thread now for Unbound, but spoiler alert just in case. It showed what little was left of Brainiac - including his electronic brain - encased in storage in the Fortress of Solitude. After a zoom in on the brain, the three circles on it light up. It's one of those horror film codas. He's still alive!