thoughts on alice eve returning as carol marcus

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gsam, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Most kids don't like to think about their fathers having sex, even with their mothers. ;)

2. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

NOT bringing Alice Eve back in the next film will leave us all scratching our heads as to why they introduced her in this movie. Would we be left to assume that something meaningful had happened off screen and then have David appear mysteriously in some future outing. Actually, I hope they DON'T introduce David. Not even fans liked him.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he was kind of a dick. But there''s no reason why the alternate version has to be like the prime version of David.

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NuTrek's dumbass obsession with recapturing the magic of TWOK needs to stop. For this reason I wouldn't be bothered if Carol Marcus is put on a bus and doesn't return. Give us some new characters and new situatuations. And, maybe, y'know, boldly go where TWOK has not already gone before? ;)

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

"NuTreks's obsession"? Hm.

From the very week the first movie opened in May 2009, the one question Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman could count on hearing every single time they turned around—from every single interviewer, entertainment-mag writer, or Trek-zine reporter—was this:

"You guys are going to do Khan next, right?"​

And if you go back to threads in this forum from the same time period, which discussed what should happen/who should be seen in the next movie, Khan was at the top of the list for a heck of a lot of people. Sure, the Bad Robot crew could have done a different story, even one with no callbacks to TWoK and no Khan at all—I could have been quite happy if they'd gone that route instead—but I think chalking up what we did get to any obsession on the part of the filmmakers is probably overstating things a bit.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Issue #1 of IDW's "Ongoing" comic suggested a past relationship between this timeline's McCoy and Elizabeth Dehner. No wonder McCoy was so attracted to Carol in STiD. Look how she wore her hair!

Hard to be a dick when you're not even born yet.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The lovechild of Wesley and Neelix would be less annoying than NuUhura.

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I count the 2009 movie in my description. It didn't do it nearly as much as STID did, but the callbacks were there... they were much more subtle in the 2009 movie though and therefore more palatable. I liked it. :techman:

STID was in the holding pattern of TWOK from start to end. Having Khan as the villain was always going to do that, but tbh I found some of the other stuff just overegged the pudding. Carol Marcus included. They could have done a much more subtle homage to Khan without ripping quite so many dispariate elements from it.

In my view NuTrek (collectively) desperately needs to break away from it's TWOK obsession. It needs to give these new versions of the characters their chance to shine in a completely new story that isn't going to be (unfairly) compared to the movie series' inarguable goal post. The involvement of Carol Marcus in the plot would to me be an unfortunate indication that they are unwilling to break the leash from TWOK.

9. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

OMFG!!!!!WTF&BBQ!!!!!111!!!!!one thank you. . . Thank you! Thank You!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Holy crap, it is like no one ever remembers this not so little fact. The Bad Robot peeps couldn't swing a dead cat without someone asking them about Khan. Is it any wonder that was what we got?? It is really annoying that some people want to pretend otherwise.

If Carol does return for movie 3, I'm planting my shipper flag with Kruzerman. . . McCoy/Marcus!! Let Kirk be married to the Enterprise and Spock and McCoy have lives outside of being his Tinman and Scarecrow-- oh I'm sorry "heart" and "brain". Since people keep claiming that they want something different and original. . .

~FS

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  10. austen_pierce

This is my favorite post of the day.

As for rehashing TWOK, given that we're probably not coming back, I would have liked to see or hear AE's Carol Marcus give Genesis a nod.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's fine, because I've set my sights on Bollywood instead.

So what?

Just because one is constantly faced with inane requests does not mean one must cave in to them.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

And yet, that is what the fans want them to do.

13. austen_pierce

While I loved the film, I wasn't crazy about every last nod to TWOK. I thought Quinto's "KHAAAAAAN!!!" was overdone. I wonder how many fans would hop into a bird of prey, warp around our sun, jump in front of Bad Robot insisting just as adamantly that they do NOT do KHAN.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm maybe in the minority camp here, but whilst i enjoyed STID, I thought there were to many callbacks to TWOK in the movie. I didn't see the need to re-use Khan, would the film really have been much different it Harrison was just another gentically enhanced superman who like Khan lef/was banished into space following the eugenics war?

I wouldn't mind Eve appearing in the next film, but I think the next one should try to be it's own creature. I'm not saying don't have any callbacks to TOS but keep them to a minimum and somewhat in the background than upfront.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it would. People would be complaining about ripping off Khan and wondering why they didn't use him instead of another lame ass expy of Khan.

Also I on a personal note would probably not care as much about this character as he would again be just a lame ass expy of Khan.

Kind of hard to do that in a film about Kirk and Spock seeing as they were the main characters of TOS, not to mention using the Enterprise which was the ship from TOS, as well as the rest of the cast from TOS.

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That's what pisses me off with fandom(s) sometimes: narrow sighted.

I would have loved to have kept the character as John Harrison. The "twist" of him being Khan was unneeded and, IMO, hurt the character I had been watching up to that point.

But a lot of fans think Augments/Eugenics Wars = Khan, full stop. Khan and his 72 followers are it in the 23rd century. And that's fairly limited thinking. What, Khan was the only one to think of fleeing Earth? Did none of the others build bunkers or lunar outposts to hide in till shit blew over?

17. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They should kill off Uhura in the start of the next movie and replace her with Carol as main cast

Uhura is TERRIBLE

18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm in the same boat, STID was a decent enough film but when they started reusing the TWOK script it just became really dull. If Harrison had remained as the baddie, even without the genetic superman traits, but just an "evil genius" with a serious grudge against Starfleet, then it would have made for a more enjoyable film all round.

She really really is.

I'm waiting for the moment in the third film when she snaps her fingers and goes 'Mm-hmm'.

19. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The character adds nothing, there is no reason that she needs to be on screen, I think there is a lot more depth to Carol Marcus character, it'd be a shame to lose her tbf, and I was a sceptic when I saw the bikini photo

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"They should find someone who will listen to the fans." :devil: