The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, May 30, 2008.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, I always die on the solos for those songs. I just stopped trying. :lol:

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I never use the solo buttons. I could never get used to the feel of them. To beat GG&HT, I actually cheated a bit. On the part near the end where is goes:

over and over, I ended up faking it by doing just the descending parts, hitting 75% of the notes. It was enough to get me through it. I suck at that kind of pattern. Once I did that, I had enough Star Power and crowd applause to get to the end.

3. firehawk12

Maybe I don't have enough "cheer" built up, but if I try to fake the solos by missing notes, I end up failing pretty fast.

4. IJD GAF

IJD GAF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That might be worth trying. Generally I just end up saving my star power. That only works for short solos though.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not good with the solo buttons, which may be why I'm not very good at expert mode.

One small cheat to help you get past sections you suck at is to load up your overdrive and then let it loose at the hard parts. You obviously won't be getting the multiplier bonus for all the notes you miss, but the ones you get right during overdrive will at least keep your power bar thing from dropping.

6. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, I'm pretty decent at Expert and I don't even use the RB guitar. Another tip is to incorporate strums at the beginning of a pattern, whether you need to or not. This helps with consistency. If it is a bunch of triplets, strum the first note in each even though you don't have to. Now you don't have to worry about re-strumming when you miss because you will have done that already.

7. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of 10/5:

Offspring 3-Pack
    Gone Away
    Pretty Fly
    Self Esteem

Against Me! - "Stop!"
    Free - "All Right Now"
    George Thorogood - "Bad to the Bone"
    Harvey Danger - "Cream and Bastards Rise"
    Screaming Trees - "Nearly Lost You"
    Static-X - "Push It"

8. firehawk12

I'll probably grab a lot of those. At least the Offspring pack anyway.

It also looks like my copy of RB2 finally arrived, so let's do that TBBS band. :lol:

Random note - the Rock Band 2 20 song download key thing is online now. Still no idea when the actual songs will be made available.

Also, I'm sure people here know more about music than I do, so I'm just wondering of all the album downloads so far, (Rush, Megadeath, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Who, Pixies, The Cars, Judas Priest) which are the best single(s) to grab from each?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  9. Aragorn

There's always the option of going onto YouTube and looking up every song because all the Rock Band tracks are there somewhere.

But if you are interested in songs you've heard before, these are the hits:

RUSH
    Limelight
    Tom Sawyer
    Vital Signs

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
    Under the Bridge
    Breaking the Girl
    Suck My Kiss
    (Note that Give It Away isn't available to download)

PIXIES
    Here Comes Your Man
    Monkey Gone to Heaven

THE CARS
    Just What I Needed
    My Best Friend's Girl
    Good Times Roll
    (Moving In Stereo, while not a hit, was the song used in Fast Times at Ridgemont High for the famous Phoebe Cates pool scene)

I downloaded the entire pack of The Who even though I didn't know half the songs. You'd probably know Baby O'Reilly and Who Are You (the CSI: NY and CSI theme songs) and Summertime Blues.

If you haven't gotten it already, in my opinion the Boston pack is the best one of them all.

10. Aragorn

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith... Guitar Hero: Metallica... Rock Band: AD/DC?

The AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will be available as a stand-alone product for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on November 2 in North America for $39.88 and the PlayStation 2 for $29.88. A Wii edition will arrive on November 16 for $39.88 in the US and Canada, with all four versions hitting the UK, Europe, and Australasia in December.

While the game will be available at "most major retailers" internationally, domestically it will only have one source. The The New York Times reports that in the US, the AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will only be sold at Wal-Mart, its Sam's Club subsidiary, and its online store. The megaretailer has struck a deal with AC/DC's label, Sony-owned Columbia Records, to promote Black Ice through dedicated stands in its stores peddling AC/DC albums, DVDs, T-shirts, and other merchandise--including games.

Gamers who want to incorporate the songs from the new game into their regular Rock Band and Rock Band 2 repertoires are in luck. "All tracks from the AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will also be available for play in Rock Band and Rock Band 2 by entering a special export authentication code for the Xbox 360...and PlayStation 3," said MTV Games in a statement. No mention was made of the versions for Wii and PS2.

"Thunderstruck"
    "Shoot to Thrill"
    "Back in Black"
    "Hell Ain't a Band Place to Be"
    "Heatseeker"
    "Fire Your Guns"
    "Jailbreak"
    "The Jack"
    "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
    "Moneytalks"
    "Hell's Bells"
    "High Voltage"
    "Whole Lotta Rosie"
    "You Shook Me All Night Long"
    "T.N.T."
    "Let There Be Rock"
    "Highway to Hell"
    "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"

11. Neeka Keet

Neeka Keet Admiral Admiral

You need young nubile hands. Fucking kids! :borg:

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't wait to try "The Camera Eye."

13. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of 10/12:

Mötley Crüe - "Dr. Feelgood"
    Dr. Feelgood
    Slice of Your Pie
    Rattlesnake Shake
    Kickstart My Heart
    Without You
    Same Ol' Situation (SOS)
    Sticky Sweet
    She Goes Down
    Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
    Time for Change

Album: $15.99 (1280 points)
    Per song: $1.99 (160 points)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  14. firehawk12

More album downloads... gyack. Honestly, I wish they would go back to doing the genre packs. There are all these <genre> 1 packs but they haven't done any more in that vein.

15. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't wait for this. WalMart exclusive or whatever, I'm all over it. :bolian:

16. Aragorn

I like the album downloads. I don't buy the whole thing, but if I know the songs I'll download them and usually these albums have a couple hits. I downloaded three songs of The Cars and will get two from Motley Crue.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I was going to say I was wondering when we in Europe would get this AC/DC edition but given that EA has not exactly treated Europe well when it comes to Rock Band, I won't hold my breath.

We still don't have a date for Rock Band 2 yet. PS2, PS3 and Wii owners have only just seen Rock Band 1.

18. firehawk12

^
    Well, when they do come, at least you don't have to buy them at Walmart. :p

See, I'd rather have them pick and choose the songs that are "good". Even a best of mega pack would be better than an album for me, especially since these songs don't mean anything to me just from looking at them.

19. Aragorn

Go to YouTube and you might recognize Dr. Feelgood and Without You. Their other hits from the album are Kickstart My Heart, Don't Go Away Mad and Same Ol' Situation, but I can't place them.

When they release DLC by the album, you can always wiki the album and it'll tell you all the hits.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Nah, they'll just be Asda exclusive instead which is the same thing.