The Fight: worst episode ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by klwilbur, Aug 5, 2013.

1. klwilbur

klwilbur Ensign Newbie

Just saw Season 5's "The Fight." I have to say, this seems like the worst Voyager episode ever...maybe even the worst Voyager OR TNG episode ever. It is too bad. I actually like Chakotay. And he and the rest of the cast probably did the best with the script they were dealt (although there was a lot of over acting). But the story is just..DUMB.

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I dislike Tattoo more. I thought the Fight was not that bad for a Chakotay episode.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I keep trying to forget both of those but someone always starts a thread about them.

4. Captain Kathryn

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is true though.

5. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked "The Fight".

I especially liked it more than season 1's "Twisted", or season 3's "Rise", "Darkling" or "Favorite Son".

6. Captain Kathryn

Agreed here...except for Twisted. I'm one if the few who like that episode.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are worse episodes than The Fight (Which is a guilty pleasure of mine. Fury is the first to come to mind.

8. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

I liked "The Fight" too. I find episodes like "Virtuoso", "Inside Man" worse. The Doctor wants to leave the ship to become an opera singer and Janeway indulges him. The Qomar are an incredibly obnoxious race who somehow evaded assimilation despite being so arrogant they seem like they would provoke other races to round them up and turn them over to the Borg just to avoid having to suffer their condescension (they had incredibly advanced mathematical knowledge and a few other things which the Borg would likely find assimilation-worthy). Chakotay going mad because of trying to process an alien's effort to communicate isn't too bad. I get why people can recoil at "Threshold", "Darkling", "Spock's Brain" or "Move Along Home" (even though I don't mind 'em) but I have a hard time grasping what is so abominable about "The Fight" beyond the technobabble solution.

And I like "Twisted" too! Love that they get lost on their own ship like that. Awesomely weird idea. Felt like one of those repeating maze areas in video games.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't care for it. It wasn't especially bad, but it was an average character piece on a boring character. My main disappointment is the Chakotay character itself. In Caretaker, he promised to be a vibrant, outside the law, exciting character. Besides a few glimmers of promise that were the exception and not the rule, the character failed utterly. What other franchise could turn the first officer into a background character? The utterly stupid treatment of native american culture that was applied to Chakotay certainly didn't help. I did like the title "Maquis Mauler" though.

10. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed "The Fight". I always liked Chakotay, too. "The Fight" was by no means a great episode, but I don't think it was bad by any measure. Worst episode ever? No.

11. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoy it; I like getting back to earth and the Academy time to time.

12. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I liked Twisted too.

As for the Fight...the idea of "chaotic space" was kind of interesting. Maybe if it was another character that had the lead it would have been better

13. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think The Fight is much worse. I kind of liked Fury. I loved seeing Kes all bad ass blowing sh*t up :hugegrin:

14. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fury was an absolute travesty but at least it was watchable in places.
    The Fight on the other hand makes me want to cry out of frustration just watching it, it was so unbelievably boring and confusing and awful and terrible. Truly the worst trek ever

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, yes it is.

16. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Fury makes sense though, I never got The Fight. Just chakotay yelling about how he doesn't want to end up crazy

17. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Erm, Fury irreparably changes the events of the first 3 seasons.

18. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

only in that Kes made the recording and knew at some point she'd come back all angry. Other than that how does it change the events in the first three seasons?

19. Captain Kathryn

King Daniel, I like your new avatar. :lol:

20. Katie O'Clare

Katie O'Clare Lieutenant Red Shirt

Me too. So that makes 3!!!

One of the worst episodes for me was "Unforgettable"...and "Rise", "Darkling" and "Favorite Son".

The Fight..meh, I thought it was a so-so episode. The only good scenes for me were those:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]