Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by James Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

1. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

I have to admit, I didn't expect to have a season 6. Still sucks to be right, though.

2. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well. [​IMG]

So, Galactica and Atlantis end this season. That's two down.

4. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

fuckers...

so, aside from Eureka, Sci-fi plans to run what exactly?

ECW?

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Well, they're showing WWE Raw on Monday too. :)

They've got Sanctuary, Caprica and a few other things but they just canceled their highest rated show. I know they've been talking about moving away from being a purely Science Fiction channel for a long time but it looks like they're finally going to do it.

6. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

I'll never understand the logic behind that move.

7. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Again, it doesn't look like it was SciFi. Apparently, they wanted to keep the show going. It looks like it was MGM that pulled the plug this time.

8. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dang, I thought it would it had at least one more season in it. How soon will the third SG series get on the air? 2010?

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^They said they weren't even going to consider starting the show until Atlantis is off the air.

10. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is why this is all so suspect. It's like they killed Atlantis in order to start up Universe.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I get that feeling too.

12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^ Ditto.

13. Etched

Etched Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The season finale/100th episode which is called "Enemy At The Gates" has not been filmed yet, in fact they have another four episodes to film by my reckoning, but I suspect that TPTB have known about this for a while. So although it'll be a cliffhanger I would guess its one they know they can wrap up in 2 hours.

Indeed. Everything I'm reading seems to suggest that this was MGM's decision not SciFi's, they want to concentrate on their new baby Universe and they figured that as the SG1 movies have surpassed expectations sales wise that they can make a nice side profit by adding a few SGA movies to the mix.

Personally I'm sad to see it finish, I'd love for it to have got another season, but I'm not surprised, its lasted much longer than some of the TV shows I've watched over the years.

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

ANy word on SG:U? Cast, start date, that kinda thing?

If Skiffy wanted to keep broadcasting SG:A, MGM would have kept making it, I think.

I haven't been compelled to watch SG:A this season, but it's always been on my catch-up list. Bit sad.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

My understanding about the second half of the season...

...is that there will be some kind of new enemy coming out of the mid-season two parter with Daniel Jackson and they will be the "enemy at the gates" so to speak.

I consider the Wraith to be the whole series enemy and would want the DVD movie to be about them, not the Asuran Replicators or anyone else.

16. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a nice way to spend a saturday morning before starting the day, but they chopped and changed the characters and started storylines only to drop them without any explanation too much for me to develop a sustained interest in the show.

I feel for the cast and it's always a shame when a show with really cool spaceships gets canned, but the show deserved to be cancelled.

17. chancellorjake

chancellorjake Captain Captain

Well, this is thoroughly disappointing news. So far, Season 5 has been great and I'm really going to miss this cast. In some ways I feel that we never really go to know Teyla and Ronon. The worst part is that I really love the Atlantis city sets and hate to think of them being "struck".
    The only good news in this is that I won't have to watch anything on Skiffy anymore.

18. Etched

Etched Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not so sure.
    I have got the impression that the "new aliens" that appear in the mid-season two-parter aren't actually going to play a big role in the season at all - certainly in the spoilers that are out there there is no mention of them at all beyond episode 11. Of course we know next to nothing about the last two episodes beyond the whole......Las Vegas thing but I wonder if Michael will be the enemy at the "gates" of Earth.

19. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

At first i thought season 5 would be the last but when i saw the ratings i thought we would get a season 6.
    I am so sad to see it go i love Mckay.
    I just hope the dvd will be better than the sg1 ones.

20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

SGA was never SG1 in its prime. But despite its flaws and character shuffling, I really liked it. This news really bums me out.