We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alidar Jarok, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Questions? Sure. Do you think you could have said what you were glad about the first time? Because "I'm glad they fired the stupid server" is a ridiculously arrogant statement, especially when you complain about "the uninvolved". I say that as someone who had MY card info stolen too. The server in the Applebees incident didn't steal anything.

2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

A return question: What part about her being stupid enough to post personal information was unclear? It was right there in my original post.

Anybody taking a moment's thought to what the server did (the *uninvolved* server who wasn't the one stiffed) would understand exactly what I meant. Through the wonders of the interwebs, pretty much everything about that pastor is known and now her signature is out there for anybody who wants to forge it.

Actions have consequences and the server blew it. And if anything ever does happen so that the pastor's signature is forged, it's not the server she'll go after, it's Applebees.

Jan

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't think it's too out of line for Applebee's to have fired the server over what she did. She took a customer's receipt and signature and posted it online and while the data on the receipt won't likely lead to any problems (beyond the PR ones) for the customer or for Applebee's it shows a lack of judgment on the part of the server. I don't think I, personally, would have fired someone maybe gave them a talking to and a write-up but that's how I'd roll A firing still wasn't too out of line.

All said, what the pastor did was a huge dose of assholery and maybe "deserves" being called out on it.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

What is interesting to note is that the company pulled the complimentary note, if they had permission to post it, they wouldn't have to pull it. By pulling it it could imply that permission to post it was not sought.

So on the surface you have two similar offences, if that is the case the same standard has to be applied to the person who posted/authorised the posting of the complinetary letter and they need to be fired. Otherwise it could be a legal nightmare, sure policy might have been breached but if you don't apply it evenly that it's virtually worthless as a policy.

5. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

No, your gladness was perfectly clear. The server's stupidity is what is in question. A signature isn't necessary, or even often used, for identity theft. So posting "personal information" in this case, is code for "the customer's hypocrisy". The customer's attitude was "stupid". She's paying the price for it now.

6. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Allow me to award the last word to Misfit Toy. Obviously, despite never having any previous interactions with me, he knows exacatly what I think and feel. From now I'll try to remember to check with you before posting, MT.

Jan

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Considering how incompetently the person running that Applebee's Facebook is handling this situation, I wouldn't draw any conclusions about what it implies. They could just have deleted it in the misguided hope that it wouldn't be brought up again.

I hope that Facebook account is only for that individual Applebee's franchise and not the company as a whole, because if they have such an incompetent PR person handling their public image they're in trouble.

While it's wrong to post personal info online without permission either way (if that's what happened), the two actions don't carry the same consequences. No one has ever been harassed by an internet posse for paying a restaurant a compliment for their service, while that is a foreseeable result of posting the pastor's personal information online. If you leave a complimentary note like that, you know there's a good chance the note will be left in public view somewhere (even if only in the restaurant), and you generally have no reason to fear that happening. On the other hand, the pastor would obviously never want her information shared after what she wrote.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Saw this and found it amusing...

[​IMG]

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Chelsea Welch, the waitress fired by Applebee's, speaks out:

http://guardiancomment.tumblr.com/post/42024491123/chelsea-welch-the-us-waitress-who-was-fired-after

Some pertinent highlights:

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Kudos to her for sticking to her guns.

A) She's not angry at the pastor, she's angry at Applebee's management. In fact, she almost feels sorry for the pastor, apologetic that the PASTOR made a mistake. She does not apologize for posting the receipt.

B) She's not sure she even wants that job back. That's good for whoever her next employer is, who will get a quality honest employee.

C) If the pastor didn't want her note to be seen, she wouldn't have written it.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, this is an odd situation since it was a different employee and she thought it was funny instead of being mad. I thought the ex-employee explained here position very well.

I do have another tipping story to share, though. This person definitely was mad ;)

13. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably time for Applebee's to reinstate her. Even if she did wrong, it's time to offer her her job back.

14. tighr

Wow, Scott R. Asshat III. I've probably met that kid, he's a drunk motherfucker.

Smart thing for her to do would be tell them to take this job and shove it. Should be fairly easy to get another job as a server, probably at the TGI Friday's next door.

15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^If she's on the West Coast... I don't think we have any left!

16. tighr

She's in St. Louis.