DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Exactly. I'm sure it's just some kind of one-off armour for a special purpose.

And now that I think about it, I think Captain Craig is right. Simply calling it the DC Comics Ongoing Discussion Thread would seem to be the simplest way to go.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Batman monthly, along with Geoff Johns run on Aquaman, have easily been my favorite things about the past three years of DC titles. If Morrison had stayed with Action Comics beyond his original arc that could have easily been a great run too but Snyder's take on Batman has been refreshing--new and modern while still being true to the spirit of the character.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@theenglish I'm not sure where the snarky response came from...I thought there was an unwritten rule on the board that thread creators had first dibs on new threads? No need to be sarcastic or snarky. I merely was asking out of respect for the OP.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I did read it right when the reboot happened, but hated Court of Owls. Then Snyder ripped off Joker's face, and is now apparently turning him into an immortal demon. Snyder writes both Batman and Joker (the characters) about as badly as any writer I've ever seen write them (outside of modern Frank Miller). I think the Bat-Bunny is hilarious, but I have unfortunately read enough of Snyder's Batman to know I hate it, its not a cover judging situation.

Morrison had a tendency to be either great or incoherent during his Batman run, but when it was good it felt like Batman (unlike his Action Comics run, but that's a whole other thing). Snyder's Batman is nothing like the Batman in any comic I've read. DC does almost nothing right nowadays, and Batman is far from the worst, but Snyder has never done anything with the character I've even remotely liked. I don't even count the current Batman as an actual version of the character, so I'm not even annoyed by Bat-Bunny. I just think its hilarious.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm not crazy about Snyder's run either. i don't get why people think its so great.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably people who have never read a Bat story in their life and have only seen the Nolan movies or BTAS.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

reminds me of several years ago when near everyone thought Hush was the greatest Bat story ever.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been following Batman since 1966 and I think Snyder has done a great job.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read Batman off and on since the late 70's. Snyder's run is among the very best.

10. Admiral_Young

Snyder's run has been excellent and I'll admit that I wasn't totally thrilled with "Court of Owls" as everyone else was...in fact I think it's probably his weakest arc of the run so far. Everything since has been superb. Plus Greg Capullo's art is just absolutely beautiful.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

My first comic book ever was an issue of Knightfall :lol: And I've been reading Bats off and on ever since. And the Snyder/Capullo run is an instant classic. Every issue has been momentous. I loved the Grant Morrison run as well but it was hampered by his usual confusing brilliance and mostly terrible art.

I'm also a big fan of the long form crossovers (No Man's Land, War Games, Bruce Wayne Murderer, etc, etc) but they don't hold up as well to the modern light of day. I think NML is the greatest *premise* for a Bat-crossover, but the actual comics were generally pretty silly.

12. theenglish

???I am not even sure how to respond to that??? Are you making a joke?

My post was in no way intended to be rude--this is probably the longest running thread the board has had--kudos to JD for starting it even if he was disappointed in the direction DC took.

Regarding Snyder I really think his run is a classic one and I started reading Batman and Detective in the early seventies. Even after I stopped reading DC following COIE, I still picked up the occasional Bat title throughout the eighties, nineties and 2000's. I think the only problem with Court of Owls was that it dragged on too long and would have worked better as a multi-year ongoing "slow burn" story than a full year feature--the premise itself was very well conceived and was a great re-introduction to the character.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  13. Savage Dragon

I read the most recent issue of Wonder Woman last night and I just don't know if I can keep reading it. It's such a disappointment after Azzarello and Chiang's run. I might finish the current arc just to see where it goes, but I think I'm done.

14. Admiral_Young

@theenglish My apologies...I totally misread your previous post then, I feel bad now lol... I'm sorry about my reply back.

I dropped the Finches "Wonder Woman" after two issues. Pretty much what I expected.

15. theenglish

No worries. I usually hint when I am being sarcastic--unless I am posting after too many beers on a Friday night. ;)

I didn't read the Azarello WW run but many people said great things. It is always difficult to follow something like that. Will the Finches continue working on WW after Convergence?

16. Admiral_Young

I think they are on the book for the long term when the move is completed yep.

17. Savage Dragon

That's too bad. Oh well. Now I'll have more money in my pocket.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    VALIANT is releasing Ninjak #1 today if you want to transfer those entertainment dollars elsewhere? I'm pretty stoked for the issue!

19. Savage Dragon

I'm not sure if I'll pick up Ninjak, but I am seriously considering Bloodshot. I've found myself getting more interested in Valiant titles ever since I picked up Armor Hunters on your recommendation.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Finch sadly seems to be on the book for the long term if not indefinitely.